X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

The Punch Professor showcasing some old bags

I think The Punch Professor just posted this yesterday on You Tube. And, just in case some of you don't subscribe to his channel, I thought I would post the link. I think it's worth watching.

He hangs a speed bag from a long strap (or rope) and gets quite a workout on it. Made me think of you, Paranday. Haven't you reconstructed a vintage bag and hung it on a long rope?

I always like watching his videos. He's an old-school boxer/trainer guy. And like he says in his video, he's working out on bags that haven't been seen in a while in the boxing gyms. That REALLY big, heavy black bag (free-hanging, at :41 secs) is somethin' else! Trainer Raul said he punched on a bag like that back in the day...

Like the Professor stated:
    "...Punching Bags that are now part of an art that has almost been lost. The Maize Bag and the Diggle Ball Bag haven't been seen in most gyms since World War 2 or before .. Watch as the crew perfects their punching with techniques you may have never seen before now...These bag punching secrets have been around since before you was born ! ! !
    As the Professor says "Watch and Learn" "

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Great video Dee, Thanks for posting. I am always interested in learning new ways to train. This gives me some more things to try. At this time. My home fitness dungeon includes:
    2 speed bag platforms
    1 heavy bag
    1 double end bag
    dumbells (myself included)
    Barbells
    spinbike
    jump ropes
    some home made short platforms for the yungstas
    chin up bars
    dip bars
    some benches

So, its time to find some huge speed bags and some long rope
    And, to create a make shift spin bag.
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Avadia
      • Nov 2010

Nova, I highly recommend you add Kettlebells to that list. They are one of the best strength training tools I have found.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2010

Will do!

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
        Nova, I highly recommend you add Kettlebells to that list. They are one of the best strength training tools I have found.
        Thanks for the recommendation Avadia. I haven't used Kettlebells yet, so I have something to look forward to in the future!
        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Thanks for sharing! I've watched Paulie before and love his focus..
          this stuff is great.... big bags, long-hanging bags, great technique....
          BAG ON!

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Gawd I love this stuff!

Comment

• jumpcannon
              Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

wow that looks like a fun place to hang out.
              evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

The Punch Professor seems to have the "Shaolin Temple" of boxing training equipment in his backyard! Man what a setup! I like the "hair" hitting at 4:44-5:06!

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                Thanks for the recommendation Avadia. I haven't used Kettlebells yet, so I have something to look forward to in the future!
                Avadia's right about the kettlebells!! I have a 35lb bell that kicks my a@#! Swings, snatches and other movements in a circuit = serious cardio, strength & conditioning combined!
                Last edited by metaldad; 01-04-2011, 05:43 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Wow, what a great location. Looks like Punch Bag Heaven to me. I really like that big speed bag hanging off the rope. Pretty cool punch routine, but it sure made that last guys hair grow.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Avadia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                    Avadia's right about the kettlebells!! I have a 35lb bell that kicks my a@#! Swings, snatches and other movements in a circuit = serious cardio, strength & conditioning combined!
                    They're great for shoulder strengthening too. Overhead presses and Turkish Getups are both great shoulder workouts. Metaldad, try getting a second 35 lb. bell and doing some double snatches and double clean and press. That will seriously kick your butt. I actually just worked up from the double 26's to the double 35's. Another great move is instead of doing a deadlift snatch from off the ground every rep, come down into a swing off of your snatch and then right back up to another snatch, and then repeat for reps. The deadlift snatch works your quads more. The swing version works the hamstrings more.

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
                      They're great for shoulder strengthening too. Overhead presses and Turkish Getups are both great shoulder workouts. Metaldad, try getting a second 35 lb. bell and doing some double snatches and double clean and press. That will seriously kick your butt. I actually just worked up from the double 26's to the double 35's. Another great move is instead of doing a deadlift snatch from off the ground every rep, come down into a swing off of your snatch and then right back up to another snatch, and then repeat for reps. The deadlift snatch works your quads more. The swing version works the hamstrings more.
                      Dude, I'm having a tough enough time with 1! I have the swing technique down and I finally have the snatch to where the bell doesn't slam into my forearm. Two kettlebells most definitely up the ante on the workout. I'm not just not ready for it yet. Kettlebells are awesome but proper form is paramount to getting the most from your workout without injury. Next is the Turkish getup.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Avadia
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        Kettlebells are awesome but proper form is paramount to getting the most from your workout without injury. Next is the Turkish getup.
                        Absolutely agree. Never try to do too much weight at the expense of form. If and when you do decide to try two bells, it is probably advisable to start with the next size down. If you can handle one 35 lb., then I have no doubt you would do fine with a pair of 26's. The Getup is a great exercise. So simple, yet so effective. Great core and shoulder workout.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...