X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Split knuckles?

My skin dries out pretty easily, and being a working guy for the last five years, I've always had calloused hands. Between that and the colder weather during winter I have trouble at times with my knuckles splitting open.

Now that I'm bagging, my pinky knuckles are taking a beating. Anyone else ever deal with this? I stay hydrated, and try to use lotion as much as I can, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
    My skin dries out pretty easily, and being a working guy for the last five years, I've always had calloused hands. Between that and the colder weather during winter I have trouble at times with my knuckles splitting open.

Now that I'm bagging, my pinky knuckles are taking a beating. Anyone else ever deal with this? I stay hydrated, and try to use lotion as much as I can, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't.
    I hear you RR, always the case when the weather starts to get colder. You'll get used to it over time. It's the price you have to pay to become a SB wizard!!!

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

i get that for sure...if it really starts to bother you i wud sugest wrapping ur hands...or play through the pain and ur hands will get used to it.

Comment

• RenoRattler
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
        i get that for sure...if it really starts to bother you i wud sugest wrapping ur hands...or play through the pain and ur hands will get used to it.
        I do wrap my hands, and although it can be nice coming in from a workout with bloody knuckles I don't always prefer it.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I had lots of problems with the knuckles on my little fingers (Pinkie) during the past years. They wouldn't necessarily split but they got really sore for weeks on end. I let them rest, put guaze over them, wrapped them etc. and as I remember nothing really did much good except reducing bag contact on them. I remember they would bang against the knuckle of my ring finger and that was due to keeping a loose fist. It helped to conciously make my fists a bit tighter.

I'm not sure that helps any but I had lots of grief out my pinkie Knuckles.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RenoRattler
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            I had lots of problems with the knuckles on my little fingers (Pinkie) during the past years. They wouldn't necessarily split but they got really sore for weeks on end. I let them rest, put guaze over them, wrapped them etc. and as I remember nothing really did much good except reducing bag contact on them. I remember they would bang against the knuckle of my ring finger and that was due to keeping a loose fist. It helped to conciously make my fists a bit tighter.

I'm not sure that helps any but I had lots of grief out my pinkie Knuckles.
            I use boxing beginner hand wraps. Short enough to not be bulky, and enough to give my hand good support. I haven't had any issues with my hands, fingers or wrists while using them.
            Originally posted by MelloYello
            I am not an M.D. and this is not medical advice but if the skin is open (read bleeding) I'd first use Neosporin (after cleaning the opening with alcohol and peroxide) and stay off it at least a day to let it heal somewhat.

As soon as the skin is no longer fully open (read exposed bloodstream) I would apply Neutrogena hand cream as necessary to the affected area(s). They say "just a dab heals dry skin" and from my experience, it's the only stuff that actually works.

I know it's available at Duane Reade, CVS, and most other drug stores, I'd use it before you go to bed also.
            I think this will be my next plan of action.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I would just wrap up. I had the same stuff happen. I had little splats of blood all over the wall under the bag, on the bag and the board. It gets a little annoying, unruly and unsanitary looking.
              So wrapping usually helped. I'd wrap up to and over the middle knuckles.
              Also, I've dealt with water blisters, blood blisters, not yet callouses, skin separation, duct tape, paper towels under the duct tape, doctors tape, driving gloves, baseball gloves, and having to play through it all as a drummer on tour in the Winter 6 nights a week. There are still times when opening a door or tying your shoes is too painful to deal with, without wearing gloves of some sort. Neosporin is cool. Then there is NuSkin. That hardens around the area and that's cool. But sometimes the best thing is do douse the area with Super Glue.
              Lots of drummers and bass players do that. It totally protects the area and if you clean the area first, then add Neosporin, I don't think the glue is harmful. I mean, outside of the unsightly flourescent purple blemishes I have all over my hands!!!! HAHA!!!!!
              BAGS UP!

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2010

Cajun Style Knuckle protectors...lol! but I'm just sayin they work for me

Check out these knuckle protectors I made. Talk about quick on and Off.

