Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > General Archives

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Steven is on a distinguished road
standing still vs moving around

What do you guys think about standing still while you hit the speed bag vs. moving around like this guy: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f5WyDGUIoQA ... The way I was taught it was to stand stationary
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
It is a very typical boxing style workout. Synonymous with "stick and move". He appears to have very good rhythm, a powerful punch and very good at trapping the bag. I'd say this man has spent some time under the board.

The noticeable difference is that he only hits the front of the bag in the basic rhythm, then does some trapping. It is much more difficult to move around like that when hitting from all around the bag like some of us do. That is some of the adaptibility of the speed bag. You can modify the way you use it for your individual style and purpose.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

THE 10th Year Reunion!

The Art of the Bag
Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Yeah, thats one of the things I love about the speedbag ... so many styles out there. I think I prefer your way hitting all around the bag than just hitting the front like him. But I never did any trapping ... might be fun. That guy is a professional boxer by the way: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XjOs1suUA...elated&search=
Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
I really would like to build an old school platform that you could work any size bag 360 degrees. Just don't have the space to do it, though. You see pics of them at the training camps of various fighters during the early to mid twentieth century. They were set up in their own "rings", allowing one to "dance" around the bag.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

Yeah, thats what I'm trying to build. Do you have any pics of them?
Old 09-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
Actually, look at Billy Mack's and Ninja's platforms. They're ceiling mounted and can be worked 360 degrees
Old 09-15-2007, 01:39 AM

BillyMack is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BillyMack Send a message via MSN to BillyMack
Yup

Here's some quick pics of my setup. It's a 36" diameter, 2" thick quarter-sawn white oak table top. I bought it for $80 off craigslist. We had one meal on it then I tore it apart and did my thing. It is supported by 4 spring-loaded pipes and held up by one stainless steel cable. I originally planned to anchor the cable to a series of hooks to adjust for height, but I think it was Ninja who suggested a winch. I bought an electric winch for $100 which included a remote control so I can adjust the height on the fly with the touch of a button. I can also let it down as low as I want to incorporate sit ups and speed bag, not to mention the obvious 360 degree accessibility...

http://picasaweb.google.com/billymackk
Old 09-15-2007, 01:42 AM

ninja420 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish I recomeded the winch but I still think thats the best platform EVER!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Speed Bag Guru

metaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMack View Post
Here's some quick pics of my setup. It's a 36" diameter, 2" thick quarter-sawn white oak table top. I bought it for $80 off craigslist. We had one meal on it then I tore it apart and did my thing. It is supported by 4 spring-loaded pipes and held up by one stainless steel cable. I originally planned to anchor the cable to a series of hooks to adjust for height, but I think it was Ninja who suggested a winch. I bought an electric winch for $100 which included a remote control so I can adjust the height on the fly with the touch of a button. I can also let it down as low as I want to incorporate sit ups and speed bag, not to mention the obvious 360 degree accessibility...

HMMMM........getting an idea.......
Old 09-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMack View Post

very impressive rig! Where do you get those metal pipe things from?