• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kelvinhkt
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2006

Ringside 5"x8" and Title 5"x8"

Hi All,

I got my speedbag platform and a 5"x8" speed bag from ringside. And I hit it a few hours, the feeling is good!!! HAHA.

I saw most of members here saying Title 5"x8" speed bag is very good, so I just wonder would you guys suggest me to buy a Title 5"x8" to training?
    Since I am afraid these two bags are similar (size? oz? response timing?), and not necessary to buy Title 5"x8" speed bag.

• JasonDMX2
    • Feb 2008

I've never hit the ringside bag, but I plan on getting an 9x6 ultimate bag and I do have a title 8x5 yellow.

You can tell in the bag comaparison that the ringside bag is smaller than a 8x5 (it's mentioned it may be closer to a 6x4). It also weighs in very light at 4oz compared to the title 8x5 at 6 oz.

The title is a tear drop shape compared to the banana shape of the ringside. I'll give my theory that the title is a meatier bag and will act differently than the lighter and leaner shaped ringside. It might possibly be a bit slower, but the title 8x5 is a fast bag, it's very durable and priced competitively.

Is this your first speed bag setup?

Comment

• kelvinhkt
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2006

Thanks.

Yes, this is my first speed bag setup. And I just check my speed bag, it is S size (6"x9" that mentioned in ringside web site), not XS size............So I think I have to buy a smaller later.

It is my careless mistake, as I am a oversea user (from Hong Kong), the shipping cost for the speed bag is very high......why am I choose a S size instead of XS size.........

Anyway, if I want a small size speed bag that have fast rebound, which brand and bag you would suggest?

Thank you very much!
      Last edited by kelvinhkt; 03-08-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• JasonDMX2
        • Feb 2008

The ringside bags are small and light. People on the forum say the 8x5 ringside is more like a 6 or 7x4 so I imagine it's pretty fast. That 9x6 ringside ought to be pretty quick. Make sure it's got enough air pressure.

Top contender bags are also said to be very light and they make a 6x4.

Grant Campeon also makes a very tiny bag.

Keep in mind, the smaller and lighter you go it's going to be pretty boring hitting those air pillows. Atleast to me it would be.

A lot of bags are in fact made in china, so I'd check around and see what you can get over there. USPS priority for a speed bag to China wouldn't be too bad, about 10-15 dollars shipping. I'd hate to see the shipping for a platform though.

See if any of the sporting good stores in your area carry everlast boxing products - they also make a smaller 7x4 banana shaped bag (shaped similarly to the ringside)

Comment

• kelvinhkt
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jul 2006

Thanks for your suggestion, as from what I found in HK sport shop, they are carrying speed bag made in Thailand (Muay Thai brand - Nationman, as Muay Thai is more popular than Boxing in Hong Kong). But I will keep searching see whether which martial art shop is selling other US brand's speed bag.

And my speed bag platform was shipped via UPS, the shipping cost was expensive than the products....so sad

As I have a 6"x9" speed bag, so I think get one more speed bag in smaller/ smallest size is reasonable for me. (I am MuayThai practicer in HK, and want to training my punch speed and hand-eye coordination, so I want to have a smaller speed bag)

If I want a speed bag can be provided a fast rebound, which bag you would suggestion in following?
          1. Top contender 4"x7" or 5"x8" (inexpensive price very attractive)
          2. Grant Campeon (don't know small size diamension, and the price very high)
          3. Everlast -6"X4" XS (This one seems is selling in HK, I have to check that)
          4. Title - 8"x5" (Most members here love this speed bag)

Thank you

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by kelvinhkt View Post
            ...As I have a 6"x9" speed bag, so I think get one more speed bag in smaller/ smallest size is reasonable for me. (I am MuayThai practicer in HK, and want to training my punch speed and hand-eye coordination, so I want to have a smaller speed bag)
            A smaller bag for you will help develop quicker repetitive punching "speed" but at some point you will be sacrificing a bit of punching force, particularly repetitive punching force. On the small bags listed below (particularly smaller than 8x5) you will learn to adapt your punching for the smaller lighter bag but that is a speed bag adaption that might not serve you well in the ring, where you are hitting a much heavier, harder object. My point is, you can certainly rack up quick hit "points" in the ring with repetitive punches learned on these smaller bags, but the time will come when you want to bring that harder shot, which will require more fist distance and full force exertion which these smaller, lighter bags just won't allow. The argument will be made that power comes from speed, and therefore going faster produces more power, and that's true to a point with the speed bag, but I (my opinion only) have found that I could ever go full bore, all out power punching on any bag smaller than 8x5. training to "modify" your punching technique required to hit the teeny tiny bags might be fine for a speed bag workout, but for the serious ring competitor, I would counsel against it. But again, that is just my opinion. I know a thing or two about speed bags, but nothing about what you are facing in the ring. For my own experience with boxers (although limited) I do not know many boxers or trainers that recommend going to the smallest, lightest speed bags.

