• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Twenty-one combinations on the Speed Bag - Kenpo Connection

7th degree black belt Herb Patus has produced an instructional speed bag video titled "Twenty-One Combinations on the Speed Bag"

The DVD is divided into chapters covering one technique or combination, starting with "inline strikes", which is similar to a FCP (Front Circle Punch) for those familiar with Alan Kahn's terminology. In subsequent chapters, add'l strikes (including elbows) are incorporated and blended into further combinations. The ultimate combination described on the video is similar to an "out and in 4 way elbow strike", but incorporates a back knuckle in place of the more conventional first fist strike. The DVD is approx. 70 minutes in length.

Highs
    • Chapter index makes it easy to jump to any technique or combination on the DVD
    • Lots of slow-motion with narration of how to properly perform the technique
    • Plenty of commentary on how the speed bag enhances martial arts training specifically
    • Utilizes the "back knuckle" (back hand or backfist) strike quite frequently
    Lows
    • Most of the footage has extensive voice over that obscures the rythm of the bag, it's very hard, or in many cases impossible, to hear the bag rebounds, which can impede getting a "feel" for what is happening
    • Predominantly front of the bag strikes and elbows only. In fairness, this is mostly what one would expect from a martial arts centric perspective
    In summary, this is a solid DVD that has a good progression of techinques and combinations. If you work your way through all 21 steps, you will have developed an impressive command of the speed bag. Mastering the information on this DVD will enhance your martial arts skill, and provide a respectable base for further speed bag mastery.

You can view an excerpt of the video here:

You can find ordering information here:

Last edited by Tim; 10-06-2006, 10:49 PM.
  • JimR
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2006

Elbow technique

Tim, would you say that the "circular elbow" strike Patus uses is a different technique from the elbow strikes in Alan's system, or just a slight variation, or a different name for the same thing?

Jim

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Elbow techniques on speed bag

Originally posted by JimR View Post
      Tim, would you say that the "circular elbow" strike Patus uses is a different technique from the elbow strikes in Alan's system, or just a slight variation, or a different name for the same thing?

Jim
      Jim, I can answer your question based on his online video sample only. I have not viewed his full DVD. But he does have several samples of what he calls "circular elbow" strike.

1:56 into online video sample
      Step 11A
      Right Hand
      Circular Right Elbow

at 2:04 this starts with a left circle punch, then from 2:07 through 2:14 It shows a Left Elbow and a Right Circle Punch (after 3 rebounds). At 2:21 he starts his Circular Right Elbow, but cuts the scene in the middle of it.

(* In my system, the Elbow Strike he does would be an "Outward-Single Elbow Strike" followed by a Front Circle Punch after three rebounds.)

3:04 into online video sample
      18A
      Right Jab
      CIRC Rt Elbow
      RT BKNL - Lt Jab

In 3:19 - 3:23 He does a Right Circ Elbow, Right Backfist, Left Straight Punch with one rebound inbetween, Then, from 3:24 - 3:40 He shows and assortment of Elbow-fist strikes in slow motion.

(* In my system, I would call these Outward-Triple Elbow Strikes, and Inward Triple Elbow Strikes)

At 3:41 to 4:09 (end) he shows a combination of what I would call Out-&-In 4way Elbow Strikes. However, I really don't like his fist position of the first fist of the combination. He rolls it over to a back fist, so his palm is facing his face, (not the ground), making it very difficult to extend this fist through the bag (if he ever wanted to..)

He is using similiar elbow strikes to my system, yes. But the name of his elbow strike does not account for the three variations of elbow directions (Outward, Inward and Downward). It is just a "circular elbow strike" How do you know which way the elbow is supposed to go?? And how many parts are in each technique?

But to anwer your question: Yes, he is using many of the strikes I describe with his own names given. In his defense, he had to create his own names, or get permission to use the names I created and copyrighted.

And the truth is: I also copyright many variations of my original names. for instance "Outward-Triple Elbow Strike" may also be called

Triple-Outward Elbow Strike,
      Triple Elbow Strike-Outward
      Outward -Elbow Triple Strike,
      Elbow Strike-outward triple,
      Elbow Strike-triple outward,

I have also copyrighted these, along with others. Virtually every technique name I use in my system has five or six variations. This protects my three line abbreviation system for writing combinations with Name abbreviations that appear in the book and several magazine articles.

His techniques are good, and he is naming and describing them differently by his system.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 10-13-2006, 07:59 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by JimR View Post

Jim
        The circular elbow is very similar to a single outward elbow in Alan's system. There is also a "turned down staccato elbow" which is basically an inward single elbow. A "Follow through elbow" is an inward double elbow strike(fist, then elbow of same arm). Fundamentally, they are the same thing, just a different name.

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Used to be able to do elbow strikes before the shoulder injury but I will leave well enough alone now and just be thankful I can still do hand strikes. His slow motion though does make things clear in his film and he gives good explanations.

For instance, his hand roll explanation is tough to beat. Although I never seen or heard Speedbag's explanation of it, just trying the film's explanation on the Turbo bag just now, I immediately was able to do the hand roll on it. I like where he said give 80% focus on the hands and the other on the bag. Details like that come in handy.

Regarding hand strikes, I see that in Step 16 he is doing exactly what I tried yesterday.

In a real fight I think a back hand punch should only be done if practical and that you are sure it is the knuckles that will hit and NOT the back of your hand. The back of the hand has too many bones that can break easily. Don't ask me how I know that.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...