• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gandycreek
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2018

Intro and Vertical Board Question

Hello. I am a new member and am looking forward to learning a lot. I am coming back to the bag after a LONG lay-off. I just discovered “bible style” and am fascinated.
    Along those lines, I am wanting to add a vertical board to my setup. Is there a general rule of thumb for the swivel height? I’m fine with experimenting, but I don’t want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • m.breen
    • Jan 2017

This would be good to know for myself also. I want to do it right the first time.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by gandycreek View Post
      Hello. I am a new member and am looking forward to learning a lot. I am coming back to the bag after a LONG lay-off. I just discovered “bible style” and am fascinated.
      Along those lines, I am wanting to add a vertical board to my setup. Is there a general rule of thumb for the swivel height? I’m fine with experimenting, but I don’t want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

Hey Gandycreek. Welcome to the forum. Always glad to have those wandering souls get back under the board. We all know Mr. Lay Off. but we always come back!

There are two schools of thought on vertical swivel height and it depends on how much you want to bend over. Some like it level with the bottom of the chest so they don't have to bend over, and some like it lower, belly button or lower, to get a more comfortable bend. At the Gathering we normally have two vertical boards of different height, mostly for different size people and you choose the one that is most comfortable. The key thing for most of the better, more advanced vertical baggers is bringing the knees up into the bag for an "upward knee strike". Some also spin around when punching and this also tends to favor a higher bag.

Here's a short clip of Juxt (Justin) trying out one of the vertical speed bags at Real Gymm.

Just when you though it was safe to go back to the Vertical....

Matthew Santiago, also known as "SpeedBagAtaraxis" didn't want SB V to come to an end. He turned the horizontal platform into a vertical platform before it w...

For info on Deville Ball-Hook Swivels, go to: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivelsA great elbow workout for MMA training for Ground and Pound. Each drum is set at...

Hope these help
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

FWIW, if you can mount it to a solid wall, Home Depot has a 30" round pine table top for $30 (I swear it used to be $14 just two years ago).

And I bet you could use a bunch of 3M Command strips to mount it to the wall without drilling any holes. That way you could experiment with different heights without doing a permanent install.
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• gandycreek
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2018

Thanks, folks. I’m going to be off work until the first of the year, so I plan on doing some experimenting.

Comment

• BagBoy
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2018

Rusty at two posts up mentions mounting to a solid wall. I've considered installing a swivel into the flat very solid cement wall in my basement and using the wall as the drum. I did a trial run using some heavy duty deck adhesive (didn't have any concrete screws etc) to attach an everlast U bolt to the cement wall in my Airbnb rental and it really works. Only problem is that now if I remove via 22 ounce hammer the swivel from the wall it's going to leave a nasty mark, but it's a basement.
            Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
              Rusty at two posts up mentions mounting to a solid wall. I've considered installing a swivel into the flat very solid cement wall in my basement and using the wall as the drum. I did a trial run using some heavy duty deck adhesive (didn't have any concrete screws etc) to attach an everlast U bolt to the cement wall in my Airbnb rental and it really works. Only problem is that now if I remove via 22 ounce hammer the swivel from the wall it's going to leave a nasty mark, but it's a basement.
              Great idea....
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Great idea....
                That concrete wall better be painted and smooth or your bag will suffer.
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                  That concrete wall better be painted and smooth or your bag will suffer.
                  That is a great point! Honestly I didn't even consider that, but the section of wall I'm speaking about was/is relatively smooth and I made sure to use my least favorite bag, the Ringside Apex. That one is a synthetic disaster.
                  Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• m.breen
                    • Jan 2017

Looks like mine is going to be a polished concrete drum, mounted on plywood, with ratchet straps on the back ( I haven't found a suitable permanent location yet). I think I will use my everlast plastic swivel, since I have not seen, or heard of anyone using a "D" type swivel on a vertical.

Comment

• m.breen
                      • Jan 2017

I just tried my vertical for the first time, looks like I will be switching to the "D" swivel for a bit.

Comment

• m.breen
                        • Jan 2017

So much for doing it right the first time. I've rebuilt the false wall for the vertical 2X, changed the height 3X and switched swivels 1X. Tried 5 bags on it and looks like I will stick with the old "Weider" bag I have.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...