Is There Such Thing As A Speedbag Preassure Gauge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NABALCHI
    • Nov 2007

Is There Such Thing As A Speedbag Preassure Gauge??

All The Air Preassure Gauges Ive Seen Are Tire Gauges And They Start At 5 Psi Most Of The Speed Bags Are 4psi. How Can I Know If Its Inflated Correctly To 4 Psi?? Is There Such Gauge??? Because I Cant Seem To Make Other Gauges Work For Me...
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I don't know of one, although I haven't looked much.

After a while you'll get an intuitive feel for what's right. You definitely don't want to hit a bag that is hard as a rock, and you don't want one that is really mushy either. Varying the air pressure is an important technique to speed up (more air) or slow down (less air) the rebounds, allowing you to ease your way into a different bag size. So I don't know that it's vitally important to have 4 psi instead of 3.8 psi or 4.2 psi, etc.
    Last edited by Tim; 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by NABALCHI View Post
      All The Air Preassure Gauges Ive Seen Are Tire Gauges And They Start At 5 Psi Most Of The Speed Bags Are 4psi. How Can I Know If Its Inflated Correctly To 4 Psi?? Is There Such Gauge??? Because I Cant Seem To Make Other Gauges Work For Me...
      Any kind of sports air-guage would work, like this spaulding set or this digital guage from Mikasa Sports.

Tim is correct about air pressure variance, and I have always found "proper air guage measurement" of 4 psi to leave me with what I thought was a slightly underinflated bag. Seems like when I used them (many years ago) the bag leather wasn't quite all the way stretched out smooth, and we would usually go back and give it an extra pump or two to make it react better.

Look here under speed bag tips for a note about inflating a bag without an air guage available.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

I use the Spalding Power Pump with a gauge shown here:

http://www.dazadi.com/product_initia...h_Gauge_(8313R)

Some bags post max pressure usually around 4 pounds which is actually pretty hard I found for a bag.

Like Tim and Alan stated, I just go by what feels good for me, which turns out to be the 2 or 3 lb range.

Comment

• firemanjer
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2007

I have used this gauge from the pocket pump company. (Cut & Paste the link). I use it if I'm not sure of the "feel" of the bag like the others stated above. I use a couple of boards at different places. If you have a lot of vibration in the board, you can adjust the pressure up or down to accommodate. This gauge is pretty accurate to the "feel" I prefer. You should not over inflate for long term. Your hands and the leather of the bag will suffer.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by firemanjer View Post
            I have used this gauge from the pocket pump company. (Cut & Paste the link). I use it if I'm not sure of the "feel" of the bag like the others stated above. I use a couple of boards at different places. If you have a lot of vibration in the board, you can adjust the pressure up or down to accommodate. This gauge is pretty accurate to the "feel" I prefer. You should not over inflate for long term. Your hands and the leather of the bag will suffer.

tandum air gauge
            Firemanjer, that is a great point. Every board effects the rebound and workout as much as the bag. Most of us probably use the same board over and over every day or week and overlook how that factors in. And you are correct that adjusting air pressure is a way to compensate for that.

The reason why I felt that 4 psi was a little "low" was that when I did use air guages (early 1970's) I was normally using a bigger bag by Tuf Wear, which is what Memphis State University carried.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 12-23-2007, 10:47 AM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hearlouis
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2021

Stopped in here earlier to look for a pump recommendation. Most of the above links are 404 today. Bought the pump below in October and really like it. Cost about $20.00 and included a nice soft case.

https://thelatestbreakingnews.com/ba...latable-balls/

Click image for larger version

Name:	eballPump.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	124772

Comment

• Pete
                • Nov 2020

I had the one pictured above and the regulator stopped working. Maybe I just got a dud. I picked up one from the balazs site and it has held up.
                Speed Bag Accessories (balazsboxing.com)

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...