• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a23chan
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2008

Need help on a home built platform

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this site for a week or two. I must say it's amazing how respectful everyone is.

So I built my speedbag platform but it isn't up to my expectations. The cheapo everlast platform at the gym I go to is better than this one so for my own sake I decided that I have to build a better one.

I don't have any woodworking skills (I was an engineering major in university for 3 years before I dropped out... but what I learned there didn't translate to this project... isn't society wonderful?)

Below are pictures. I have a couple of questions and comments please feel free to give me your opinion before I embark on the build.

1. I am probably going to follow Chris M's build on the drum. Unless, I actually find a drum at the other Home Depot near my house. I have no experience with woodworking... but I do have a hand planer... is it possible to plane the drum? or should I plane it before I glue the pieces together?

2. How would you attach the drum? It looks as if it's impossible for me to attach it to the wall with the insulation around the walls. The problem I had with attaching it to the ceiling was that I couldn't get the platform to stay perfectly level because the wood is so thick that when the drill goes into the wood, the vibration would move the piece a bit away from the intended position. Any way to solve this dilemna?

It's either that or I attach it somehow through the insulation or the door...??

Thank you all!

Last edited by a23chan; 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM.
  • roberthelpus
    • Dec 2007

It would help if you told us what it is that you don't like about the one that you have now.

The drum looks fine, unless the surface is uneven then the hand planer could be used to even it out. That or sandpaper or a belt sander. If you start with realtively flat boards then clamping it to a flat surface while the glue dries will do the trick.

Clamps are your friends. They could also be used to keep things aloigned for drilling holes where you want them as well. Otherwise slots will allow you to level thihgs up after the fact.

Also, think about spreading forces between more than one floor joist, while using three or four legs with cross bracing instead of just two.

Maybe a good thing that you aren't an engineer

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by a23chan View Post
      So I built my speedbag platform but it isn't up to my expectations.
      I'll agree with roberhelpus, knowing specifically what you don't like about it would help. From the sound of your post the problem is that it's not level? How far off level is it? A small amount isn't going to be a disaster... does it noticeably affect the bag rebounds? From the photo you posted, I would say it doesn't appear to be too bad (i.e. the pic with the Rival bag). My platform is slightly off level too, it droops a bit (probably has something to do with the 80 lb heavy bag I have on top!). Honestly I haven't found it to be a problem.

I actually like the idea of a ceiling mounted bag, gives you 360 degrees of access.
      Last edited by Tim; 01-06-2008, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I agree with Tim that a board being a bit off level is not big deal, but I think it would be difficult to level the board with a planer or sander in this particular setup. I would probably use some small shims, placing them under your vertical 2x6's attached to the rafters. You could put them just on top of the board under the 2x6. This wouldn't require you to change the thickness or surface of your rebound surface underneath. just slip 1 or 2 under the high side to lower it a bit.

Your unit looks solid to me, and like others I'm not sure where the problem is: However, since you say that you are woodworking challenged (as am I), the easiest solution might be to just buy an inexpensive wall unit. Most of them come set for normal stud width, so you just screw the vertical mounts into the studs and attach the hardward.

I admire the dedication to be a "do-it-yourselfer" but without the right tools or woodworking background, If you have the wall space, - It's just a whole lot easier to buy one.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• roberthelpus
          • Dec 2007

Okay, now that I look at the picture again, I can see that It is attached to two joists. I would still add a third - a fourth would be better - support arm by running a board between the two joists. You have one hell of a moment arm (leverage) in the plane that has no support.

Slot the support arms where they connect to the joists and you can level everything up easily.

I'm guessing that being out of level would be felt more, as you get better. Mine is definitely out of level but i'm not using that as a scapegoat when I've only been doing this for a few weeks. So I am waiting for my new swivel before I take everything down to add a couple of turnbuckles similar to what VJ87 has to bring my rig level.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...