• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • negativelead
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2015

Replacement Bladder

I ordered a 5 x 8 Title Classic Speed Bag a few weeks ago. I've tried it out but have not really been impressed with it. Basically I consider the speed of its rebounds to be slow. In a previous post a more tenured member suggested that I needed a replacement bladder to "wake up " the bag.
    I went to order a bladder today but the only size I saw on amazon close to the 5 x 8 size of the bag was 4 x 7. My question is is the bladder a little smaller than the advertised size of the bag? It would make sense, allowing it to fit, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for your help
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

What Ralph said........

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

What Ralph & Dutchman said....
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• stefoz
        • Apr 2015

i have replace mine already.the difference is huge !!!!

Comment

• ozzy
          • Mar 2015

Hello all,

Well, when I eventually got into my deb the bladder was split right down a seam - and this was a brand new unused deb from Forza Sports in the States!

I've tried all day to remove the old bladder's round bit of cloth-like material that was at the base of the valve, it's stuck to the square piece of leather and won't budge. Do I really need to get this stuff off before I glue the new bladder into place, and if so has anyone any suggestions to help take the stuff off - it would be a big help.

Cheers - ozzy

Comment

• ozzy
            • Mar 2015

Thank you for the reply ventanakaz but I feel we have crossed-wires, probably because I didn't explain my problem very well. I hope you don't mind if I try to give a better explanation. I have tried to include photos but I get error messages when trying to upload them.

I bought and eventually received a peanut-shaped deb from Forza Sports in the US - I live in the UK. Unfortunately I couldn't blow up one of the bladders.

Once unlaced I found that the bladder was split all the way down one edge - strange as this was supposed to be a new deb. Anyway, I also found that the bladder was also hanging on by a thread at the valve and was easily removed.

However the white circular cloth-like material that was around the top of the bladder (centered on the valve) was still stuck to the square piece of leather (the bladder's valve goes through the centre of this square). I have tried and tried to remove this white-ish material without success. Which means I won't be able to glue the new bladder to a clean piece of leather, unless someone can suggest something that will allow me to take the material off the leather - any ideas anyone? If no one can suggest something to help I shall have to glue the new bladder to the leather square with this material, from the old bladder, between the leather and the new bladder.

I hope I've explained the problem better this time and I apologise for not being able to include the photographs I've taken - they are jpegs and within the max size range so I have no idea why they produce an error when uploaded.

I hope someone can suggest something - thank you for your patience if you've read this far

Keep on baggin - ozzy

Comment

• ozzy
              • Mar 2015

Think I can upload photos now - here's some pics to go with the above gibberish, the first one being too dark and the second one being a bit out of focus

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	91200

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	91201

The second pic shows the whiteish circular material that I need to remove from the leather square - however I think it must have been attached with superglue!

ozzy
              Last edited by ozzy; 07-16-2015, 05:19 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2015

Not sure if you need to remove that stuck on layer. Maybe just glue the new bladder onto it and boom. When I put the replacement orange bladder in my yellow title speed bag I didn't bother glueing it in. I just put the bladder in and lined up the valve to the hole, inserted the needle of my pump and kept it pinched in place with my fingers until I had enough air in it for it to wedge in place. Down side is the bladder moves slightly and it needs to be located when air top ups are due, but that's easy enough. Plus side was no glue = instant baggin for cheapskate Seaweed Man.

Comment

• BaggerBob
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ozzy View Post
                  Think I can upload photos now - here's some pics to go with the above gibberish, the first one being too dark and the second one being a bit out of focus

[ATTACH]5082[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5083[/ATTACH]

The second pic shows the whiteish circular material that I need to remove from the leather square - however I think it must have been attached with superglue!

ozzy
                  Why do you need to remove it? Couldn't you just take a small pair of scissors , trim it up a bit and glue the new bladder to it the way it is?

Comment

• ozzy
                    • Mar 2015

Thank you for the replies Speedbag Seaweed Man and BaggerBob - I was trying to do the job properly as this is the first time I've done a bladder fix, however as both of you suggest, I shall have to be a bit more pragmatic and just get the job done. I will leave the material there and just trim it a bit.

I think I will use glue this time on this deb Speedbag Seaweed Man but I shall certainly have a go at your glueless method when I do my first speedbag repair - really good idea.

Thank you both.

Keep on baggin, baggin bros - ozzy

Comment

• Bag Man
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
                      Not sure if you need to remove that stuck on layer. Maybe just glue the new bladder onto it and boom. When I put the replacement orange bladder in my yellow title speed bag I didn't bother glueing it in. I just put the bladder in and lined up the valve to the hole, inserted the needle of my pump and kept it pinched in place with my fingers until I had enough air in it for it to wedge in place. Down side is the bladder moves slightly and it needs to be located when air top ups are due, but that's easy enough. Plus side was no glue = instant baggin for cheapskate Seaweed Man.
                      This is how i've done it over the years. I never saw the need to glue, and as far as I can tell it has not made a difference. I've never had the bladder move inside the bag, but maybe that's a result of the fact that I may be over inflating the bladder.
                      "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• stefoz
                        • Apr 2015

Exactly what seaweed man said.I have replaced 5 title bladders last month.From black to pink.Specially don't worry about gluing it.And get on to Forza sports to compensate you .I am in Australia and not another bagger around here(Melbourne)so i am learning everything the hard way and pay more money on shipping than products.Thanks to speed bag forum and the guys for the great help.
                        Last edited by stefoz; 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• stefoz
                          • Apr 2015

I just saw you photos.Do not touch the white-ish material.It is where your new bladder 's valve is going through.And where you put your glue.Basically it is a part of the speed bag.You rip that you rip the bag.cheers
                          Last edited by stefoz; 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

• Del-Striking
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by stefoz View Post
                            I just saw you photos.Do not touch the white-ish material.It is where your new bladder 's valve is going through.And where you put your glue.Basically it is a part of the speed bag.You rip that you rip the bag.cheers
                            Stefoz nailed it, that's part of the bag just put rubber cement on that and the bladder let it tack up press and hold for about 5 minutes and your in business. It's the only surface that's suitable for adhesive.

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

You don't HAVE to use the rubber cement, but it helps if the bag is left & deflates, so the nipple doesn't disappear into the bag. DO NOT remove that piece of leather, it's part of the bag.
                              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...