• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

The Evolution of the Everlast 4200 or 6x9 Speed Bag

Here is a little progression of Everlast's 6x9 bags from the 4200 to the current Elite 4241. Then the 4200's modern twist by John Golomb and finally what to me looks like another company's iteration on the Everlast classic 4200.

The original Everlast 4200 on the far left is a FAT 6x9 bag! I absolutely love it! It is very fast, I mean this thing smokes! I love the shape, I love the speed (Too fast for me if I try to go fast with it) and I love the leather. Maybe Dutch can give an estimate of the age of this one. It says Made in the USA.

Next to it is a bag I got cheap on eBay. It's part number is 4200 and it looks like a 4200 except for its banana shape and it's rough (Like a 4210) leather. It has the red piping on it and the red dressing around the collar and upper lace holes. The package had a part number of 4200, but it was also called an Everlast Elite. So my guess is that this is the bridge between the beloved 4200 and today's current Everlast Elite 4241?

The middle bag is the current Everlast 6x9 Everlast Elite 4241. Pure banana bag. It does have nice leather. (Nicer than the banana 4200) It also has a really good bounce. This was my first bag after I got back into speed bagging.

Two from the right is the John Golomb 4200. This bag is made by John Golomb whose grandfather? founded Everlast, and John ran the production floor for a while. It was a present from my dad. It is not as fat as the real 4200, but not as banana as the current 4241. It is really thick quality kangaroo leather, but it's thickness makes it a slower bag, in fact a lot slower than the real 4200. But this is more of a collectors bag for me.

Finally we have what to me seems like Title's take on the classic 4200. (Thanks riqal!) This bag takes a lot of visual cues from the classic Everlast 4200. Although it is not as fat as the classic 4200 it is not banana shaped. It has the red piping and red collar dressing like the classic 4200. But like most Title bags it felt slow for me, good thing it's first owner swapped a new bladder in for me.

Dutch please chime in with your knowledge with any of these bags, I posted this mostly to show some members who had been asking about a couple of these bags. In the near future I will have video of me hitting on each one and giving the pros and cons. Also please post any pictures you guys have of 4200's, especially any kangaroos, as I seem to have an obsession with kangaroo leather bags all of a sudden.

Also someone told me the reason Everlast made their bags banana like was it uses less leather, and it was easier to make sure the bag hit straight so there would be less complaints and returns if it was thinner. Does this sound true?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jaja6009; 11-06-2017, 07:53 PM. Reason: Added something
  • baggeric
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2017

John Golom bags

Hey Jamie...I got the 4200 and the 4201 and have been hitting them both every day and the more I hit them the more I like them. I also realize that because the welting is so thick that it will be a loooong time til they are really broken in. Thanks for the info on them. They are two of my favorite bags. You did a nice job on the display and history of the 4200 thanks.
    Last edited by baggeric; 11-06-2017, 09:57 PM. Reason: Left out a thank you

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...