Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Off Topic

Off Topic Everything else!

Old 02-10-2017, 06:17 AM

Lee Chapman is on a distinguished road
First Post

Hi

Lee here, a new guy from the UK.

I was told by my Jeet Kune Do instructor I needed to get a speedbag, so my wonderful wife of 21 years foolishly offered to buy me a platform I was looking at (a 24inch everlast) for my birthday, but that's not until next week :-).

I managed to get a new Tap Out 11x7 ball. I have cut and attached a 1" piece of ply to the top and got it mounted on the wall. I have just put up a white board and a countdown timer.

I have bought the kindle version of the speedbag bible, and am just at the beginning.

Wish I had bought the actual book though. Just bought the speedbag bible DVD today, but that probably won't arrive for a couple weeks. Hopefully there is plenty of slow mo footage to watch.

.Some great advice I got was to 1. Use an open hand and hit with the fingers, and 2. To listen for the 3 beats. That worked so well that I was punching within 10 minutes of my first session.

Yesterday I got in 20 minutes and today 30 minutes, and can definitely feel the difference already. Less breakdowns on the fcp and fsp today.

I think I'll stick to those 2 until I can do around 3 minutes with no breakdowns before moving on.

The swivel I have is a d type with a clip on the end. I can see the bag sliding around on the swivel when I miss hit it. Should I put a bit of tape on it. Sort of feels like it might inhibit the sideways motion of the bag.

If it starts to spin around, should I give it a hard hit to get it bouncing front to back again (limited success), or just stop the bag and restart (100% success).

Is there anyone out their near Cirencester in the UK. I could do with some direct tuition to get me started properly, if there's anyone who could give up a bit of time.

Finally. I am in San Cemente .CA in a couple of weeks to see my Jeet June Do instructor, and we are looking for a location where he can give me some lessons. Anyone know if anywhere we can use/hire.

It's nearly bed time in the UK and I've been refereeing a Tae Kwon-Do competition all day-to-day so I'm off.

Cheers
L
Old 02-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Chairman Kaga is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Zaza is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry I can't help...I'm in upstate NY.

Be sure to get a copy of the film "Art of the Bag"...you'll like it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-of-the-B...AAAOSwh6xTtrwb
Old 02-11-2017, 04:51 AM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz is on a distinguished road
Welcome JKD Lee Do you hit the Mook Jong ? I made mine back in the 80s, and need to start working the dummy, it's been to long
Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaza View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry I can't help...I'm in upstate NY.

Be sure to get a copy of the film "Art of the Bag"...you'll like it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-of-the-B...AAAOSwh6xTtrwb
Thanks Alan
I have bought the bible ebook and dvd. Will try and pick up Aotb one I get going.

Surprisingly the bag is like crack cocaine. I go in my studio for 5 minutes and the next thing is 40 minutes have gone by.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventanakaz View Post
Welcome JKD Lee Do you hit the Mook Jong ? I made mine back in the 80s, and need to start working the dummy, it's been to long
Hi

No I don't at present. I have been working on the basics for some time now, and have just got the speedbag at the suggestion of my instructor. I am on the lookout for one, but they are stupidly expensive.