X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
    …They used to play that song in Caesar's mall in Las Vegas all of the time along with a lot of Basia.
    Good punching, and your muffin look good to me! (Am I allowed to say that?)

Ha! I guess so! So, you remember BASIA?! Very good, she was a one-hit wonder new age, pop/jazz singer type… I loved her music ("Time and Tide").

As for my back, I haven't ever noticed any discomfort from vertical punching. But I'll only work out on it for half an hour at the most. I my opinion, it actually HELPS my back. I'm loosening up all the muscles that were tight.

I have to be careful as to how high I have the bag, and the size of the bag as well. If it's too big, I have to dodge it as I punch. And with vertical punching, you have to hit the bag harder – because of the gravity pulling the bag down. I guess there is a trick to it, the timing is different for when to strike the bag. I just don't try to think too much about it. I just do it.

Originally posted by AtTheCross View Post
    nice punching, now that is motivating me to set my vert up! btw, noticed your ear phones/buds and your device in your pocket, I hated the dangling wires while hitting so I picked up these, they're pricey but they are worth it to me
    Have you tried it yet, ATC? A vertical drum is so inexpensive, and it makes for a great workout. Oh, about the earbuds. Thanks for the recommendation. But, they would be wasted on me. I tend to be very hard on my earphones and so I usually buy the ones on sale for $5.

Originally posted by Jake View Post
    Wow Dee! You make that look easy. It's not.

I decided to do 4-way elbows over and over again to trim my love handles and it worked. I finally got my midsection looking better than ever at 50.

Also, pick up a dumbell, hold it down by your side, lift your shoulder up, and bend at the waist. Also try this move without bending at the waist. Get the Mind-Muscle connection going.

I was watching the UFC Fights on Fox last night. Two fights ended with brutal inward elbows.
    Thanks, Jake. I'm far from perfect on the execution of my strikes, but, I just have to practice more. Mainly, I just like to make the bag beat in time to the music.

That dumbell exercise sounds really effective. Unfortunately, I don't have any dumbells. The heaviest weight I have is my set of 8-lb. hand weights! I have some 2- and 5-lb hand weights that came with the 8's. I've used them to shadow punch when I can't get out to the garage to punch on the bag.
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Basia! I LOVE Basia! Man, we are all getting OLD aren't we?

Speaking of the back... I attached a swivel to a board on the floor to see what floor bagging might be like. I mean, Belle Gordon, Gus Keller and even Doris DeGreen were doing it.

All I can say is...OUCH! Here I was for about a half hour bent over trying to just get a basic rhythm...damn, that is HARD!

I have a new respect for the bagging & bagger's of days gone by. We have to bring all this back to the public eye.
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

Speaking of the back... I attached a swivel to a board on the floor to see what floor bagging might be like. I mean, Belle Gordon, Gus Keller and even Doris DeGreen were doing it.

All I can say is...OUCH! Here I was for about a half hour bent over trying to just get a basic rhythm...damn, that is HARD!

I have a new respect for the bagging & bagger's of days gone by. We have to bring all this back to the public eye.
        yeah, no telling how much they really did is lost to antiquity.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

Justin (Juxt) posted a video back in November 2010 that shows him attempting to work the bag from the floor. He made it look like an old movie, too. And, it does look hard. I imagine part of the trick is using the proper bag. Belle Gordon's bags looked huge – and bulbous. Lots of good bounce to them. That's the key, I think. Once you can wrangle the bouncing bag/ball, it might be easy… maybe…

Joe, if you want to reminisce, check out this old music video of Basia. The characters in it are pretty corny, but she looks and sounds great… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1mfwY7gsQ

I actually saw her at the Paramount in Seattle in the early 90's. I was single at the time, so I took my 12-year-old son! (If you think that I have eclectic taste in music, you should see my son's playlist. )
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...