Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExEODCDR
    • Apr 2011

I've been building things a long time and have tons of tools. Building is half the fun for me. But I was getting antsy towards the end. I just wanted to bag!

I actually drilled the pilot holes first by mistake then went back in with the spade bit to creats the countersink hole... with the blade still, i pushed the spade bit into the hole to kind of "seat" it in the wood. I had everything clamped and secured down really well, then put good downward force on the drill & spade bit as I slowly ran the drill. It chattered a bit at first, but once it bit I had a good countersink hole. (Disclaimer -- that's just what I did --SAFETY FIRST with power tools!!)

Also, try using lock-tite on the bolt threads to secure your wing nuts -- or just use some glue on the threads to prevent the wing nuts from backing out if you don't have lock tite handy. Lotta vibration will work those suckers out. (I rode old Harleys for a long time and they'd vibrate and I'd hear pieces fall off as I was riding... oops!!!)

As long as your rig works that's all that matters!! Aesthetics is second to function! Post pics!!! My board might look good, but you'll probably smoke me with your skills!!! HA HA!!!
    -
    Owner/Operator
    www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• spd20
      • Apr 2011

I just started woodworking a few years ago and really enjoy it. I've got a long way to go in terms of skills but the process of discovering, learning, designing, cutting, joining and assembling is fantastic. There's nothing like creating something from nothing. My garage is my shop, home to my little table saw and now my speed bag board. It's perfect. Jump over to the speed bag platform when you're either frustrated with a project or as a reward for having completed a project. It's a win/win situation!

I'm going to give your spade bit trick a try. Sounds like it's best to use the variable speed drill instead of going full force with a corded drill. I might try adding locking washers on the bolts to see if it holds better. I like the idea of being able to take the board and/or swivel down if I need to....especially since I need to put a finish on it and countersink those bolts...oh and paint the scrap wood.

Here are a couple of photos. It looks like a disaster but it's effective. I'd always had the idea in mind to put buffer boards under the joists (to bring the board down to a reasonable height) since I don't have an empty wall to attach a regular "L" platform. It wasn't until I saw Zaza's photo of his that I decided to go for it.

Speed Bag Board/Platform A

Speed Bag Board/Platform B

Comment

• ExEODCDR
        • Apr 2011

Dude!! That looks solid!! Rock on!!!!
        -
        Owner/Operator
        www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...