first time speed bagger, is my euipment adequate,or is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2009

first time speed bagger, is my euipment adequate,or is it just me?

hi everyone, hope im in the right place to post this .ive just gotten my first speed bag, ive been boxing for years but never had the chance to use one before. im wondering if the gear i have is why im having a bit of trouble as i have no basis for comparison. the swivel i have is not like any other i keep seeing, very noisy and seems to have some play on it that doesnt look right to me(but how would i know).it only rebounds well in one direction, if it turns to the side i have to tap it a few times so it comes back rebounding straight again.dunno if that makes sense hopefully i can work out how to attach a short video. thanks for any help.
    ryan
    well looks like i cant upload anything to attach, i dont know why im finding this so hard i never normally have any bother. it says cant attach because a security token is missing? now is just taking forever to upload 30 sec vid. maybe it is attached..i just dont know
    Last edited by ryan; 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM.
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Hey Ryan, a great name you have there, my surname.

Are you posting your video's to youtube first, this is the normal way. either simply copy and paste the url or follow the instructions here
    My video's can take upto an hour to upload, this is due to the file format your trying to upload. Unless you have software to change the format, then just wait for the upload to complete. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome to the forum, ryan. Try posting some pictures of your swivel if you can't post a video. UK is right though, upload the video to YouTube first and then link to it. Of course, you'll need to create a YT account first.

I'm not sure what is causing the "security token is missing" message. Maybe Tim can shed some light on that.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        Welcome to the forum, ryan. Try posting some pictures of your swivel if you can't post a video. UK is right though, upload the video to YouTube first and then link to it. Of course, you'll need to create a YT account first.
        Yes, definitely upload the video to YouTube.

I'm not sure what is causing the "security token is missing" message. Maybe Tim can shed some light on that.
        I'm not sure what would cause that error. Did you see that on this site?

Also here is a youtube explaining how to upload:

Comment

• ryan
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2009

hi thanks for the help, i was just being rubbish. an irish fella once had a good old shout at me because my first name was a surname, he said it was riduclous..like calling a new born baby smith, i think he wanted me to change it ("~). im putting a couple of vid on here one of the swivel in question and the other of me on my bag after about 4 and a bit hours practice. id love some help with my technique if you could give any.
          cheers
          ryan.ps. the show of 5 fingers was a note to self that im at about 5 hours practice so one day i can look back and have an excuse

Comment

• ryan
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2009

hi biff thanks for the reply, i hope this is going to you, im replying to everyone in turn i think/hope. i will stick a short video on here of my swivel if you get a chance to look at it , thanks mate
            ryan

Comment

• ukspeedbag
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Did you manage to tighten the swivel?

Some weight ontop of the platform would be a good start, sounds to me like it needs it.

I never heard anyone in my family make such comments about Ryan being a first name. Sounds to me like you met a nut! We named our daughter Diaz. What would the Mr and Mrs's Diaz's say about that?

Your technique is looking good Ryan.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is hang around the forum, keep practising and purchase The Speed Bag Bible, a fantastic tool for the speed bagger.

Happy new year mate.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Ryan, I'm new to speedbaggin' too (about a month and a half), I was discouraged my first day or two when I began ( felt like I had "NO" coordination). But stay with it and "very" quickly, you'll begin to get your timing. It's best to go slow (not hard and fast all the time) until you get the feel of each technique. I've gotten great advice and info here on the forum. Get Alan Kahns "Speedbag Bible" and DVD ( forum members get a discount). It will turn you on to numerous techniques and combos. Once you take it from there, the sky will be the limit! Good Luck!
                Happy New Year!
                T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• ryan
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2009

heh heh what would mr amd mrs diaz think? i like it made me chuckle that did.

i did try and tighten the swivel and the nut and bolt inside looked like it had four little hole drilled down the gap where the bolt threads join with the nut as if to maybe secure it in place. i gave it a turn but it hardly moved.

thanks for the encouragement and advice.
                  all the best to you and your family
                  ryan.

Comment

• ryan
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2009

thanks for taking the time to reply mate. i think that is my probelm i just want to be good at it, im totally addicted to it, its a wierd feeling,. im trying to hit it hard to get some speed up. thanks for the advice and encouragement
                    ryan

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                      its a wierd feeling,. im trying to hit it hard to get some speed up. thanks for the advice and encouragement
                      ryan
                      Putting some weight on the platform will speed things up a bit, you'll be surprised with the difference it'll make.

Enjoy!

Comment

• fingers
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • May 2008

Hey Ryan! i just noticed you are from the UK too! (i recognized the lonsdale speed ball) try Sugar rays site out they have some decent swivels, but we cant seem to get the metal ball hook in the UK but this is a decent swivel http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/bbe-elite-swivel..html i think the one you have has a bit to much free play, hope this helps. Fingers

Comment

• Tim
                          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                          hi biff thanks for the reply, i hope this is going to you, im replying to everyone in turn i think/hope. i will stick a short video on here of my swivel if you get a chance to look at it , thanks mate
                          ryan
                          Per the comments the others have made, it definitely looks like it could use some tightening. Generally speaking, most of us prefer a ball hook swivel. Until you get that resolved I wouldn't stop bagging. Something is better than nothing !!!!!

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...