X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Vertical Punch Drumming

I was in a soulful mood the other night, so I decided to try punch drumming to an Al Green song on the vertical board.

It's a little different from the conventional punching. The timing is different. And, of course there is the Gravity Factor.

I dedicate this to the Creator of "Soul Train," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Train Don Cornelius, who passed away yesterday at the age of 70. I hope he's at rest, surrounded by Peace, Love, and Soul.

Here's one of my favorite groups, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, performing on Soul Train in 1974. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46VTAAIEZc
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • G-Town
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Soul Baggin!

MsDee - Nice Vert! Nice bagging! Nice song! R.I.P Don...

Comment

• PunchDrummer
      • Jan 2012

Very nice! The orientation of the clock refines the "feng shui" of it all.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

OUTSTANDING! Great Tribute to the late, Great Don Cornelius

and great tribute to Punch Drumming! I don't think there has been a legitimate video up yet punch drumming (not hitting the bag with music in the background) on a vert bag. Looks and sounds to hold up well.

super job, dead on beat and jammin'.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Wow, you're conquering the mighty vertical bag, too. Does the DeVille household have a floor bag set-up yet?

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by G-Town View Post
            MsDee - Nice Vert! Nice bagging! Nice song! R.I.P Don...
            Thanks, Louis. It is a nice song to vertical punch drum to. This vertical drumming lends itself quite nicely to the slow deliberate beat of this soulful tune.

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
            Very nice! The orientation of the clock refines the "feng shui" of it all.
            Ha! Feng shui! This video was my "second take." In the first video, I turned the camera sideways, so when I played it back, it would look like I was punching on a horizontal drum. I turned the clock to make it look more realistic. I was disappointed in that first one...it took me a while to get into the right rhythm.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            OUTSTANDING! Great Tribute to the late, Great Don Cornelius

and great tribute to Punch Drumming! I don't think there has been a legitimate video up yet punch drumming (not hitting the bag with music in the background) on a vert bag. Looks and sounds to hold up well.

super job, dead on beat and jammin'.
            Thanks, Alan. Yes, from about 1:45 on, I was in the groove. I've been practicing on the vertical for the past several weeks. It's just as addictive as the traditional drum.

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            Wow, you're conquering the mighty vertical bag, too. Does the DeVille household have a floor bag set-up yet?
            I found that I had to throw my punches a little differently. It is also a little harder to come from behind the bag because of the gravity thing. I think the basic punches work best, and with basic rhythms, in my opinion. And no, I don't have a floor bag set up yet! Do you mean, where the bag is on the floor? Oh Yeah! I think Juxt has one, right? Didn't he do a video?
            You gotta try it, if you haven't yet, Jim. It's a gas.
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• juxt
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

cool video, nice punching. yes the verticle is very addictive. i cant believe i still havnt put one up.

Do you mean, where the bag is on the floor? Oh Yeah! I think Juxt has one, right?
              i set up a makeshift floor bag once just for the video. I tied a thin rope to a nearby weight bench,- and put the rope through the center of a 50lb weight plate,- then tied the bag to the end of it.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by juxt View Post
                cool video, nice punching. yes the verticle is very addictive. i cant believe i still havnt put one up.

i set up a makeshift floor bag once just for the video. I tied a thin rope to a nearby weight bench,- and put the rope through the center of a 50lb weight plate,- then tied the bag to the end of it.
                Thanks, Juxt. I tried to find your old video (you made it look vintage, right?), but did you take it down? It was a cool vid...

Comment

• juxt
                  Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Comment

• ebozyn
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2010

That's pretty cool. I like the music and the vibe. and they did over, under phantom punches back in the 1930's. The baggers had it together back then.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

So Sorry Juxt, but about 90% of what you are doing might be tagged illegal and has been reported as an outrageous violation to the newest branch of *I.S.B.P. society

*International Speed Bag Police

InterBag

Newest, as yet unpublished branch of Interpol

fines are being determined at this time...

(...and yes they have many files on ebozyn that are under investigation.)
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 02-04-2012, 03:26 PM.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...