• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

CrossFit?

Any Crossfitters out there in speed bag land?

I've been loosely following it for about 1.5 months now. Great way to beat workout boredom as the WOD (Workout of the Day) varies widely and usually don't repeat for several months. If you like strength stuff but want some metcon (metabolic conditioning AKA cardio) also check it out.

CrossFit follows a 3 on , 1 off frequency that I find too stressful. I do every other day to help with recovery.

Speed bag makes a great warmup or cooldown too.
  • Whippet
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Any Crossfitters out there in speed bag land?

I've been loosely following it for about 1.5 months now. Great way to beat workout boredom as the WOD (Workout of the Day) varies widely and usually don't repeat for several months. If you like strength stuff but want some metcon (metabolic conditioning AKA cardio) also check it out.

CrossFit follows a 3 on , 1 off frequency that I find too stressful. I do every other day to help with recovery.

Speed bag makes a great warmup or cooldown too.
    I incorporate some of the Crossfit stuff into MMA training. I find that functional training - and my training regimen from personal trainers does not involve any equipment where one can sit or lay down - save for exercise balls.
    Tabata, Airborne swimming, bear-walking - all great ways to build functional strength and great cardio.

Comment

• Northern Boxer
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2006

Crossfit

Incorporating Crossfit into my training. Have attended a few classes at a Crossfit gym and have great support through other Crossfitters and the Crossfit website.

Good training website with great articles and excellent instructional videos. Good resource for those in isolated areas.

Comment

• operator3
        • Mar 2010

Do you guys know that the mascot for cross fit is a puking clown? lol, yeah its for real. Not the kind of work out for everyone tho. Ive been a personal trainer since i got out of the military in 2000. I know a bunch of CFers. they swear buy cross fit. i think its a bit overboard for most people. at my busiest (15 clients) I only had 2 that could actually get through a CF workout without injury.

Comment

• sparrky37
          • Jan 2010

I had CF workout I had to do in the fire academy I will do it on occasion. I like it. Don't know bout doing it on regular basis.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
            Do you guys know that the mascot for cross fit is a puking clown? lol, yeah its for real. Not the kind of work out for everyone tho. Ive been a personal trainer since i got out of the military in 2000. I know a bunch of CFers. they swear buy cross fit. i think its a bit overboard for most people. at my busiest (15 clients) I only had 2 that could actually get through a CF workout without injury.
            I had to drop if a few months after I posted that (original post was back in Jan '09.). All the pullups in various flavors gave me some elbow tendinitis I couldn't shake. It took 6 months for it to go away once i stopped crossfit.

I still like many of the principles and movements and the whole focus on functional exercise, but the volume is simply too much (for me).

However, I will credit it with this:
            1. It got me into doing pullups seriously for the first time in my life - what a great exercise! I'm now doing that with extra weight

2. First time I've done tabata seriously - now I'm hooked

3. Being a "brawn" advocate (Stuart McRobert's book) I wasn't into explosive / olympic type lifts at all (Stuart says they are too risky). I've made great gains on clean and push press now... something I never would have done before.

4. It's the first non-boring cardio work I've ever loved doing.

5. Got me back into deadlifting seriously. I recently PRed 280 lbs, 3 sets for 5 reps each.

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Trying to analyze how we are all the same and yet different too, one thing I wrestle with is workout time vs good results. Some where in between doing nothing and working out very rigorously equals the best results. Like this thread mentioned, I find myself wanting to do more and more and then feeling guilty about not pushing further which generally leads to some pulled muscle, sore joint, etc.

Just from reading and my own experience, is making it into our older years without "destroying" our bodies is knowing when to give it or certain areas the needed rest, yet so often I hear the mantra "work through the pain" or "ignore what your tired, sore muscles are telling you". Is that really the smart thing to do has to be considered individually.

Anyway, for me, I'll try to keep on moving and avoiding injury doing it, and this forum sure brings up aspects to consider.

Comment

• Heppsan
                • Jan 2011

Yep, i do crossfit workouts every now and then, great and fun training!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Heppsan View Post
                  Yep, i do crossfit workouts every now and then, great and fun training!
                  Unfortunately I had to give it up after about 11 months. I ended up with wicked tendinitis in the elbows from all the pull ups. Also the shoulders there's just too much overhead stuff for me to do it (regularly) and still get my baggin' fix in.

I may give it a stab again someday, but I'd have to sub out so much stuff from the WOD it kind of takes the fun out of it...

Comment

• Heppsan
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Unfortunately I had to give it up after about 11 months. I ended up with wicked tendinitis in the elbows from all the pull ups. Also the shoulders there's just too much overhead stuff for me to do it (regularly) and still get my baggin' fix in.

I may give it a stab again someday, but I'd have to sub out so much stuff from the WOD it kind of takes the fun out of it...
                    To bad!
                    I often do my own programs.

Comment

• Bagster
                      • Feb 2011

You ever heard of Convict Conditioning? Lots of posts on how great it has been for peoples tendons and joints, plus my wifes physical therapist attests to the same.
                      It rated very highly in online reveiws so I got it and started it about a month ago. Check it out, the workouts are only about 20 minutes 2-6 days a week depending on which stage you are at. Can't beat that, time is precious.
                      Bagster

Comment

• b_ggal
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Nov 2011

I enjoy doing Crossfit as the community, workouts, and results make me fee really great. You can do it as much or as little as you want. You have to figure out what works best for you and your routine.

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bagster View Post
                          You ever heard of Convict Conditioning?
                          Picked it up as an eBook at Amazon, thanks.

Comment

• joanlynch21
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Sep 2012

I heard nothing but good things about this training. I'd give it a shot if I were you.

Comment

• David222
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Oct 2012

Trying to analyze how we are all the same and yet different too, one thing I wrestle with is workout time vs good results. Some where in between doing nothing and working out very rigorously equals the best results. Like this thread mentioned, I find myself wanting to do more and more and then feeling guilty about not pushing further which generally leads to some pulled muscle, sore joint, etc.
                              Its something crazy to talk about, workouts matter for our body and it depends on time duration and the time of the day. People have their own specific fitness needs and their bodies respond to workouts in different ways. Some can get the results with few workouts and others hardly able to get after heavy workouts.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...