• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eltorohmp
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2008

Is Fedor all time greatest?

I bought the affliction PPV last night featuring Fedor Emelianenko versus former UFC Heavyweight Champ Andre Arlovski and was very impressed with the card. In the main event Fedor, widely considered the #1 p4p and heavyweight fighter in the world defended his WAMMA title versus a very dangerous fighter in Andre Arlovski. In what turned out to be a stunning stand up battle Fedor saw himself outboxed and pressured in a way no one has been able to do. I was literally telling my wife how Fedor looked to be stunned and in trouble in the corner when just as I said that Fedor nailed Arlovski with an overhand right as Andre attempted a flying knee. The punch KOed Arlovski instantly and sent him face first to the canvas. My thread poses the question on fans minds: is Fedor the greatest warrior of any fight discipline in recorded human history? Remember this includes everyone from BJ Penn to Bruce Lee, from Antoni Inoki to Ali, Ghengis Khan to Patton, Rob Kaman to Salvador Sanchez, etc. I submit he is by far the most complete fighter ever and we will not see another like him in our lifetime...
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Cagepotato's got video

Can't argue with the man's record.

Comment

• dax_q
      • Jan 2008

Just not a fan for some reason. Tough to argue greatest ever due to weight classes. I still think the deepest weight class is 205. If he was doing this in the UFC at 205, I would say yes, greatest ever. Would still have to say that heavy weight has the weakest talent pool. Fedor, still is probably the best heavy weight ever.
      -Dax

Comment

• Biggen
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2009

I think Fedor deservs the title "The best fighter of all time". This might provoce some of you, but I hold him even higher than Ali.

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Biggen View Post
          but I hold him even higher than Ali.
          as i fighter i cant argue that simply because fedors record is something that cant be argued. but saying that ali did alot more for boxing that fedor will ever do for mma.
          saying fedor is the best pound for pound fighter (think that phrase is over used) is something i could say but itd be tough just because there so many great fighters out there. id like to see fedor in the ufc and beat brock and randy and then there wud be no argument in him being the greatest heavyweight of all time. i have always felt u cant compare weight classes just because the higher u go up in weight the slower and stonger the fighters get. i think the most talented guy in the game right now in anderson silva IMO.
          ________
          Roll A Joint
          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• eltorohmp
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
            as i fighter i cant argue that simply because fedors record is something that cant be argued. but saying that ali did alot more for boxing that fedor will ever do for mma.
            saying fedor is the best pound for pound fighter (think that phrase is over used) is something i could say but itd be tough just because there so many great fighters out there. id like to see fedor in the ufc and beat brock and randy and then there wud be no argument in him being the greatest heavyweight of all time. i have always felt u cant compare weight classes just because the higher u go up in weight the slower and stonger the fighters get. i think the most talented guy in the game right now in anderson silva IMO.
            That's a great point you make Kyle, it's still to be determined as far as His legacy is concerned. I guess I jumped the gun a bit, but I've never seen such a cold blooded stoic assassin such as Fedor. The way he approaches fighting and competition is something not seen yet in MMA. And even though he will never reach Ali's level of recognition and contribution to the sport his demeanor and sportsmanship are what define him. Where Ali was charismatic, bragadocious, and downright disrespectful to opponents Fedor is quiet, humble, and above all an honorable opponent. I hope he drops to 205 at somepoint because I agree that's where the best fight at, but at 6' foot 230 lbs. he makes it look easy and surreal against giants and beasts.
            As far as Andersen Silva p4p best, he's a great choice, but even he thinks maybe BJ penn is the best. I have him second to Fedor, although BJ is my favorite fighter of all time, only because of his lack of devotion to the sport in the earlier part of his career.
            Last edited by eltorohmp; 01-27-2009, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

ya i agree bj is very talented but i just think he still doesnt take the sport as serious as he should. i find that hes so talented and if he was in shape he could take pretty much anyone in any weight class. well see what bj is made of this saturday against GSP. he better be ready to go 5 rounds at GSPs pace. going to be tough. Also agree on fedor...the stone cold face he has before a fight is kind of crazy.
              ________
              Cumm4Uu
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• eltorohmp
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Dec 2008

bj penn

I think if BJ is in top shape it shouldn't go five rounds. I beleive BJ wears GSP down in rounds 1 and 2 with strikes, mostly boxing, and finishes him in the third with a rear naked choke. That's IF he's in top shape, if he isn't, look for GSP to grind out another close decision...

Comment

• Kyle
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by eltorohmp View Post
                  I think if BJ is in top shape it shouldn't go five rounds. I beleive BJ wears GSP down in rounds 1 and 2 with strikes, mostly boxing, and finishes him in the third with a rear naked choke. That's IF he's in top shape, if he isn't, look for GSP to grind out another close decision...
                  Couldnt agree more...Unless somehow GSP finds some sort of strategy to get BJ but i really doubt it. keep in mind GSP got knocked out by serra so his chin is very questionable. i am rooting for GSP though...i gotta support the canadian boy.
                  ________
                  red head girl Webcam
                  Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• eltorohmp
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    Couldnt agree more...Unless somehow GSP finds some sort of strategy to get BJ but i really doubt it. keep in mind GSP got knocked out by serra so his chin is very questionable. i am rooting for GSP though...i gotta support the canadian boy.
                    Can't fault you for keeping it real, I admire your honesty in giving BJ his dues although you root for GSP, and although this thread started by posing the question of Fedor's ranking it has turned into a mutual agreement that if BJ get's past GSP he could and should be top dog or at least up there with Fedor...

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

Can't fault you for keeping it real, I admire your honesty in giving BJ his dues although you root for GSP, and although this thread started by posing the question of Fedor's ranking it has turned into a mutual agreement that if BJ get's past GSP he could and should be top dog or at least up there with Fedor...
                      hahaha ya we kind of stay on topic. it was about fedor being the best then we just moved on to the "best" as a whole rather than just fedor.
                      ________
                      Vapezilla Vaporizer.

Comment

• bigboy
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2009

I am sorry but this old guy has to go way back and vote for Ali as the greatest. I think I have seen every fight and if he is not the greatest he sure was the smartest!!

Comment

• bigboy
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2009

Upon further review if Mike Tyson had kept his head on straight he could have been right up there. He could knock you out with either hand !! He started fighting around my area in New york so I saw some of his early fights live like Marvin Fraiser.

Comment

• eltorohmp
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bigboy View Post
                            Upon further review if Mike Tyson had kept his head on straight he could have been right up there. He could knock you out with either hand !! He started fighting around my area in New york so I saw some of his early fights live like Marvin Fraiser.
                            Mike Tyson was his own worst enemy and really only had about 4 solid years as the baddest man on earth, as soon as Cus died so did Iron Mike's career. As far as Ali goes, it's hard to argue against such a bonafide legend/superstar who made boxing what it is. I just don't think Ali even in his prime could last a whole round of all out scrapping against Fedor, thus I have to pick Fedor. I could and have been wrong in the past so this is just silly speculation, BJ Penn's a good example. Kyle had it pegged, the dude just doesn't train like a true champ should. Good call Kyle...

Comment

• Kyle
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2006

BJ Penn's a good example. Kyle had it pegged, the dude just doesn't train like a true champ should. Good call Kyle...
                              ya its frustrating to watch BJ do that because he is so talented. i find another one of BJs problem is he doesnt have the best training partners. There is not a single guy in his camp that he cant easily tap. i feel like hes the best guy in his training camp and hes only making others better there not making him better. to get better you have to train against better fighters and i dont think BJ has that.
                              ________
                              Paradise Park Jomtien

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...