X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avadia
    • Nov 2010

A Fix for Rock-Hard Heavy Bags

Like many of you, I'm sure, I love to work out on a heavy bag as well as the speed bag. I recently got a great deal on an Everlast black leather 100 lb. heavy bag from Sports Authority. It was marked down, and then marked down some more for clearance, and I ended up getting it for less than $70! The only problem was that once I set it up and started hitting it, I felt like I was hitting a brick with every other punch.

I bought a heavy bag gel wrap from Title, which is a nice thick gel mat that wraps around and velcro's over the hitting area, but it still did little to dampen the bricks. So I did the unthinkable: I just unzipped the top and started emptying out the stuffing (lots and lots and lots of stuffing). Turns out that a bunch of the sandbags had settled right into the hitting zone and near the outside of the bag. (very poor construction, Everlast).

I completely emptied the bag, then I took a bunch of the sandbags, and placed them in the very bottom of the bag (since I don't punch down there) and then I took the gel wrap from Title and placed it inside the bag and started replacing the stuffing inside the gel wrap. I stuffed it full, then placed just a few sandbags on top to even out the weight distribution a little, and zipped it back up. Voila. The bag hits great now!

So for less than $100 and a little of my own labor, I got a 100 lb. heavy bag with a gel liner and soft-fill that hits like a champ! I am loving this bag now. Thought I would share my story in case anyone else gets stuck with a heavy bag that has sandbags in the hitting zone and doesn't know what to do about it. Hitting bricks is no fun.
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

good job and you got a great deal enjoy it

Comment

• fingers
      Speed Bag Guru
      • May 2008

I had the same problem with my heavy bag!! i emptied it out and got a length of 1 inch foam/sponge and made a tube slipped it into the bag and refilled, it is still solid but there is a slight cushion now......saves the wrists!

Comment

• jumpcannon
        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Those heavy bags are HARD on the wrist. I havent hit one in a while though.
        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fingers View Post
          I had the same problem with my heavy bag!! i emptied it out and got a length of 1 inch foam/sponge and made a tube slipped it into the bag and refilled, it is still solid but there is a slight cushion now......saves the wrists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni_w-KJxe8
          Nice Try, Fingers.

You didn't do any of that, you just beat the crap out of it. I'm remembering Rocky Punching Sides of Beef. Check it out,2:09sec.

Still one of the Best Movies EVER made.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Avadia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Totally agree.

Comment

• SpeedKilz
              • Dec 2009

Is that a 100lbs. bag? You were giving it the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni_w-KJxe8

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Nice Try, Fingers.

You didn't do any of that, you just beat the crap out of it. I'm remembering Rocky Punching Sides of Beef. Check it out,2:09sec.

A great film AK!!....but me i am just brute force and ignorance!!

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post
                Is that a 100lbs. bag? You were giving it the business.
                Yes SK 100lbs filled with compacted paper chips like solid wood when it settles maybe i should opt for something softer as old age creeps up!!

Jumpcannon! i have hurt my wrists on occasion!! mostly practicing a left hook! but it really is a punch that comes from nowhere
                Last edited by fingers; 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Avadia
                  • Nov 2010

....but me i am just brute force and ignorance!!
                  Love the Rory Gallagher reference. One of my favorite songs by him.

Yes SK 100lbs filled with compacted paper chips like solid wood when it settles maybe i should opt for something softer as old age creeps up!!
                  OUCH!

Careful there, or you will be known as Broken Fingers.

Comment

• fingers
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
                    Love the Rory Gallagher reference. One of my favorite songs by him.

OUCH!

Careful there, or you will be known as Broken Fingers.
                    LOL!! aint that the truth!!

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

A great film AK!!....but me i am just brute force and ignorance!!

Jumpcannon! i have hurt my wrists on occasion!! mostly practicing a left hook! but it really is a punch that comes from nowhere
                      "Brute Force" I'll accept. The "ignorance" part I'm not buying. sorry.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...