X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsDee's "Obsession" - Working the Vertical & Horizontal

I thought I'd post this video I took last weekend. Sorry about the poor angle. But, I think you can get the idea of how easy it can be to switch from a horizontal to vertical drum. It's not great, and far from perfect, but it shows that it can be done. Doesn't have to be pretty to be effective. Speed bagging's a great cardio workout and elevates one's spirit.

Working on elbow combinations on both the horizontal speed bag drum as well as the vertical drum. Using a BFF Australian speed bag on the horizontal drum, an...

Still addicted.
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

That was great Dee. It lets me know how far I have yet to go when I see someone as good as you working that bag.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Jollygood49
      • Jan 2013

Ditto to above first of all. Also, that looks like a lot of fun! For some reason I foresee a third (vertical) platform in my basement in the near future.

Comment

• G-Town
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Obducted!!!

Q-Dee ... Stop In The Name Of Love! Bags are all up,smooth as always,and looking good on the Vert. I must say the (switch over) very impressive(jealouse) That's how we dew... right Alan?

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

[QUOTE=G-Town;38772]Q-Dee ... Stop In The Name Of Love! Bags are all up,smooth as always,and looking good on the Vert. I must say the (switch over) very impressive(jealouse) That's how we dew... right Alan?[/QUOTE]

right!

Awesome Dee! I gotta get a vert up.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• AtTheCross
            • Dec 2012

great job, love the elbow work!!!
            1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
            Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
            DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
            Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
            Retired Bags:
            Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Thanks fedora, jollygood. I highly recommend a vertical board in every speed bagger's workout. It's pretty fun. And it doesn't take much in the way of equipment. G-Town, you can attest to that! You and Juxt went to town on that vertical setup at Real Gymm.

ATC, I love doing elbows. And, yes, Alan. You definitely should consider throwing up a vertical drum. You have to experiment with bag size. I put the BFF Aussie bag on the vertical tonight and I found out that I had to play dodge ball with it. There's a little jumping out of the way of the bag on the upswing. Definitely fun, though.
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                Thanks fedora, jollygood. I highly recommend a vertical board in every speed bagger's workout. It's pretty fun. And it doesn't take much in the way of equipment. G-Town, you can attest to that! You and Juxt went to town on that vertical setup at Real Gymm.

ATC, I love doing elbows. And, yes, Alan. You definitely should consider throwing up a vertical drum. You have to experiment with bag size. I put the BFF Aussie bag on the vertical tonight and I found out that I had to play dodge ball with it. There's a little jumping out of the way of the bag on the upswing. Definitely fun, though.
                How do you think to measure the height? do you put the swivel at your navel, or where? What location do you think is comfortable.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

Really enjoyed watching that. I'd like to try that someday, but it's not possbile where I live now.

Comment

• tstein3233
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

Dee, that's really impressive, big fan of you and your swivs...this may or may not be relevant but have you found that vert baggin helps a particular skill(s) on the regular platform, or vice versa?
                    TStein

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Sweet! That song sure takes me back (to a really sad time in music history! LOL).
                      Now... I want to see you keep that vertical bag going with your knees as you punch the bag above!

...you know Doris DeGreen could have done it.

Really great job Dee, as always....a TRUE addict.
                      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                        Would she be doin' it in your movie? Where do thing$ $tand with the acqui$ition of that footage?

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                          Would she be doin' it in your movie? Where do thing$ $tand with the acqui$ition of that footage?
                          ... no where so far, but there is time. Biff has been kind enough to help out though!

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Jake
                            • Mar 2011

Nice Video Dee!
                            How about mounting a bag upside down on the ground?
                            You could throw in some Shin Kicks.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

[youttube]Gt7_8STBNmo[/youtube]

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              How do you think to measure the height? do you put the swivel at your navel, or where? What location do you think is comfortable.
                              The best way to start out is to maybe attach it so the swivel is almost even with your bellybutton and then lower it as you progress. It's easier on your back this way. If you are training for MMA style fighting, this vertical bag is excellent for getting those elbow strikes down pat and you can execute them without even thinking about it. The swivel is 3-4 inches below my bellybutton in the video.

I went out last night and shot a quick video (without music) to kind of demonstrate a workout with a bigger bag.

This video is to show how I practice punching on the vertical drum. Incorporating knee kicks is definitely a challenge. When practicing on a vertical drum, I...

I attempted some knee punches. I didn't to very well, but there was a brief moment when I managed to hit the bag just right, without the swivel bunching up on the upswing. (1:27-1:30)

For elbow strikes, the bigger the bag, the better. I used the large red Cleto Reyes bag for this demo. Raul's favorite bag for this workout is the big blue Title speed bag. I haven't tried using that bag yet – it's HUGE.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              Really enjoyed watching that. I'd like to try that someday, but it's not possbile where I live now.
                              Hey, Dutch, if you're in an apartment or something, just mount it in the laundry room. You can tell the neighbors that the banging sound they hear is from your washing machine being out of balance during the spin cycle! ...just a thought.

Originally posted by tstein3233 View Post
                              Dee, that's really impressive, big fan of you and your swivs...
                              Hi Tim! It's nice to see your name pop up in the thread. I'm pleased to know that you are still a fan of the Deville swivel. Hey gang, Tim (tstein3233) is special in my book because he ordered his first No.13 swivel from me a year ago – on February 13th, 2012. He also ordered the new design on January 13th, 2013. Thanks for your support, Tim!

Originally posted by tstein3233 View Post
                              ...this may or may not be relevant but have you found that vert baggin helps a particular skill(s) on the regular platform, or vice versa?
                              I haven't noticed whether vertical bagging helps me on the horizontal (or vice versa). Hitting the vertical bag requires a different set of skills than from the horizontal. The rhythm is very different, because you have to factor in the gravity when punching on the vertical bag.

I find that I have to "dance" more when punching on the vertical, especially when using a bigger bag. I have to throw myself into the punches more. I think that's why it's good for MMA-style workouts.

Sweet! That song sure takes me back (to a really sad time in music history! LOL).
                              YES, so true! It was a time of big hair, big shoulder pads, and BAD music videos!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Now... I want to see you keep that vertical bag going with your knees as you punch the bag above!

Well, I ain't no Doris DeGreen. But, she is definitely someone I admire and I can only hope to rise to her level of punching. She was truly one of a kind.

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                              Nice Video Dee!
                              How about mounting a bag upside down on the ground?
                              You could throw in some Shin Kicks.
                              Thanks, Jake. Boy, now that will definitely be a challenge. I know that Juxt has tried it, and it does not look easy at all! But, you had to suggest it, didn't you! And, since you mentioned it, I just might have to give it a go. Stay tuned!

(I guess it's back to the garage for some more practice!)

[youbtube]86GVd9akVjI[/youtube]
                              Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...