• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Mexican style double end bag

As much as I like the speedbags, my favorite is the double end bags. I'll never stop on either one, but D-E bags give a much better overall workout and are much more unpredictable.

When I connected them one on top of the other to mimic a Mexican style, it basically worked as a "punching bag" with not nearly the movement as when a bag is alone, even with the cords tried at loose and taught.

So I assume a true Mexican D-E bag will have the same reaction of poor movement. For those that have them, is my assumption correct? No sense in me wasting money on one if that's true.
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
    my favorite is the double end bags.
    Hey Tim is that legal to say on the speedbagforum? LOL
    ________
    Custom Bowl
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
      LMAO...good one

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

It surprised me too, to be honest with you. Several months ago I was hesitant to even get a DE bag, now, if I had one choice, it would be the DE bag. It does so much more.

The heavy ones really come back at you.

Now I'm really in trouble.

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

It surprised me too, to be honest with you. Several months ago I was hesitant to even get a DE bag, now, if I had one choice, it would be the DE bag. It does so much more.

The heavy ones really come back at you.

Now I'm really in trouble.
          seriously man be careful u might get banned if u it keep up. HEY TIM WE GOT A DOUBLE END BAG SPAMMER HERE. lmao
          ________
          MistressSonia
          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

seriously man be careful u might get banned if u it keep up. HEY TIM WE GOT A DOUBLE END BAG SPAMMER HERE. lmao
            I guess it's ok ... just don't expect us to all agree

DE bag is a different experience for me... I like them both. I get breathing hard and heart pumping much more with the DE bag , of course. Speed bag is a different kind of fun.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I also have several double end bags, but must admit their flattened in the garage at the moment. I never liked the dual mexican style, and prefer the single bag style.

The double end is also a "light bag" or "rhythm bag" for the recoiling action has a flow and timing just like the speed bag, but a slightly different action and sound. I think the main difference is the variable recoil distance, which makes it slightly more realistic for fighting and distance work, because it CAN hit you if you don't slip the bag or get out of the way on a longer recoil.

The speed bag's rebound arc is fixed, so no matter how hard you hit it the rebound distance stays the same.

I have also seen some smaller DEB hung on a swivel and used as a speed bag at the local YMCA.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Speedbag, thanks for letting me know that you don't care for the Mexican style DE bags. They do seem to defeat the whole purpose of the DE's intention.

Someday I'll have to have my son-in-law video me hitting the DE in a frame I made for it. Hitting the bag longways in the frame it acts like a DE bag, but hitting it sideways it is very similar to a speedbag. Plus, I can punch downward at it for a rapid repetition in rebounds and do the same for upward hits. Talk about a shoulder burn.

Some time this month I want to try some ideas of making the DE bag much more unpredictable and come at you even more.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speedbag, thanks for letting me know that you don't care for the Mexican style DE bags. They do seem to defeat the whole purpose of the DE's intention.

Someday I'll have to have my son-in-law video me hitting the DE in a frame I made for it. Hitting the bag longways in the frame it acts like a DE bag, but hitting it sideways it is very similar to a speedbag. Plus, I can punch downward at it for a rapid repetition in rebounds and do the same for upward hits. Talk about a shoulder burn.

Some time this month I want to try some ideas of making the DE bag much more unpredictable and come at you even more.
                  Does the DEB "rebound" off the frame structure in various planes?
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Speedbag, thanks for asking. A picture of the frame is under this section called "Frame for double bag".

As you can see in the pic, hitting the bag longways in the frame keeps it in the range of what somewhat swinging at you would be without it getting so wild from the loose cables. Hitting it sideways allows the upper cord to hit the frame, pull taut and come back at you very quick. In any direction it is the upper cord that hits.

Since I put elastic cords top and bottom and didn't put a rope on the bottom, I could hit the bag on the upper part or lower part for a rebound in the same direction.

One of the things I want to try this weekend is putting a 2 x 4 piece of wood vertically from the floor to back of frame. Then on a straight back bag travel it will rebound off the 2 x 4 and I want to see how it increases the rebound speed then. When the bag hits the edge of the wood, I want to see how the affects how much more unpredictable it is.

From there, I'm going to make changes to the roof connection.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speedbag, thanks for asking. A picture of the frame is under this section called "Frame for double bag"....
                      I added a link to that picture. Looks like the Bungees hit the frame.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...