• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chakaal
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2014

Freestanding Speed Bag/Heavy Bag Combo SUCKS

Hi all, I am new to this site and I'm pretty sure this question may have been answered but here it goes.

I recently bought a heavy bag/speed bag freestanding unit, the heavy bag is perfectly fine, but the speed bag and the platform itself is REALLY slow and it just doesn't seem stable.

I have put a bag of dirt on top of the platform but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm no professional but when I hit at the gym compared to the stand at home, I notice the stand is much more sluggish, slow and unstable then the one at the gym.

This is the stand that I am using http://www.fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=427

The bag and swivel are both stock and the same as in the picture. What can i do to make the platform more sturdy and the bag faster?

Thanks for your help! Really loving this site!
  • chrisf
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2014

Hi Chakaal,

I'm new here too. I'm sure those with more knowledge than me will set me right, but from what I have picked up, these types of stand are generally not very good. It looks like your speed bag bolts onto a single stem so will vibrate a bit sucking the life out of your bag. On top of this you are using a large bag. I can't quite tell from the picture but it looks like a ball-hook swivel which is good.

What to do to make it faster. I'd be looking at any causes of vibration such as tighten bolts, you are putting weight on the drum which is good. You have a large bag on there. Your gym may have a smaller bag which is why you think that one is slow so look at purchasing one of those. Lastly a better quality swivel can also speed things up.

I hope that gets the ball rolling for you.

Chris.

Comment

• Chakaal
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2014

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Helped me out quite a bit. The swivel on the stand is a chain link swivel. Is this better then the ball hook swivel? I know at my gym they have a ball hook swivel with a smaller bag. I have upgraded from the dirt bag to a sand bag and it still is very shaky. I guess its just how the stand is and there is nothing really more I can do. Also the quality of the bag I know isn't the best. Does this matter at all in regards to the speed of the bag? And which swivel is best for these kinds of stands? Thanks again!

Chakaal

Comment

• swfl
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2013

I started with a ubolt and moved to a ball hook. Most will agree the ball hook is the one to use. It allows the most freedom without binding. The chain link is my least favorite. The stand is what it is, but you may be able to use some of the components and do a direct mount with some bracing. The important thing is practice time under the board. In regards to the bag... Everybody has one they like best and it takes hitting several before you will figure what suits you best. Enjoy and have fun!

Comment

• kenk
          • Dec 2012

I believe that to truly enjoy speedbagging you need quality equipment. Especially the platform. There are many manufactures selling poorly designed and inferior equipment for speedbagging. This makes it really hard to for entry level baggers to take up the sport. I think this drives away all but the most committed baggers, and the sport does'nt grow as fast as it could...

Comment

• bbally
            • Jan 2013

First go to the lumber yard and purchase two one inch thick 30 inch rounds of marine plywood.

Remove the 3/8 inch crap board that comes with that combo unit. Glue the two rounds together and bolt them with carriage bolts. Mount a Ball Hook Swivel to it. Then mount it to the bracket.

Next weld up supports from the bracket to the to large tubes that make up the vertical supports two the base of the heavy bag side.

Then sand bag the crap out of it.

Realize this type of set up will never be as good as a Balaz wall mount or almost another wall mount speed bag platform. But you can make it useable for out on the patio or in the garage if you are space limited.
            sgt
            USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• bob
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Sep 2014

I don't know how much this would help you with speedbagging on that unit, but those stubby posts sticking up are designed for barbell plates. That would probably be more important if you were hitting the heavy bag to keep the stand from tipping/sliding. I wouldn't go out and buy any because they are expensive but thought I would mention it. Good Luck!

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

A few outfits make sandbags that are designed to fit over those posts. You fill them (they will hold just about fifty pounds each). The have a hole in the center that will go over the post. Here's an example that Ringside sells

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                  • Apr 2012

Dutchman has the solution. It's not the platform, definitely not the chain link swivel, or the the bag. The bag is what it is. You really need to add more weight on top. Get a bunch of old purses, or duffel bags and put sand in them. Put the sand in bags first. It's the design of the combo stand. Not as stable as a wall mount. You want a fast cheap fix. This is it. Then progress to a better bag after you tear that one up. Good luck.
                  Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...