• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stans_with_fist
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2011

Mounting a platform with low ceiling height

Hello,
    I just found this forum recently and am very impressed with the collective knowledge of all the members here. I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions for mounting a speedbag platform in an area with low ceiling height.

I want to mount a platform on a concrete wall in my garage, but the ceiling is very low. The picture below shows the wall (approximately 78 inches high) with a black line indicating the suggested height for the rebound board. I do have a very old Everlast platform (tubular model) from my college days, but it requires at least 12 inches of clearance, so the rebound board would be too low.

The other option I’m considering is the single column platform style from TKO Sports (http://www.tko.com/store/pc/item-det...&idproduct=391) I like this set up because it doesn’t appear to require a lot of space above the rebound board. My rebound board needs to be about 6 inches below the ceiling in order to have the proper height for striking the bag.

Does anyone have positive experiences with the single column platform? I read in another thread the major drawback is excess vibration since there is only one column to absorb the energy. Otherwise, any other suggestions for setting up a platform in areas with low clearance? Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $100 on the set up.

Thanks,
    Stans
    Attached Files
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

Welcome to the forum.

Another option is to make your own mounting system to mount your platform from the ceiling joists. You can make it very stable that way. It’s more difficult if you want the platform to be adjustable. You could make something to mount to the wall too but mounting to the ceiling is simple and stable.

Comment

• jumpcannon
      Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

What is your cieling made out of? Is it sturdy wood? I have the same problem and look at my avatar pic. I mounted 2x12" to my cieling then used 2 pieces of 3/4" mdf and liquid nailed them together for the drum. Its very solid. You could use 2x4" for your cieling frame then screw the mdf into that like i did. Then from cieling to bottom of board will put you right at. 5" (3 1/2" for the 2x4's and 1 1/2" for the thickness of the board). Depending the size of bag and length of the swivel will really determine the height you need for a fixed platform. You will eventually evolve into a small bag (6x9 or less). So i would probably adjust your dimensions to that. My board is about 1 1/2" from the top of my head and its perfect for me. Hope this helps some! I used a 24" x 48" piece of mdf and cut it right down the middle, glued it, then cut out my 24" daimeter circle. This was hell with a hand held jigsaw but it only cost me $10 for the board. I made one for my friend shortly after the same way except i cut the corners off with a circular saw and made it a hexagonal shape.....WAY EASIER!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by jumpcannon; 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM.
      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2011

Thanks for the great input!

The ceiling is 1/2" inch sheet rock covering standard floor joists (2" x 12"?).

I guess I could mount it to the ceiling joists, but I was trying to avoid that since there is a great room on the floor above (and the vibrations would bug my wife and kids). I thought mounting on the concrete wall would eliminate any vibrations reverberating into the house.

I still have the old Everlast rebound board and swivel, but its 1/2" inch particle board, so needs more reinforcement. I do have a circular saw, jigsaw and router, so I can definitely construct something with wood or MDF.

I was trying to construct a platform last week using a set of iron bed rails, but I gave up because I couldn't drill through the iron. And I also need someone to weld it.

I'll report back when I get this figured out. I'm really looking forward to incorporating this activity into my fitness regime.

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Originally posted by Stans_with_fist View Post
          Thanks for the great input!

The ceiling is 1/2" inch sheet rock covering standard floor joists (2" x 12"?).

I guess I could mount it to the ceiling joists, but I was trying to avoid that since there is a great room on the floor above (and the vibrations would bug my wife and kids). I thought mounting on the concrete wall would eliminate any vibrations reverberating into the house.

I still have the old Everlast rebound board and swivel, but its 1/2" inch particle board, so needs more reinforcement. I do have a circular saw, jigsaw and router, so I can definitely construct something with wood or MDF.

I was trying to construct a platform last week using a set of iron bed rails, but I gave up because I couldn't drill through the iron. And I also need someone to weld it.

I'll report back when I get this figured out. I'm really looking forward to incorporating this activity into my fitness regime.
          My cieling was the same way. I had to locate the joist through a plasture cieling and mount it. Yes it definately makes some noise upstairs. I would say mount it to the concrete wall if you can find a way. You may try getting a non-adjustable board with lower clearance. I hear they are more sturdy than adjustables. But then that would probably put you over your $100 dollar budget.
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

Hi Stan welcome to the forum! the type of platform you need is one like this!http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/pro-...with-ball.html

i am in the UK but i am sure they have the equivalent in the US! there are pictures in my album on my profile page hope this helps. Fingers
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fingers; 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2011

Hi Fingers,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I like your setup as it looks very solid. I see the frame is bolted to your concrete wall, but do you also have it supported from the ceiling, too? I couldn't tell from the various pics in your album.

