• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Allman Brothers: A Doubleheader with MsDeville

Well, it's

Out with the old…

A punch drumming video from the first of this year. It was a rare sunny day in January in the Pacific Northwest. The sunshine inspired me to punch to this upbeat gospel-style song by the Allman Brothers:

"Revival"
    by the Allman Brothers…

and it's

…in with the new.

Some new punches and combos...

I taped this last weekend, at the end of a long day of Life. This song (and the melody of the bag) melted my troubles away.

This is strictly an evening practice session that I happened to record – hence the erratic punching. I'm trying out some triple elbow downward strikes (is that what they're called?), outward elbow punches, shadow punches, (my version of) side punches, etc. I hope to increase the complexity of my punch drumming videos.

I have Roc Stone to thank for suggesting I "step it up" to another level. Roc, you made me push the envelope… I'm beginning to do punches that for some reason I thought I couldn't do. Well, maybe I do them in my own fashion, but, hey, as long as they look good to me, right?

I love the workout, but I think I love the artistic quality of speed bagging. That beat. I can't get enough of it. I'm glad it's not a BAD thing to be addicted to!

"Southbound" by the Allman Brothers...

I had a lot of things going on in March. But, I tried very hard to make time for my workouts. They have been my salvation of late.

Anyway, I've been working hard this past month, practicing new punches and combinations. This is a progress report!
    Last edited by MsDeville; 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM. Reason: typos
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Great vid!

Great Progress Dee! Shadows, side punches and some deano side punches! Your Fist elbow punches are really good and that's a difficult combo for me to do consecutively. Great to see another punch drumming vid from you! You have definitely stepped it up to another level! Keep on baggin!
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
      Great Progress Dee! Shadows, side punches and some deano side punches! Your Fist elbow punches are really good and that's a difficult combo for me to do consecutively. Great to see another punch drumming vid from you! You have definitely stepped it up to another level! Keep on baggin!
      Thanks, Kerry! I get a little complacent, and then, all of a sudden, I discover a new punch...

I can't believe it took me this long to figure out how to do the outward elbow punch. I think it had a lot to do with strength. I just wasn't strong enough, or confident enough... And for some reason, I can do it better using my right elbow (I'm a Leftie). After figuring it out, it opened the door for other punches and combos.

I just figured out how to do what I call "Trainer Raul Elbow Strikes." They're hard to do – but, very gratifying. Stay tuned. I'll try to incorporate them into a video next month. Meanwhile, it's practice, practice, practice...

Bag on!
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

Alle'funking'luia!

Next time we meet remind me to watch out for those killer elbows
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Heppsan
          • Jan 2011

Wow, nice Dee!!
          Great work with those elbows!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Heppsan View Post
            Wow, nice Dee!!
            Great work with those elbows!!
            Thanks, Henke! I love hitting with the elbows. Trainer Raul tells me that they are a useful fighting tool–especially for a woman...

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
            Alle'funking'luia!

Next time we meet remind me to watch out for those killer elbows

Alle'funking'luia?! Thanks, Roc!
            Yes, I've been pushing myself lately to get better at all of the elbow punches. I don't seem to get tired of doing them. They serve a dual purpose – gives me a good workout... and they might help me get to the head of the line at the department store on 'Sale Day.'

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

"Revival"
              by the Allman Brothers…

"Southbound" by the Allman Brothers...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              ...This is strictly an evening practice session that I happened to record – hence the erratic punching. I'm trying out some triple elbow downward strikes (is that what they're called?), outward elbow punches, shadow punches, (my version of) side punches, etc. I hope to increase the complexity of my punch drumming videos.
              Yes, they are called Triple Elbow Strikes, because they have three (triple) contact points within the technique. Looks like You were doing some Downward Triple Elbow Strikes (D-TES) in the "Southbound" song. I notice you doing some Side Double Punches also (SDP) [southbound :50 - 1:11]. You're making those work fine but appear to be holding your arms extended and swinging from the shoulders. You might want to emphasize more elbow movement which may relieve your shoulders from holding your arms so extended. I really like your double split fist rotations, [southbound 2:01 - 2:06] Nice movements and dead on beat.

Very nice Double punch and Double Elbow combinations through both songs.

... I have Roc Stone to thank for suggesting I "step it up" to another level. Roc, you made me push the envelope… I'm beginning to do punches that for some reason I thought I couldn't do. Well, maybe I do them in my own fashion, but, hey, as long as they look good to me, right?
              I don't know why you would think there are "some punches you could never do..." for you have the control of swing, power and timing to do ANY technique on the speed bag, or any combination for that matter. I am serious about that - there is no skill beyond your comprehension or control. Some of them might be a bit easier if you either lowered the bag about an inch or stood on a 1-2 inch platform. I think your bag is a bit too high, which is affecting your elbow contacts [particular your Inward Double Elbow Strikes (I-DES)]. Looks like you are really reaching up to make that work and I see arm raised way to do it. It will also be harder to jump to warp speed or double time combo's using elbows with your bag that high, but that might not be a big deal, or of interest to you. But it will be easier to go faster using elbows with your bag a bit lower.

the most important thing for punch drumming is THE SOUND of a combination, not necessarily the combination itself. Adding a Shadow Punch (FSP under an outward elbow) changes the beat pattern of what you're doing (adds an extra accented beat) and it may or may not fit in the place you use it. Personally I have not found them to be useful in my own punchdrumming only because it is not a natural motion for me, and is not part of my normal punching routines yet. From a sound perspective it doesn't add much when compared to the difficulty of using it.

