• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Mayer Hawthorne & MsDeville on FS Speed Bag

I know. You're saying to yourself, "who the heck is Mayer Hawthorne?"

Mayer Hawthorne (stage name) is a 32-year-old artist who grew up just outside of Detroit. And his music reflects the sounds of Motown, as well as other music from the 60s and early 70s. I'm hooked on his music right now. He's been on David Letterman and Conan O'Brien recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl9OKr8r1YY Great music, imo. (Check him out on YouTube...)

I was listening to this one: "Henny and Gingerale" on Saturday morning and decided it was a good tune to beat the bag to. It was early in my workout session and I wasn't quite warmed up, as you will see in the video. I kept flubbing up on the same combo, over and over (DANG), but decided to post it anyway.

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

So many good musicians out there I've never heard of. Thanks for the intro.

Anyway, seems to me that you and the Fighting Sports bag are getting along rather nicely, Ms. Brutale.

Bag on.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I am continually impressed with your punch drumming skills and ability to stay on beat for the whole song. I can tell you're really feeling it and letting your hands go. Great Video. Cool song and I wouldn't worry about missing a combo a lot in a song, for the key is "hearing the beat" of that combination in time to the music. Once you can feel that beat you'll quickly find the hand speed needed to make it work. Sometimes I'll use one particular combo as the "home speed bag beat" and work off it just to get control of it.

Great job!
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        So many good musicians out there I've never heard of. Thanks for the intro.

Anyway, seems to me that you and the Fighting Sports bag are getting along rather nicely, Ms. Brutale.

Bag on.
        Ms Brutale. hmmmm.

Mayer Hawthorne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayer_Hawthorne is a multi-talented singer/songwriter/musician. His music is reminiscent of my youth.

I like the FS bag, but, I wonder if it was partly responsible for my constant flub with the downward elbow and follow-through to the the back of the bag to hit it from behind. I really have to work at keeping it going, even at that fast pace. The bag just doesn't seem to have a "bounce" like my gold Title bag. I could factor in the hook I'm using – it's too narrow for the bag loop to fit loosely on it, and seems to constrict movement of the bag as it swings because. Maybe I'm overanalyzing, and I should just admit that I need to practice longer.

I went out to the platform last night and realized that I had left both small bags out. It's been in the low- to mid-30s here. I tried punching to "Henny & Gingerale" and couldn't even come close to keeping up with the tempo. Please tell me that a COLD bag will not perform as well as a bag of hot air.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        I am continually impressed with your punch drumming skills and ability to stay on beat for the whole song. I can tell you're really feeling it and letting your hands go. Great Video. Cool song and I wouldn't worry about missing a combo a lot in a song, for the key is "hearing the beat" of that combination in time to the music. Once you can feel that beat you'll quickly find the hand speed needed to make it work. Sometimes I'll use one particular combo as the "home speed bag beat" and work off it just to get control of it.

Great job!
        Thanks, Alan. I'm going to work on the (flubbed) combo tonight. And, I'm going to try to make it the "home speed bag beat."

Yeah, I was in the mood and really feeling the beat of that song, especially from 3:06 on. I'm trying to be consistent with repetitive punches. And, I'm working towards striking the bag with the least amount of effort, while still getting a good rebound. And in time with the music... ...I find myself improvising almost in mid-strike. Jeesh, who am I kidding. That's basically what I'm doing through the whole song! I was all over the board on bag beat to this song. In at least a few spots, anyway. I have to remind myself that I'm punch drumming for the fun and spontaneity of it, not to deliver a concerto. Although, maybe 5 years down the road...
        Last edited by MsDeville; 12-07-2011, 09:23 PM.
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          Ms Brutale. hmmmm.

Mayer Hawthorne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayer_Hawthorne is a multi-talented singer/songwriter/musician. His music is reminiscent of my youth.

I like the FS bag, but, I wonder if it was partly responsible for my constant flub with the downward elbow and follow-through to the the back of the bag to hit it from behind. I really have to work at keeping it going, even at that fast pace. The bag just doesn't seem to have a "bounce" like my gold Title bag. I could factor in the hook I'm using – it's too narrow for the bag loop to fit loosely on it, and seems to constrict movement of the bag as it swings because. Maybe I'm overanalyzing, and I should just admit that I need to practice longer.

I went out to the platform last night and realized that I had left both small bags out. It's been in the low- to mid-30s here. I tried punching to "Henny & Gingerale" and couldn't even come close to keeping up with the tempo. Please tell me that a COLD bag will not perform as well as a bag of hot air.

Thanks, Alan. I'm going to work on the (flubbed) combo tonight. And, I'm going to try to make it the "home speed bag beat."