BTW, do you still have any snow over there in the UK? I work for the Economist magazine, so several of my colleagues in the UK had travel troubles during the Christmas holiday.

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

I work for the Economist magazine...
                Awesome, read it all the time. At the library. A bit pricey, got to save my money for more bags...

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

Hi Fingers,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I like your setup as it looks very solid. I see the frame is bolted to your concrete wall, but do you also have it supported from the ceiling, too? I couldn't tell from the various pics in your album.

BTW, do you still have any snow over there in the UK? I work for the Economist magazine, so several of my colleagues in the UK had travel troubles during the Christmas holiday.
                  Hi Stan!! the frame is bolted directly to the wall! i also used a piece of kitchen worktop and drilled through the holes on the drum glued together and bolted to the frame! this adds thickness there is no ceiling support only my old army kit-bag filled with rags on top it is very solid but non adjustable!!

We had snow for about a week! cleared up for now i think we have been lucky here in the south-west of the country.....well they do call it the English Riviera LOL.

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

i have always wanted to visit England
                    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello,
                      I just found this forum recently and am very impressed with the collective knowledge of all the members here. I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions for mounting a speedbag platform in an area with low ceiling height.

I want to mount a platform on a concrete wall in my garage, but the ceiling is very low. The picture below shows the wall (approximately 78 inches high) with a black line indicating the suggested height for the rebound board. I do have a very old Everlast platform (tubular model) from my college days, but it requires at least 12 inches of clearance, so the rebound board would be too low.

The other option I’m considering is the single column platform style from TKO Sports (http://www.tko.com/store/pc/item-det...&idproduct=391) I like this set up because it doesn’t appear to require a lot of space above the rebound board. My rebound board needs to be about 6 inches below the ceiling in order to have the proper height for striking the bag.

Does anyone have positive experiences with the single column platform? I read in another thread the major drawback is excess vibration since there is only one column to absorb the energy. Otherwise, any other suggestions for setting up a platform in areas with low clearance? Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $100 on the set up.Thanks,
                      Stans
                      Hi Stans and Welcome to forum.

I think first you need to decide who is going to hit the speed bag. Are you going to really need an adjustable platform? IF the kids and wife will be joining you then you need a more quality adjustable Unit with a short clearance at the top. The I-Box system by Balazs boxing might suit you well and several members here have it and love it. This will let you set the board up pretty close to the celing for you ( it will look like this..) and give you the clearance underneath for the kids. It is also a rock solid unit and will let you put a 30-50lb sand bag over the top which will give more stability and buffer the vibration upstairs. Yes, it's above you price point but you'll only have to buy it once, and the quality is worth it.

If you just can't go that price, you could go could meet your "close to the ceiling" requirement with this Title boxing economy unit. It meets the price point you want, but will probably need the sand overtop to provide a more stable unit due to the narrow thickness of the board, or create your own thicker board. It doesn't look adjustable, so if the unit can go down lower your will need to "raise the floor" (adjustable platform) for short kids to stand on to raise them up to the proper height. (* same thing with a ceiling unit. adjustable step platforms work well with them)

Personally I would not recommend the single vertical pole setups. Any that I have hit have always had an annoying sway due to the lack of side support. Of course if it's all you can do than don't let that stop you, however I believe you can meet your requirements with a more solid two channel system.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2011

Hi Speedbag,

Thanks for the valuable input. The I-Box setup looks perfect for my situation but unfortunately is beyond my price point. I think the Title box economy unit will work as long as there is no more than 6 inches of clearance between the rebound bound and top of the vertical columns. And thanks for confirming the single vertical pole setup is not ideal. Earlier this week I had ordered the TKO unit from Sports Authority for a 20% discount, but luckily they cancelled my order since the unit was out of stock.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Speedbag,

Thanks for the valuable input. The I-Box setup looks perfect for my situation but unfortunately is beyond my price point. I think the Title box economy unit will work as long as there is no more than 6 inches of clearance between the rebound bound and top of the vertical columns. And thanks for confirming the single vertical pole setup is not ideal. Earlier this week I had ordered the TKO unit from Sports Authority for a 20% discount, but luckily they cancelled my order since the unit was out of stock.
                          Ah Ha!... do you see what happens??

You join Speedbagforum.com - and the speed bag gods immediately start looking out for you. This happens a lot to SBF members, and they don't even know it.

another speed bag tragedy averted.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jan 2011

Hi Speedbag,

I definitely want to do this right by installing a nice solid platform.

One thing I noticed in your pic as well in several others is the height of the bag. In your pic the belly of the bag is at mouth level, while the instructions that came with my Everlast bag say the mounting height should be at eye level. Is the height really dependent on the types punches I plan to throw? So if I want to include elbow strikes then the bag needs to be higher?

Thanks,
                            Stan

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

belly of the bag at the mouth.
                              evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...