But, I have to warn you baggers that if this trend really catches on I am going to have to charge an arm and a leg to custom make these design Phenoms. Ha!

But I'm just sayin......They work for me.... they give the knuckles a well needed rest from direct pounding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinky knuckle view.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	87752 Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb side view.JPG
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	87753 Click image for larger version

Name:	palm view.JPG
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	87754

Click image for larger version

Name:	Official trademark designed by Cajun Construction Concepts LOL not LLC 1.JPG
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	87756 Click image for larger version

Name:	Official trademark designed by Cajun Construction Concepts LOL not LLC 1a.JPG
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	87755
                Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: acidentally deleted video from my youtube account
                Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Super Glue was originally intended for medical use, to seal cuts. Seriously. I've used it on myself, and my dog, it is not harmful at all.

Switching to a softer, seamless bag for about a week should help. That's what I did when I was just get started bagging, and I'd hit for several hours a day. I don't like the feel of hitting with gloves, and I hate wrapping my hands. The lotion helps too. And maybe a coat of Vaseline on the bag.

Comment

• crapshoot
                    • Apr 2010

As far as the cracking because of callouses, there is nothing to do but get rid of them. The callouses don't have the flexibility of skin and they crack, especially from the cold. I had that problem with my heals and I could barely walk. Grind and moisturize and wait until your hands warm up before you hit the bag. Once they're bleeding there isn't much to do other than wait for them to heal.

novaspeedbagger: I love the protectors (yet another use for duct tape)! I think MsD had something similar in some of her early videos but they seemed to be made of fabric. It looks like you have taken care of the annoying bunching issue that sometimes happens with gloves by the pinky. Any instructions or tips available?

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2010

Knuckle protector tips

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                      As far as the cracking because of callouses, there is nothing to do but get rid of them. The callouses don't have the flexibility of skin and they crack, especially from the cold. I had that problem with my heals and I could barely walk. Grind and moisturize and wait until your hands warm up before you hit the bag. Once they're bleeding there isn't much to do other than wait for them to heal.

novaspeedbagger: I love the protectors (yet another use for duct tape)! I think MsD had something similar in some of her early videos but they seemed to be made of fabric. It looks like you have taken care of the annoying bunching issue that sometimes happens with gloves by the pinky. Any instructions or tips available?
                      1. On the first wrap around the palm and fingers make sure to put the sticky side away from the skin.

2. Don't wrap too tightly...allow a bit of movement in order to be able to slip hands in a out easily.

3. Once you test drive them you can add layers where more protection is needed.

4. If there is bunching by the pinky just make a relief cut with a scissors, over lap it, then cover it with small pieces of tape.

5. Also, ou could have someone wrap your hands with athletic pre-wrap and then have them use duct tape like hand wraps. Then cut a slit in the duct tape with athletic safety scissors just like boxers do after a fight. Then cut to shape to your preference and add tape where you want it.

I'll try to post some more photos or a short video clips of the relief cuts in the near future.

I'll also post a video clip using the knuckle protectors to bang out a bag session so baggers can decide if they want to bother with making a pair. I won't be able to get pictures or video posted till around 8/18, but I will do my best to help.
                      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                        • Dec 2009

I get split knuckles every winter and found that Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion helps a lot. Usually throw it on before I go to bed and my knuckles seem a lot better in the morning.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Try wraps with elastic

Try wraps with elastic like these

If you have bigger hands, Everlast has longer ones also with elastic. They stay in place better than all cotton. I only punched with knuckles when I started and cracked all but the pinkies. I punch smaller bags now with the side of the fist more and only gotten dried out skin lately without protection. I do wrap up after my thumb nails dig into the back of my hands and draw blood when fist rolling. It's better to protect and survive to bag another day.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Feb 2010

I do use elasticated boxing wraps for other bags but gets a bit tedious putting on for a quick speed bag session. I love these little mitts from Lonsdale. Light, very soft leather, not bulky at all and they have knuckle protection in just the right place. Works for me and easy to get on and off.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...