Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > General Archives

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Speed Bag Guru

atgatt is on a distinguished road
Sorry, but I responded yesterday but it didn't take. That seems to happen when I'm on the road.

Anyway in brief, it does have a chest strap but it is comfortable and easy to wear and put on. Even wore it once to bed to see how low my heart rate would go. It went down to the lower 60s.

The one I have needs to be worn on the wrist.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2296 View Post
Is there a way to find out how many calories a specific person burns at a specified heart rate. e.g., I am 5' 10", 180lbs- how many calories would i burn if I maintained 125 bpm for, say, 30 minutes.
I poked around on the web, but couldn't find anything ... I'm pretty sure that's how these heart rate montiors do it, but the formula is a mystery.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

dsmith2296 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
The one I have needs to be worn on the wrist.
Doesn't that impede your punches?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2296 View Post
Doesn't that impede your punches?
Mine does... it's pretty bulky. I find it inhibiting on double and triple elbow strikes (it can drag on the bag after the fist hits and before the elbow). I also find my knuckles (of the opposite hand) dragging on it during fist rolls (F-ROLL)

Mine has a chest strap, which is annoying to put on, but I've found you can wear the watch (which on mine is merely for display of the numbers) on a belt loop and it works just as well.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:33 AM
Speed Bag Guru

The Polar is very light and small on the wrist, and the chest strap is very easy to put on. Once on, it is so comfortable and thin, you forget you are wearing it.

Regarding calories, once you know specifics that the heart monitor is telling you, then with that you can start to figure out a calorie burn rate.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

I'm going to wear the monitor more often because it is very interesting to me to see what my heart is doing not only on the speedbags, but also doing everyday activities.

God was very clever in designing the heart.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Speed Bag Guru

As with so many things, I'm reading and finding that the max heart rate formula that is 220 - your age, is bogus. I'll have to read more on the subject though.

My concern grew when hitting the various bags today, I was able to get my rate beyond 170 and my monitor started to beep at 166 and beyond since I programmed it for being my max and warning.

Even in the 170s, although I was winded, I didn't feel I was at my max and would like to push it more sometime.

I just wonder if it is dangerous.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Speed Bag Guru

jaguiler is on a distinguished road
Talking about HRM's here is some research I did with my heart rate monitor -

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=299
Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Speed Bag Guru

jaguiler,

Thanks. I'll have to take more time to read the attachments from the other responses to you.

Like you, I'm in the 120/130 range when hitting the speedbag, but going hard at it, slight rest, hard at it, etc. I can reach the 160s.

Same with the double end bag. Hitting, ducking, weaving, blocking puts me in the 130s. but really going at the double end, puts me in the 160s.

Really pushing the speedbag can get me just over the 170 range briefly and not have a heart attack, yet.

What is your resting rate? That is when you are very rested and still laying down. Mine is in the low 60s. Someday I plan on going lower to a flat line.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 AM

speedbag4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
As with so many things, I'm reading and finding that the max heart rate formula that is 220 - your age, is bogus. I'll have to read more on the subject though.

My concern grew when hitting the various bags today, I was able to get my rate beyond 170 and my monitor started to beep at 166 and beyond since I programmed it for being my max and warning.

Even in the 170s, although I was winded, I didn't feel I was at my max and would like to push it more sometime.

I just wonder if it is dangerous.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?
No scientific/studied knowledge, but anecdotal. Having scoffed the max heart rate formula for years, I agree that there's something relatively bogus about it. Listening to your body is a better gauge than using a little math formula. That said, the formula isn't entirely without merit. A ball-park estimate is a good start.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 PM

roberthelpus is on a distinguished road
I think that I am going to basically ignore the whole heart rate thing as well. Other than the recovery function on my stationary bike.

When my father was hooked up to monitors in the hospital with pnuemonia a few times is resting heart rate went down into the thirties. Years before that they had him on the treadmill for a stress test with two nurses hanging on him in an attempt to reach a target heart rate. He thought that they were trying to kill him.

So guessing that I may have inherited his genes in this regard I don't think that I will pay too much attention to the expectations. I've definitely felt that I was putting out some considerable effort while my heart rate was nowhere near the targets for my age bracket.