• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Solving platform vibration

Hi all I'm new to the forum and have a question about my setup. This question has probably been answered already and if so please direct me to the thread. I have a Century speed bag/heavy bag combo stand. I like it except for my platform. It just doesn't "feel" right. I've been looking at platforms in catalogs and see that the majority are really thick. What can I do with mine to stablize it better? I don't know the exact thickness of my platform but it came with the setup.
    sigpic
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

So this is the freestanding unit? Just be aware that a freestanding unit is always going to have more vibration and not feel as solid as a wall mount unit. But don't despair... you can make a LOT of progress on a setup such as that.

A few things you can do:

1. Throw some amount of bagged sand on the top. 50 pounds of sand makes a remarkable difference in vibration reduction for almost any speedbag platform. (Needless to say don't put so much it tips the thing over).

2. Replace (or add) some add'l board(s) to the top of it.

3. Use straps to help tie it down and remove vibration (see pics in link below)

There's a good amount of info on this topic here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speed_bag_setups

And welcome to the forums... don't hesitate to ask any question you have.
    Last edited by Tim; 05-03-2007, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Century Freestanding bag stand.

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
      Hi all I'm new to the forum and have a question about my setup. This question has probably been answered already and if so please direct me to the thread. I have a Century speed bag/heavy bag combo stand. I like it except for my platform. It just doesn't "feel" right. I've been looking at platforms in catalogs and see that the majority are really thick. What can I do with mine to stablize it better? I don't know the exact thickness of my platform but it came with the setup.
      Hi Metaldad. Welcome to the forum, and don't be shy to ask any questions. Yea, we get the same ones occassionally, but that's OK. Every "newbie" brings fresh excitement to the bag and the forum.

I have often wondered how to stablize the Century Freestanding bag stand. The straps shown on speedbagcentral setups were easily arranged on that particular stand, with open ended Channel Iron and wide floor pods, - NONE of which appear on your unit. That makes using straps to stabilize your unit a lot more difficult and most likely will take a little "personal additions" to the unit, meaning to add something on top or below to create the attachment points and create a decent angle to run the straps. I believe Tim had to modify a floor stand a little to stabilize it. I'll check some earlier threads for pictures on that.

I imagine someone in this talented group of members either has modified a unit similiar to yours, or has the ability to do it. We've got some unreal wood and metal fabricators, designers here that have made some unbelievable home speed bag units. From scratch, no less.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

thanks to both of you!!
        i tried it out and so far it seems to work. i put a duffel bag with two sand bags in it on top and used a couple of straps on the frame and cinched them as tight as i could get them. i was only able to briefly test it out but maybe today i can get a bit more into it
        sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...