Why is it so hard to find decent equipment in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisMCR
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2015

Why is it so hard to find decent equipment in the UK?

First off - hello everyone!

I just joined yesterday and will hopefully get to know you all soon.

I wanted to make this post because I've noticed that when it comes to boxing equipment, the UK seems to be really lacking, especially compared to the US.

I've been looking for particular brands of peanut speedballs, namely the title XS bag and the Cleto Reyes range and it's just not possible to find them from a UK stockist and even if you can, they're ridiculously overpriced.

Speedbag equipment isn't the worst though - at least there are alternatives available to those brands I mentioned. However I was looking for a good reflex bag online yesterday and they're are just none available in the UK that are any good.

The two decent brands of reflex bag are Cobra and Title. Both have the spring close to the bag so it rebounds very quickly. The only ones available in the UK are those crappy ones that have the spring right at the bottom, which are just terrible.

The Cobra and Title bags are already expensive but when you account for international shipping it just wouldn't be worth it.

If anyone knows of a UK store that stocks this type of stuff then be sure to let me know.
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

There aren't many options here in New Zealand either. Perhaps just bite the bullet and order online? That's what I ended up doing to get decent stuff.

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Even here in the U.S. you will have a hard time finding decent equipment at a local Sporting Goods store. I have bought all my stuff on line because the local shops just carry the cheap stuff.

fedora

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Thirty, forty years ago it was pretty common in large cities that there would be at least one sporting goods store that would carry a complete line of boxing equipment. They seem to have fallen by the wayside, presumably due to several factors. Let's face it, this stuff doesn't fly off the shelf. In retail products that occupy shelf space that doesn't change over fairly rapidly is costing the owner money. Which brings in the next factor. all the shops that I knew were mom and pop operations, and when the chain stores starting making inroads they just couldn't compete There was two large stores in San Diego plus a hole in the wall that served a pretty large amateur boxing community in the area. I think that there is one operation that deals in Cleto Reyes equipment based here but it's not a store front now.

Comment

• stefoz
          • Apr 2015

equipment

In Australia is even worst.I went on line paid an arm and a leg to get decent equipment and still buying.I got a good swivel from a fellow member from Australia.He got them from the U.S when he was there.
          I decided if i am going to continue speed bagging i need to invest .unfortunately
          there is no way around it .cheers

Comment

• stefoz
            • Apr 2015

speedbags

Take a look at this link may be it helps

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by stefoz View Post
              In Australia is even worst.I went on line paid an arm and a leg to get decent equipment and still buying.I got a good swivel from a fellow member from Australia.He got them from the U.S when he was there.
              I decided if i am going to continue speed bagging i need to invest .unfortunately
              there is no way around it .cheers
              Good decision! I live in NZ and there is no gear here either.

Comment

• Stupot
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2017

Hi we're in the uk are you from??

Comment

• florian 380
                  • Nov 2012

---

hey
                  im from germany. i maybe can let a few bags go and also have good old everlast swivels if u are interested. cheers
                  the shipping costs should be really cheap

Comment

• mirokiuru
                    • Jun 2015

This post is from 2015 I think they already found decent gear in UK

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...