Yeah, I was in the mood and really feeling the beat of that song, especially from 3:06 on. I'm trying to be consistent with repetitive punches. And, I'm working towards striking the bag with the least amount of effort, while still getting a good rebound. And in time with the music... ...I find myself improvising almost in mid-strike. Jeesh, who am I kidding. That's basically what I'm doing through the whole song! I was all over the board on bag beat to this song. In at least a few spots, anyway. I have to remind myself that I'm punch drumming for the fun and spontaneity of it, not to deliver a concerto. Although, maybe 5 years down the road...
          "improvising in mid-strike...". Yep, it happens. I think that is a sign of progession, and I hope you're improvising a "beat" in your head, not a combination you want to do. This is about improvising sound and beat, not speed bag combinations. That concept is a bit hard to convey because at that level, which you are approaching by that statement, you have to be able to reproduce and "beat" or rhythm groove you feel from anywhere around the bag. It's not easy to create the beat pattern of three or four techniques in your head and start it from anywhere around the bag. You never actually know where your hands will be at any exact moment. You have to have confidence in your speed bag ability and sound patterns of the techniques/combinations to start any beat from anywhere around the bag, Like a triplet accent (3 punch Front Roll, Three Punch Reverse Roll, Any Triple Elbow Strike etc). I bet you are starting to just hear the beat you want, not the technique needed to create it. That is progress! It also shows that you are starting to relax more to the song beat and punching "a few measures ahead" to where the song melody is going. That is a huge improvement over trying to punch to the music measure your ON.

IN time you'll start to feel where your hands are going to be in two, three or four measures further into the song. I usually know a few measures before a main emphasis beat of a song (end of 4,6 or 8 bar musical phrase.... melody line emphasis etc) where my hands are going to be at that point to make an emphasis punch or rhythmic statement on the bag. I don't know How I do it, but I know. For instance, I'll just sense that in four measures my hands will be in the middle of a Reverse Double Punch and that is NOT where I want them, getting caught in the middle of that technique, so that is when I'll "improvise" and try to change what I'm doing to have my hands in position for a Triple Elbow or whatever from the front. I'll also know about 3,4 measures ahead where my last punch is coming from at the end of a song.

Hope I didn't confuse you in that but you are starting to advance beyond purposely trying to control your punching speed and the sounds it makes right now "at this point" to a more relaxed flowing with the beat and where you and the song are going. It's a lot like dancing.

You are truly becoming a Punch Drummer, not just a speed bagger punching to music. In my mind there is a difference. Both can own a speed bag, but only the drummer can own the beat.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

"improvising in mid-strike...". Yep, it happens. I think that is a sign of progession, and I hope you're improvising a "beat" in your head, not a combination you want to do. This is about improvising sound and beat, not speed bag combinations.

That concept is a bit hard to convey because at that level, which you are approaching by that statement, you have to be able to reproduce and "beat" or rhythm groove you feel from anywhere around the bag. It's not easy to create the beat pattern of three or four techniques in your head and start it from anywhere around the bag. You never actually know where your hands will be at any exact moment. You have to have confidence in your speed bag ability and sound patterns of the techniques/combinations to start any beat from anywhere around the bag, Like a triplet accent (3 punch Front Roll, Three Punch Reverse Roll, Any Triple Elbow Strike etc).

I bet you are starting to just hear the beat you want, not the technique needed to create it. That is progress! It also shows that you are starting to relax more to the song beat and punching "a few measures ahead" to where the song melody is going. That is a huge improvement over trying to punch to the music measure your ON.
            Yes, I think I'm inching closer to what you are saying, Alan.

IN time you'll start to feel where your hands are going to be in two, three or four measures further into the song. I usually know a few measures before a main emphasis beat of a song (end of 4,6 or 8 bar musical phrase.... melody line emphasis etc) where my hands are going to be at that point to make an emphasis punch or rhythmic statement on the bag. I don't know How I do it, but I know. For instance, I'll just sense that in four measures my hands will be in the middle of a Reverse Double Punch and that is NOT where I want them, getting caught in the middle of that technique, so that is when I'll "improvise" and try to change what I'm doing to have my hands in position for a Triple Elbow or whatever from the front. I'll also know about 3, 4 measures ahead where my last punch is coming from at the end of a song.
            Yes, I think I'm beginning to get that "baggin' sense" you're talking about.

Hope I didn't confuse you...
            I think I'm following you, so far...

You are truly becoming a Punch Drummer, not just a speed bagger punching to music.
            In my mind there is a difference. Both can own a speed bag, but only the drummer can own the beat.
            I thank you for your observations, Alan. And, (WHOO HOO) - I especially appreciate your last comment. Thank you! And, I agree...I believe there is a difference between the two.

You've once again inspired me to keep on punching. Went out to the shed last night and pounded away...

Speed Bagging.
            It's pure bliss.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...