Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > General Archives

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

dsmith2296 is on a distinguished road
Speed bag as musical instrument

Can anybody 'speedbag' the Willaim Tale Overture?
That would be real cool.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2296 View Post
Can anybody 'speedbag' the Willaim Tale Overture?
That would be real cool.
I do admire a man with discriminating musical taste! Rossini's William Tell Overture is an awesome piece of classical music, particular this last half, which is very fast and a challenging speed bag workout.

You are right in that it is very cool to hit to, and I have made various attempts, some standing and some on cycles. Here is a clip
"speed bagging to the Wm Tell Overture" ( from 2001) that you may find interesting.

For the record, it is a medium speed song for what I call "basic punching in straight time", and it is very challenging (fast) for "syncopated punching". The fun part of punching to this song is that you can use the speed bag beat pattern to perfectly match the beat cadence of the (famous) four measure MELODY, which repeats 4 times. (* you'll see and hear it at 2:02 - 2:14 in this clip. Look for the alternating 3 - Punch Fist Rolls..)

I really like punching to this piece, and it's easy to crash and burn at any time.....

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. IX! Summer 2018

The Art of the Bag

Last edited by Speedbag; 01-04-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

dsmith2296 is on a distinguished road
That was great- had no idea somebody had come up with that idea- probably because noone else can do it. Unfortunately, I just started hitting Christmas '07 so I won't get there for a while.

I always take up something new for the year. In '06 I got a guitar and in '05 I a got a chess set. My goal is to be very mediocre at many things.

I've got a meager 1500 rating in speed chess and I just learned Camptown Races on the guitar. Perhaps I can try that song first on the speed bag!

Thanks for the post.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2296 View Post
That was great- had no idea somebody had come up with that idea- probably because noone else can do it. Unfortunately, I just started hitting Christmas '07 so I won't get there for a while.

I always take up something new for the year. In '06 I got a guitar and in '05 I a got a chess set. My goal is to be very mediocre at many things.

I've got a meager 1500 rating in speed chess and I just learned Camptown Races on the guitar. Perhaps I can try that song first on the speed bag!

Thanks for the post.
That would be challenging for a beginner, but if you do go for it, then I suggest you start out by tapping your foot to the beat, then start punching the bag from the front, hitting the bag every time you tap your foot. Four beats, four punches in the triplet rhythm. Adjust your punching speed to sync up your foot tap and punch. I call that "punching in straight time", or basic rhythm punching. You will probably quick feel your when your punching is in sync with the song beat.

good luck.

The Quest Continues...

The Art of the Bag
Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Speed Bag Guru

atgatt is on a distinguished road
Bravo! Bravo! Standing ovation.

I read all those sites you once listed on rhythm studies. As I sit here thinking what other sports or sports training involves rhythm, not many come to mind beyond the speedbag. There's jump rope, jazzercise, and ....can't think of much else at the moment.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 AM

roberthelpus is on a distinguished road
Not explicitly, but what doesn't involve rhythm. Breathing and your heartbeat.

Jumping rope, gymnastics, jumping jacks and other calisthenics (especially when done in a group,) running, bicycling...
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthelpus View Post
Not explicitly, but what doesn't involve rhythm. Breathing and your heartbeat.

Jumping rope, gymnastics, jumping jacks and other calisthenics (especially when done in a group,) running, bicycling...
Exactly! There is a rhythm to everything we do, and most things that happen around us. I believe part of the "runners high" or trance state that runners enter is also a function of their own footbeats, that repetitive cadence of their feet hitting the ground, and the sounds of their own breathing. The smack of the rope on the ground is a great example for rope jumping.

anything that requires "consisent speed and repetition" will establish a rhythm, and your body will sync to it. The speed bag is no different. When I "punch drum" to music, I'm just allowing my hands and bag beats to "sync" with the speed of the music. The timer in my head tells me how fast to go to stay on beat.

The Quest Continues...

The Art of the Bag
Old 01-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Aww man. Now don't be going all drum circle on me
Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthelpus View Post
Aww man. Now don't be going all drum circle on me
Aww man, I love drum circles. I'd love to put a bag on the beach in Sarasota Florida. Every Sunday evening they have a sunset drum circle on Siesta Key beach. I've been to it (and a few other locations,) and I'm positive I could use a speed bag to join into their rhythmic cadences.

The Quest Continues...

The Art of the Bag
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM

How do I say this without sounding like the grinch who stole rhythm

As a conguero and bongocero who has been studying AfroCuban percussion for over 11 years - been a musician for over over thirty - I have some problems with the whole drum circle scene. I mean I'm happy for them and all that, and am glad that they are having fun but it has led to some disrespect for my instrument and what I do. You don't hear of violin circles because of course a violin is a real musical instrument that you have to actually learn how to play.

I will still go to the damn things, trolling for actual drummers, or someone who would like to learn something, but that rarely happens. Hey, I've even met Arthur Hull at one of his "playshops" and let him join a friend and I in a Bembe 6/8 I even gave up my drum and jumped on bell. But his whole spiel is a load of BS.

The thing that gets me is the reluctance, of most of the drum circle folks that I have run into, to practicing or learning how to actually play their instruments, let alone learning actual rhythms or songs.

But don't let me rain on your parade. You just have to figure out how to make a portable rig that you can get relatively level and stable on the beach. That and figure out how to be heard over your usual too loud djembe whackers