If you DO go for the smallest bag, then one adaption I would suggest is to step back away from the bag in the normal speed bag stance, to make the contact further out during your arm extension. Most of us stand close to the bag, allowing the fist(s) to pass through easily with very little arm extension. This position allows the hands to continuously move around the bag with very little full arm extension, which is harder on the shoulders (which would have to support the weight of the arm extended). Consider in the Ring you probably would not be this close continuously to your opponent. If you move away from the bag, it will make your bag contact further out in the punch, adding a bit of distance for fist travel and the power that comes with that extra distance. It will also make your repetitive punching on a small bag more realistic to your needs in the ring. Also, use your ring fighting stance to practice combinations on the small bag from your normal fighting distance. this may let you add more full power punching to your small bag training.

...If I want a speed bag can be provided a fast rebound, which bag you would suggestion in following?
            1. Top contender 4"x7" or 5"x8" (inexpensive price very attractive)
            2. Grant Campeon (don't know small size diamension, and the price very high)
            3. Everlast -6"X4" XS (This one seems is selling in HK, I have to check that)
            4. Title - 8"x5" (Most members here love this speed bag)
            Thank you
            1. Stick with 8x5
            2. Not recommended. I sent mine to Skunk.
            3. possibility. I have not hit it.
            4. recommended. also their Classic 8x5, which is less expensive and a bit smaller than their yellow bag.

Good luck.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• JasonDMX2
              • Feb 2008

A normal fighting stance will go a long way, use a technique/stance that challenges you to move faster. As mentioned earlier, it's not very practical to go smaller than 8x5 for training.

As for shipping - UPS is horrible on international shipping. For speed bags negotiate with the seller to ship USPS. Even with small packages UPS can easily get in the 60-100 US dollar range to ship to Asia...
              If all else fails, you could order the bag/s to someone in the states and have them ship them all to you USPS global priority mail. You could probably ship 3 bags for around 13 dollars (flat rate envelope).

I'd go for the title 8x5 (classic if you want something lighter, yellow if you want a good teardrop bag). Everlast pro bags are decent too, and if you can find them locally that's even better, unless you don't mind paying the shipping. You can get your small 7x4 everlast bag and a 8x5 and so on because they make them all.
              Last edited by JasonDMX2; 03-10-2008, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• kelvinhkt
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2006

Thanks the suggestion from JasonDMX2 and Speedbag.

I think I will buy a Title 5"x8" someday, and noted it is not neccessary to buy a speedbag that smaller than 5'x8".

Many thanks with your help especially you spend a lot of time to explain your view!

First thing I need to do is searching see whether local martial art shop carrying everlast speedbag or not, if not, then just try to order it online and see the shipping cost I can afford or not.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks the suggestion from JasonDMX2 and Speedbag.

I think I will buy a Title 5"x8" someday, and noted it is not neccessary to buy a speedbag that smaller than 5'x8".

Many thanks with your help especially you spend a lot of time to explain your view!

First thing I need to do is searching see whether local martial art shop carrying everlast speedbag or not, if not, then just try to order it online and see the shipping cost I can afford or not.
                  kelvinhkt, If you don't mind revealing - So you live in HK china? If not, where?
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• kelvinhkt
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    kelvinhkt, If you don't mind revealing - So you live in HK china? If not, where?
                    I am living in Hong Kong

Comment

• JasonDMX2
                      • Feb 2008

Don't forget if the reseller won't ship USPS (global priority is cheap) I or possibly another member can help you out. I'm planning on ordering a few bags soon anyways.

Comment

• kelvinhkt
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by JasonDMX2 View Post
                        Don't forget if the reseller won't ship USPS (global priority is cheap) I or possibly another member can help you out. I'm planning on ordering a few bags soon anyways.
                        Thanks,
                        Let say if you help me to buy a title 8"x5", how to process the payment transfer money to you? PayPal?

And how much is the estimate price including shipping cost?
                        USD $29.99 Title 8"x5" speed bag in titleboxing.com

Comment

• JasonDMX2
                          • Feb 2008

For me to ship this bag to you it would be 11.00 US Dollars. I'd see what they can do for you first, but I'll do it if they can't ship USPS. It will take 6-10 days to get to China. We can use paypal, I just need the shipping to me covered, the paypal fee, and the 11 dollars shipping to you.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JasonDMX2 View Post
                            For me to ship this bag to you it would be 11.00 US Dollars. I'd see what they can do for you first, but I'll do it if they can't ship USPS. It will take 6-10 days to get to China. We can use paypal, I just need the shipping to me covered, the paypal fee, and the 11 dollars shipping to you.
                            Don't you people just LOVE this place? Is this great or what, Forum members really going the distance to help each other. That's Awesome. Thanks JasonDMX2, for helping a bag brother out in Hong Kong.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...