• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Speed Bag Care

I am guilty of not caring for my bags.
    In an effort not to repeat my mistake I have searched for information on good bag care with very little success. So I reached out to the companies listed on Speed Bag Central that sold speed bags I found a total of nine. Contacted them by e-mail for instructions on “Good Bag Care”. I have only heard back from 3 companies and would like to thank them for their quick response.
    Tyson at Title, Moe at Pro Boxing Equipment and Brian De Maris at Balazs.
    Tyson at Title, “Treat the genuine leather bags with leather treatment and synthetic bags with any type of disinfectant”.
    Moe at Pro Boxing Equipment, clean after use. As soon as you’re finished training make sure you always wipe the bag. Clean the bag weekly.
    Brian De Maris at Balazs
    When Brian responded he didn’t have anything to give me however thought it was important enough to put this simple but comprehensive list together for us and I believe that they may include this list with the bags they sell in the future.
    Thank you Brian / Balazs for the great job.
    “Love and care of Your Speed Bag”
    1. Do not over-inflate it. Doing so stretches out the leather fibers allowing for faster evaporation of the oils. 6 psi max, and use a gauge!
    2. Apply a common leather conditioner several times a year to further keep the leather soft and pliable.
    3. If the bag is not going to be used for an extended period of time, release one quarter of the air in the bag to relax the leather.
    4. Lubricate the loop of the bag with “Chap Stick or Vaseline” to keep it soft and pliable.
    5. Lubricate the needle of your inflation pump with “Chap Stick or Vaseline” to keep the air valve soft and pliable. Do not use “spit”.
    6. Always use a small hand pump to inflate the bag, Never use a mechanical air compressor or you will accidently over inflate the bag, even for a second, and ruin the leather’s life.
    7. A speed bag is intended to be used in the traditional manner. Never let someone use it for aggressive single blows, or uppercut blows. A single harsh blow can ruin a bag.
    8. Try to keep your speed bag out of the sun. Even sun through a nearby window will accelerate the drying of the leather.
    9. Clean the bag if you want, but don’t use harsh chemicals that dry the leather out. After cleaning apply some leather conditioner.
    10. Inspect your swivel to be sure it has no rough edges in the loop area, and is not contacting the bag directly anywhere.
    One other thing I did was to visit a local Tack Shop (Saddles and Harnesses) and showed them the bags explained my problem and also that any cleaner/ conditioner could not be slippery. They had several products but one that was a spray Leather cleaner and conditioner in one and seems to work well. (Horseman’s One Step)
    Not promoting this product for I’m sure that there are many products like it.
    Hope this information is of some value to the group.
  • m.breen
    • Jan 2017

Anybody else use the vaseline? I always stayed away from it, since it is a petroleum product. I thought it would eat the leather. I'll try it on the valve.

Comment

• m.breen
      • Jan 2017

Also....What's everybody use to treat the leather? I tried mink oil, and it just created a barrier that slowed the bags down. I think I may try the stuff my wife uses to spray on her leather boots.

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by m.breen View Post
        Anybody else use the vaseline? I always stayed away from it, since it is a petroleum product. I thought it would eat the leather. I'll try it on the valve.
        I used vaseline once and yeah it kind of shined the bag I applied it to but it didn't seem to have any real benefits. I picked up some leather cleaner and light conditioner and applied that to the "vintage" bags and I was/am very happy with the results. They almost looked new and the process left no oily or greasy film to speak of.. I'm still learning about this aspect (bag care) but my gut tells me that most of the time it's not all that necessary unless the bag really needs it, in which case you should be able to tell just by looking at it. Hope that makes sense

I couldn't see myself doing this more than twice a year to the older bags with obvious wear etc. Also I guess it depends on how often you are hitting on a particular bag.

All in all, I'm just making it up as I go but so far so good.
        Last edited by BagBoy; 02-10-2019, 01:42 AM.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...