Anyway, I've been working hard this past month, practicing new punches and combinations. This is a progress report!

And it was a great report! Nice job and great punch drumming. I noticed you getting down a bit, with your head kinda rockin' and bobbin' to the music a few times. Looks like U B Jammin'!
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                ...you have the control of swing, power and timing to do ANY technique on the speed bag, or any combination for that matter. I am serious about that - there is no skill beyond your comprehension or control. Some of them might be a bit easier if you either lowered the bag about an inch or stood on a 1-2 inch platform. I think your bag is a bit too high, which is affecting your elbow contacts [particular your Inward Double Elbow Strikes (I-DES)].
                Yes, I understand what you're saying. I've been going up and down with the height of the bag lately. After reading your comment, I went out and doubled up my rubber mat that I stand on (since I have a freestanding non-adjustable platform) and it made a difference. Since I can now hit inward and outward elbow strikes, I realize that it makes a big difference on the positioning of my elbow to the bag. Much easier to hit the bag if I'm not having to lift my arms higher than needed. (Although it makes for a killer workout!) Thanks for pointing this out, Alan. You should see a difference in my next posting.

the most important thing for punch drumming is THE SOUND of a combination, not necessarily the combination itself.
                I totally agree. And, it's cool that I have reached the point where I can usually know in a fraction of a second what punch or combination I need to use to get just the right sound. It's almost intuitive. And, it's a very satisfying feeling. Part of the addiction, I must say...

Adding a Shadow Punch (FSP under an outward elbow) changes the beat pattern of what you're doing (adds an extra accented beat) and it may or may not fit in the place you use it. Personally I have not found them to be useful in my own punchdrumming only because it is not a natural motion for me, and is not part of my normal punching routines yet. From a sound perspective it doesn't add much when compared to the difficulty of using it.
                Again, I hear ya. It's just a cool-looking punch (IMO) . I'm still on the fence – and still working at perfecting it! – regarding incorporating it in to more punch-drumming videos...

And it was a great report! Nice job and great punch drumming. I noticed you getting down a bit, with your head kinda rockin' and bobbin' to the music a few times. Looks like U B Jammin'!
                Oh yeah. I be jammin'! When I get in to a really good groove with the music, I can't help myself. This is a great song to crank up and punch away to. I guess I had better put in a request to put some Allman Brothers on the Playlist at SpeedB.A.G.2011!
                Thanks so much for the great critique, Alan. You're the best!

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

...I totally agree. And, it's cool that I have reached the point where I can usually know in a fraction of a second what punch or combination I need to use to get just the right sound. It's almost intuitive. And, it's a very satisfying feeling. Part of the addiction, I must say..
                  EXACTLY! And pretty soon it won't matter where your hands are, you will be able to make that beat starting from any arm or hand position around the bag. You are approaching that level.

Normally when I'm punch drumming I hitting about a measure or two ahead of where I am. I kinda feel the groove of the song and feel where the melody is going, particular if it's a song I know well. I just hear the bag beat in my head and reproduce it through my hands, elbows etc. If it's a song that doesn't have a lot of melody groove but just more driving beat, kinda like rave or techno, I just work off the beat, which is usually in 16 bar patterns.

It's fun to listen to your favorite music and punch drum to it in your head. When I'm driving by myself with music I almost can't turn it off. When I hear music I start voicing out speed bag beats.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

WOW! Denise, you really stepped up your game big time! Those elbows are amazing. I always noticed how high you had your board but also noticed how you were getting comfortable with it. I'm constantly going back and forth with my bag height. I think I might have finally found the happy medium. Regardless of your bag and board height,you really are nailing all the techniques. Do arms get super tired after a bit? I'll bet they're really toned! Great work! Keep 'em coming!
                    Last edited by metaldad; 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
                    sigpic

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      WOW! Denise, you really stepped up your game big time! Those elbows are amazing. I always noticed how high you had your board but also noticed how you were getting comfortable with it. I'm constantly going back and forth with my bag height. I think I might have finally found the happy medium. Regardless of your bag and board height,you really are nailing all the techniques. Do arms get super tired after a bit? I'll bet they're really toned! Great work! Keep 'em coming!
                      Thanks, Patrick. Yes, I've been like a woman on fire with elbows goin' every which way lately!

Like aad03 mentioned in his Thread – Double Bumping Elbows – and how he discovered them by accident, more or less, I too, discovered that I could do an outward elbow – by accident. From there, it was a rush of discoveries... and they were mostly elbow punches. All different kinds of them. And then came the combo's.

I have indeed raised myself up a bit more to the bag, but for some reason, I feel relatively comfortable reaching up to the bag. Not sure why... But, I know this much. I get a good workout. And, no, my arms don't really feel the effects of all that elbow bashing. I'm pretty excited about the latest punch I'm working on. It's a tough one, too. It really takes a lot to keep the bag going, but I'm pretty sure I'm building some muscles in my upper arms, which is very cool. Never thought I'd be building muscle at my age!

So, last weekend I recorded another punch-drumming video incorporating this new elbow combo. I just finished splicing and editing some footage together and will probably try to post it in the next couple of days.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you in Jersey – so we can compare "guns."

BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...