X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • INDYFIGHTER
    • Sep 2006

Dyna-flex Powerball

Anyone played with one of these? I've got one and it's pretty cool! Works your forearms. I've been walking around work with mine awhile but recently I've been useing a fist roll motion to keep it going and it really works the muscles you use for speedbaging. http://www.dynaflex-intl.com/
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

So you're talking about the Gyro-Ball thing? Isn't it a pain to thread it each time? I remember doing that with gryoscopes as a kid. Looks kool, how much did it cost?

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
      • Sep 2006

The string is just to get you started. Once you get the hang of it you don't need the string to start it anymore just a spin with your thumb is enough. I threw away the string the second day I had it. I bought mine at Sharper Image but it was $40 and has L.E.D. lights that light up when you're using it. I found them at Dicks without the lights for $20.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I got one of these little dandies a couple of weeks ago. My forearms and hands were so sore for the first few days of using these because it's so much fun to play with. It didn't take me long to figure out how to spin it with my thumb and get it going by twisting it. At first I had a hard time understanding how it was exercise but when I figured out how to use it and really get that thing spinning and did it for a while, it hurt like hell!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Dynaflex balls

I'd be interested to find out how these things help with speed bag punching. Have you noticed any direct effects on your speed bag routines?
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

I haven't yet, but I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks. If it strengthens your forearms and grip, do you think that could make a difference?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Dynaflex

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
              I haven't yet, but I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks. If it strengthens your forearms and grip, do you think that could make a difference?
              Of course that helps in many things, but I'm Not sure how stonger forearms and grip directly affect that speed bag. I'm just wondering about all that highly repetitive motion on the elbow joints and wrists. I might try and research that on pubmed.org or several other sports medicine research sites.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Of course that helps in many things, but I'm Not sure how stonger forearms and grip directly affect that speed bag. I'm just wondering about all that highly repetitive motion on the elbow joints and wrists. I might try and research that on pubmed.org or several other sports medicine research sites.

I don't know either how it could affect hitting the speed bag. I bought it because I was interested in it. My son and I both enjoy playing with it and it does provide pretty good exercise.

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
                  • Sep 2006

I also don't think it would improve your speedbagging. The muscles that get sore on the speedbag (for me anyway) are the shoulders and the muscles going from the shoulders towards the neck (I don't know what they are called). When using the dyna-flex it just works my forearms, wrists, and grip strengh. Most of the movement when using the dyna-flex is in the wrist, and when hitting the speedbag most of my movement is in the shoulders/elbows.

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                    • Sep 2006

Try holding your arm up like you're doing a front roll. Use the same motion with the whole arm as you would hitting the bag. You'll work you shoulder.

Comment

• BillyMack
                      • Sep 2006

I just got one of these as a gift. I got the one that lights up as you get it going. It is quite fun, and it definitely gives your forearms a nice workout. I'm actually pretty sore. Whether or not this will translate to better performance on the speedbag is debatable, but I am enjoying the workout nonetheless, and it's easy to carry around and work it in the office or in the car.

Comment

• Chawncy
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Dec 2006

I've been using these since they were called the "DynaBee" back in the day. They are awesome at hand and forearm strengthening. I use mine mainly on the commute to and from work. It provides a nice work out and really helps out with stress/road rage

Comment

• jaguiler
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jan 2007

I have one of these too.... I play lots of racquetball ... so I hope it strengthens my wrists - dealing with tendonitis in the it now....

I want to see a video of someone hitting a speedbag with the powerball running - seems like a front fist roll should be fine...or a FCP - better yet with two powerballs....

Comment

• Roscoe
                            • May 2006

Delts & Traps

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
                            ".......The muscles that get sore on the speedbag (for me anyway) are the shoulders and the muscles going from the shoulders towards the neck (I don't know what they are called).
                            Not trying to change the subject but since I started doing standing dumbell overhead presses and alternating with shrugs my endurance on the speedbag has gone up a lot. Just my two cents.

Roscoe

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                              Not trying to change the subject but since I started doing standing dumbell overhead presses and alternating with shrugs my endurance on the speedbag has gone up a lot. Just my two cents.

Roscoe
                              I think the trapezius muscles play a main "secondary" role in holding the arms up. When the elbows are raise, the shoulder girdle and scapula shifts upward, which is mainly a trapezius motion, particularly the upper fibers.

When I haven't hit the speed bag for a while and then give it about an hour or so, my traps are usually sore the next day.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...