• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Newer Ball hook on ebay

It doesn't look bad but would be hard to know unless you bought one. Price isn't bad either.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 04-17-2015, 06:14 PM.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Wish that they would have taken it out of the bag before photographing it. Hard to make out the details of it

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

From the Shevlin Boxing Equipment Facebook page,,,

"We shut down a few years back."

Maybe something of a scarce swivel. If anyone bites, please give a review.

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

I made him an offer and got one for $15.00. The ball looks pretty good, not sure about the housing. I'll let you know when I get it. He has a few so maybe it will be decent and others will want one.

fedora

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by fedora View Post
          I made him an offer and got one for $15.00. The ball looks pretty good, not sure about the housing. I'll let you know when I get it. He has a few so maybe it will be decent and others will want one.

fedora
          Great news.

Comment

• Bag Man
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            From the Shevlin Boxing Equipment Facebook page,,,

"We shut down a few years back."

Maybe something of a scarce swivel. If anyone bites, please give a review.
            Shevlin was a small family run company on Long Island that would custom make gloves. Their products were exceptional. I have a pair of bag mitts that wear like they are made of steel. Would not be surprised if this was a well made swivel.
            "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.......

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                Shevlin was a small family run company on Long Island that would custom make gloves. Their products were exceptional. I have a pair of bag mitts that wear like they are made of steel. Would not be surprised if this was a well made swivel.
                thanks for the info. The swivel shipped out today. If it's a high quality one the price is certainly right. When I get it I'll compare it to my older everlast ball hook.

fedora

Comment

• Bag Man
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.......
                  Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about them.

They had closed and then reopened for a while and then closed for good a few years back. They were real nice folks.
                  "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• drag-on389
                    • May 2014

thanks for the info. The swivel shipped out today. If it's a high quality one the price is certainly right. When I get it I'll compare it to my older everlast ball hook.

fedora
                    There is an everlast 4440 swivel on ebay. Will you be comparing it to a swivel of this age. Is this a quality swivel? I put the item number but it took me to a different site. so i deleted it.
                    Last edited by drag-on389; 04-15-2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

I saw that one and I'm not sure of it's age. Someone else here will know. The one I have is probably older I think. It has an offset hook which I believe the newer ones didn't have.

fedora

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

I got this swivel today. It's a made in Taiwan special. The bolt pattern fits my Whitely No jump base but not my vintage Everlast so I couldn't hang it up. It's okay for what you pay for it, 15 to 17 dollars. But as has been recommended before I'd just buy a new plastic everlast for around 6 bucks and put this metal ball and hook into it. I tried it that way on a plastic everlast I have and it worked ok. The base looks like it would chip pretty easily, so if you get one thats what I would do. Also the eye and hook hang a little lower than an Everlast so it isn't as fast.

My two cents worth.

fedora

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

I got this swivel today. It's a made in Taiwan special. The bolt pattern fits my Whitely No jump base but not my vintage Everlast so I couldn't hang it up. It's okay for what you pay for it, 15 to 17 dollars. But as has been recommended before I'd just buy a new plastic everlast for around 6 bucks and put this metal ball and hook into it. I tried it that way on a plastic everlast I have and it worked ok. The base looks like it would chip pretty easily, so if you get one thats what I would do. Also the eye and hook hang a little lower than an Everlast so it isn't as fast.

My two cents worth.

fedora
                          Deja vu. Seems we've discussed this Taiwan made swivel long long ago.

Comment

• fedora
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Dec 2012

I forgot to mention this had the name "Porter" on it. I've never heard of it.

I took the eye and hook out of the ball and after a few minutes on my bench grinder I shortened up the eye and then with a pair of vice grips I closed up the hook some so it would hold the bag on better. I put it back in a plastic everlast base and tried it and it worked very well.

fedora

Comment

• simonb
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Nov 2015

fedora
                              Hi: Just saw this post - I'm looking at buying a Shevlin swivel off eBay. How did yours turn out? Thanks, Simon

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...