• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
    Thanks for posting that

I rather enjoyed the hell outta it. Going to build another wall-mount platform based on that setup. I'm predicting alot of course language while I try and get used to it.

It never ends, this baggin.
    I bolt the eye to this dry (no lube) bearing,

No swearing necessary, becomes as easy to hit as a ball hook and is quiet. Bearing spins extremely freely.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      I bolt the eye to this dry (no lube) bearing,

No swearing necessary, becomes as easy to hit as a ball hook and is quiet. Bearing spins extremely freely.
      Can you post some pictures...bolt the eye to bearing...then how do you mount it to the board? Confusion abounds...
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        Can you post some pictures...bolt the eye to bearing...then how do you mount it to the board? Confusion abounds...
        I'm so glad you asked! I'm trying to figure that out. I definitely want to try this.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          One way is to make a surface mount for the swivel. In the photos you can see the complete assembly, all the pieces taken apart, the wooden block, the swivel itself.

I chose an all stainless steel swivel to avoid rust since the platform is located in an uninsulated attached porch. The stainless steel dry bearing was chosen because these are very free spinning which is important. A regular small bearing that you can get the seals off (if it is sealed) and the lube cleaned out of should also work if you have some bearings laying around. Select a size to fit your eye bolt. The stainless eye bolt shown came from the local hardware store. The bearing as mentioned came from Amazon. I bought several.

Two holes in the center of the wooden block are needed for the bearing. In my case the OD of the bearing is exactly 3/4" and it fits really tightly into a 3/4" hole. I can't recall if I used a Forstner bit, but probably it was a flat spade bit in a drill press. The smaller center hole needs to be big enough so that the nut on the eye does not rub the side of the hole when it spins. It's there to provide a small ledge to support the bearing. The bearing sits flush with the surface of the wooden block. The washer on the surface just covers the edge of the bearing preventing the bearing from popping out when punching the bag hard.

If you use the stainless bearing shown, it has dust shields. When tapping the bearing into the wooden block avoid hitting a shield or it will bend and the bearing will bind. Best to tap the bearing in place via the eye itself and you'll avoid the problem. The two nuts fasten the eye to the bearing tightly. Loctite was used to keep it that way.

I opened up the eye slightly with a drift pin so that the paracord is a very tight fit. If the fit is not tight the bag will fly off even though it looks like it would not. There's a glass window behind my platform so flying bags are not permitted. I also wear glasses, so there's that.

I leave the paracord loop on bags at all times. Each bag has a paracord loop, this permits rapid bag change. If I were to use a bag on a ball hook swivel the paracord doesn't get in the way so it can stay on the bag.

You could make a flush mount swivel if you wish, but the surface mount made from a scrap of wood is good practice before drilling big holes in your drum. Making the mount shown is an easy way to try out the swivel to see if you like it. It's the only swivel I've used in recent years.

I like it because the swivel always hits the same even in cold temperatures. It's an extremely low friction swivel, it's lively, and no lubrication is needed ever.
          Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Paracord is slippery and regular knots do not hold. I use the zeppelin bend as shown here,

The video worked for me, but if that's confusing to you there are other videos on YouTube that show the secret of this best kept secret. It's a great knot.

Comment

• Bag Man
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              One way is to make a surface mount for the swivel. In the photos you can see the complete assembly, all the pieces taken apart, the wooden block, the swivel itself.

I chose an all stainless steel swivel to avoid rust since the platform is located in an uninsulated attached porch. The stainless steel dry bearing was chosen because these are very free spinning which is important. A regular small bearing that you can get the seals off (if it is sealed) and the lube cleaned out of should also work if you have some bearings laying around. Select a size to fit your eye bolt. The stainless eye bolt shown came from the local hardware store. The bearing as mentioned came from Amazon. I bought several.

Two holes in the center of the wooden block are needed for the bearing. In my case the OD of the bearing is exactly 3/4" and it fits really tightly into a 3/4" hole. I can't recall if I used a Forstner bit, but probably it was a flat spade bit in a drill press. The smaller center hole needs to be big enough so that the nut on the eye does not rub the side of the hole when it spins. It's there to provide a small ledge to support the bearing. The bearing sits flush with the surface of the wooden block. The washer on the surface just covers the edge of the bearing preventing the bearing from popping out when punching the bag hard.

If you use the stainless bearing shown, it has dust shields. When tapping the bearing into the wooden block avoid hitting a shield or it will bend and the bearing will bind. Best to tap the bearing in place via the eye itself and you'll avoid the problem. The two nuts fasten the eye to the bearing tightly. Loctite was used to keep it that way.

I opened up the eye slightly with a drift pin so that the paracord is a very tight fit. If the fit is not tight the bag will fly off even though it looks like it would not. There's a glass window behind my platform so flying bags are not permitted. I also wear glasses, so there's that.

I leave the paracord loop on bags at all times. Each bag has a paracord loop, this permits rapid bag change. If I were to use a bag on a ball hook swivel the paracord doesn't get in the way so it can stay on the bag.

You could make a flush mount swivel if you wish, but the surface mount made from a scrap of wood is good practice before drilling big holes in your drum. Making the mount shown is an easy way to try out the swivel to see if you like it. It's the only swivel I've used in recent years.

I like it because the swivel always hits the same even in cold temperatures. It's an extremely low friction swivel, it's lively, and no lubrication is needed ever.
              Back to the future so to speak.

Bag Man
              "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Thank you...now it makes perfect sense! Those are great instructions.. once I Google what a "Forstner bit" & "drift pin" are... I'll be all set!

...again, I never claimed to be the brightest bulb on the tree!

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

...oh and I LOVE Led Zeppelin!!!

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                    Back to the future so to speak.

Bag Man
                    Back to the year 1895 for certain. The Spalding No. 11 iron swivel is the same idea without a ball bearing. Adding a ball bearing means the swivel works well with the lightest bags such as the Title Atomic XXS.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

After working with it now for a few days, I have to say that I am very surprised at how quiet the Forza is. That little black pad really does the trick. Hearing nothing but the leather and the wood. Question is, what to do with all these clanky Everlast U-hooks. Why the hell did I buy FOUR of them?

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Well there is a couple of things that you can do. One is to put them back on the market. There is a demand for them, as you have found out. The other is you could try putting a thin felt pad in them that reduces some of the noise. That's what Whitely No Jump swivels had originally. You will be hard pressed to find any of these that still have the pad in them tho, once they wore out most people didn't bother to replace them....

Comment

• BagBoy
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          The other is you could try putting a thin felt pad in them that reduces some of the noise.
                          Definitely going to do that. Thank you.
                          Last edited by BagBoy; 04-04-2018, 02:05 AM. Reason: had to add something

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...