• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

'Sting" Speed Bag review

Hi there.

I thought I would put some close up pics of my Australian made Sting speed bag and state my opinion of it.

Here is what they say about it on their website:
    "The Sting Comp Speed Ball Kit is made from high grade leather which provides a nice supple feel that is also highly durable, the ball itself has been put together with heavy duty stitching and is shaped to be a fast ball.

Select A grade leather specially designed and treated to produce maximum durability while maintaining suppleness
    Unique slim design produces maximum speed and straight line consistency
    Heavy duty stitching and strop for a highly durable final product
    Hand cut and stitched for a customised finish of each ball for best consistency."

It is either a 7x 10 or a 6x9, because the bag measures 6x10 inches and is a banana shape bag with the widest part quite far up from the bottom.

Weight is 6.3oz and has quite a short loop however the loop is only made from one layer of seatbelt type webbing and is showing sure signs of wear already.

Rather than laces the bag has a zip which is a big disaster really. The zip falls down after about 30 seconds and seems to throw the bag off, I may one day remove this zip and punch holes and thread a lace in there because the zip also rattles quite a bit and on the vertical platform I have shaved my knuckles on it on times when my fists get too near the swivel,

This one is particularly lopsided. As can be seen in the photos. The round panel on the bottom is obviously off centre, whoever 'hand-made' this bag either had two left hands or all thumbs on both hands. lol.

The bladder is upside down shape?! with the valve at the top, not through the panel on the base. Air is added by opening the zip and the bladder is a black plastic one that feels quite thick.

I like it a bit on the under inflated side as when it is pumped up firm it takes just a wee bit of added air and it goes rock hard and doesn't feel so nice on the fists.

My thoughts are this bag is not all that fast, or well built, but is sturdy, doesn't lose air and was available when I needed it, I had no time to wait.
    Doesn't have much bounce compared to the bigger bag I was rumbling and feels quite dull, have to pound it, not sure where the energy is lost from but it's not from my platform or swivel anymore.

Bear in mind I live on a small remote island in the middle of a massive ocean and don't have easy access to equipment so have not tried many different bags and this is just my opinion.

Here is a short clip of the bag on the move.

Chur
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

The 5x8 yellow Title bag I ordered arrived today so I took some photos to compare the size of it with my other bag, the Sting one. I found it interesting the Title bag is at least as fat at it's widest point but is way shorter. Makes the black bag look very banana.

I got two replacement bladders from Title and changed out the stock bladders from these bags and pumped them back up to see their shape. The bladder from the Sting bag wasn't even teardrop shape. It's a sphere, perhaps that was it's downfall as the orange bladder I put in really brought this bag to life.
    It's way faster and lighter effort to work. Just had to punch a hole in it's ass to get the needle in.

But this will go on the hook for a while now my old yeller has arrived
    Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      Yap, those title orange replacement bladders I find are the best. I always use them and they hold air better than the other brands (cleto, ringside, everlast)

Top man for sharing that tip. I had to try it. I wouldn't have believed it would make that much difference if I hadn't. It improved the quality of my existence.

Comment

• stefoz
        • Apr 2015

I was thinking to purchase the sting just to see what its like but after reading your comments i think i will give it a miss.And save about $90 to a $100.Thanks for tip

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

I put an orange bladder in mine since I wrote this review, and it made it a bit nicer, but the neck of the bag still doesn't seem to get filled at all by the bladder and it's hollow and floppy in this top part of the bag. I think this is part of the reason it rebounds like my shoe when I bag on it.

Sorry 'Sting' for the crap review, but if the bag I got wasn't a ridiculously lopsided, longneck banana shape and didn't stain my knuckles black after 5 mins I wouldn't have had to say so. But the bag was better than the swivel that came with it.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

That's an issue with few long neck bags out there of late. The makers think that the bladder being elastic would fill the bag entirely when inflated. As you have found out that just isn't the case. Back when these type of bags were a lot more common, they had bladders that were made for them specifically. It appears that by the mid 1970's that Everlast had ceased doing that with the couple of long necks that they still had in their catalog and used one bladder for bags of like size but not shape. I found that the old TufWear bladders were much better replacements, but they too ceased to be available by the mid to late 1980's.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post

Hi there.

I thought I would put some close up pics of my Australian made Sting speed bag and state my opinion of it.

The bladder is upside down shape?! with the valve at the top, not through the panel on the base. Air is added by opening the zip and the bladder is a black plastic one that feels quite thick.

Chur
              I have seen the "needle valve" placed in several different locations besides the bottom. I think a top placed valve use to be fairly popular and it makes functional sense because the force of the punching and direction of the fist is usually slightly downward, pushing the air toward the bottom, and out a valve down there.(?) Perhaps top placed air valves don't leak as much.

anyway, I've seen them on top numerous times and especially in Jim Bradley bags.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2015

That makes sense, I have noticed my bag loses a wee bit of air after it gets a worse than normal thrashing, that one possibly less. I'd prefer it on the bottom of the bag so I don't have to undo the laces to get at the valve. How about the round bladder?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...