X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryzies
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2006

wait no way!...i think that i just got it...hahaha...i am very good at fist rolls and now i see exactly what i need to do...i was always thinking that it had to be sort of a swooping action from the shoulders at the bag but now i see exactly what you mean...alan you worded that perfect...thanks so much...i'll do video this week...thanks so much

Comment

• speedboy
      • Feb 2006

Mkvtte your second clip is very good have you already tried a smaller bag? i think it can be easier

Comment

• Mkvtte92
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2006

No, I have'nt tried a smaller bag. That one is pretty small, but not the smallest that they make. So you think that would be easier huh? I'm gonna start looking for a smaller bag right now. Thanks!

Mike

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed bag Fist Rolling

Originally posted by Mkvtte92
          No, I have'nt tried a smaller bag. That one is pretty small, but not the smallest that they make. So you think that would be easier huh? I'm gonna start looking for a smaller bag right now. Thanks!

Mike
          Going to a smaller bag is not necessarily the best solution. That will not make a Fist Roll easier to perform, only faster. But a fist Roll is often easier to learn when done faster. SO, try this: Lean into the bag "slightly". When you do this, it will shorten the rebounding arc of the bag, for your fist(s) will make contact earlier in the rebound. This will automatically make it faster, yet leaving the larger belly target to hit.

...and this is exactly what happens with a "smaller" bag. It has a shorter rebound arc, and you will automatically move in closer to reach the belly at the correct time. By leaning into a larger bag, you will accomplish the same thing. You will notice this also raises the bag belly up a bit higher than your normal fist contact point, but I find this helpful in controlling the Front Fist Roll. As you move back, the fist contact point will lower to it's regular setting.

Leaning in also has one added advantage. IF you make a weak or faulty fist contact, the bag won't have the room to bounce far off path, since the distance to the board and back is reduced.

a last tip would be to really accentuate the raised elbows to parallel. With experience and skill, they will drop but with a lower elbow I think people tend to smack their "rolling" hands on each other. If you can keep your upper arm straight out from the shoulder, Rolling at nose-mouth level, it is a much more predictable fist movement.

...(Which is where the bag will be if you move in slightly. )
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...