• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulpo 1989
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2013

Deville Swivel Performance and Questions

I recieved my Deville No. 13 swivel about 2 weeks ago and it's been working great!! However, I'm noticing some small plastic chunks chipping off the base and worry that the brass ball may fall out. Should I not worry about it? Also, I want to lube the ball, but don't have any petroleum gelly on me. Can I use ball bearing lube or only vaseline?

Any response is greatly appreciated
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Pulpo 1989 View Post
    I recieved my Deville No. 13 swivel about 2 weeks ago and it's been working great!! However, I'm noticing some small plastic chunks chipping off the base and worry that the brass ball may fall out. Should I not worry about it? Also, I want to lube the ball, but don't have any petroleum gelly on me. Can I use ball bearing lube or only vaseline?

Hey Pulpo! You shouldn't have problems with nicks in the swivel. If you could either post a photo here on the forum, or if you can email me at DevilleSwivels@gmail.com and attach a close-up of the swivel, I might be able to see what's going on.

It's possible that the eye-screw post is bumping against the base near the opening and that the eye of the screw is making little notches in the neoprene base. This shouldn't be cause for concern, unless it truly is chipping away at the opening. The material is higher quality than the ABS (?) material on a plastic Everlast ball-hook base, and the No.13 is sort of self-healing. Not sure if this makes sense.

Here is a closeup of one of my swivels that I use on a regular basis. The eye screw just barely hits this one and it shows a slight indentation where the eye screw strikes it.

As for a recommended lube, I just use a petroleum jelly product, although there are other lubes out there. I think there's a thread on the forum about it.

Once, I even used Chapstick! But, I have found that Less is More, when it comes to lubing the No.13. The Vaseline can build up, and it can create gray sludge, eventually. For me, the best thing to do is just warm up the swivel by hitting on the bag. I think another forum member stated something similar to this. Just clean up the brass ball and the well of swivel base and you might find it to be a smoother and faster swivel. I'd like to hear from others who lube or don't lube the No.13.
    Attached Files
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I've had mine a bit longer than you have and also notice some flaking around the edges, to be expected due to wear.
      Metal flanged swivels would bend or flatten a bit over time. but I never had one wear enough for the ball to fall out. not yet.

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
      Hey Pulpo! You shouldn't have problems with nicks in the swivel. If you could either post a photo here on the forum, or if you can email me at DevilleSwivels@gmail.com and attach a close-up of the swivel, I might be able to see what's going on.

It's possible that the eye-screw post is bumping against the base near the opening and that the eye of the screw is making little notches in the neoprene base. This shouldn't be cause for concern, unless it truly is chipping away at the opening. The material is higher quality than the ABS (?) material on a plastic Everlast ball-hook base, and the No.13 is sort of self-healing. Not sure if this makes sense.

Here is a closeup of one of my swivels that I use on a regular basis. The eye screw just barely hits this one and it shows a slight indentation where the eye screw strikes it.

As for a recommended lube, I just use a petroleum jelly product, although there are other lubes out there. I think there's a thread on the forum about it.

Once, I even used Chapstick! But, I have found that Less is More, when it comes to lubing the No.13. The Vaseline can build up, and it can create gray sludge, eventually. For me, the best thing to do is just warm up the swivel by hitting on the bag. I think another forum member stated something similar to this. Just clean up the brass ball and the well of swivel base and you might find it to be a smoother and faster swivel. I'd like to hear from others who lube or don't lube the No.13.
      I've been hitting the #13 a lot lately and notice the same wear around the housing. And mine has picked up a mouse somewhere. An unpredictable "squeek", but noticeable. I've tried (1) cleaning it, (2) drops of 3-1 oil, (3) slight hand lotion (worked on past ballhooks), (4) light vaseline.

but it comes back. The action of swivel is fast and accurate, but I can't catch that mouse. yet.

The earlier versions did not have it that I remember.

I also notice that grey sludge, which wipes off pretty easily, but it hasn't killed that demon mouse.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

I don't think it's possible to make a swivel, whether it's out of metal or some sort of poly material that isn't going to eventually wear. Depending on the bagger and how hard they hit and how often, some may actually wear out. I totally expect this. The amount of force on the swivel due to the speed of the bag might surprise us.
        For lube on mine I use Tri-Flow. It doesn't build up a reside
        fedora
        Last edited by fedora; 04-28-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Alan, have you worn out all metal ball hooks, and how long did the best of them last?

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

I'd like to know that too, if someone who has bagged as long as Alan has hit on one particular swivel consistantly year after year has worn out a metal swivel. Someone posted a pic of one he'd hit for years a while back and the edges where the hook hit were totally hammered in. For all practical purposes I'd have to say it was wore out, although it could probably still have been used.

fedora
            Last edited by fedora; 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              Alan, have you worn out all metal ball hooks, and how long did the best of them last?
              No, I have not "worn out" any swivel to the point of complete failure, but several of my older ones did have substancial wear to the housing where either the eye or the shank hit. some pictures below. The two pics on the left are probably my oldest ballhooks, very active during the 1980's to early 90's in my heaviest hitting days. These both saw hundreds of hours of pretty serious hitting. Especially the single one I'm holding in my hand, which appears in a lot of my early punch drumming video's. That threads on that housing are stripped now, so It will ruin any of my spare bases, of which I have several. Notice on these ballhooks, there is very little visible wear around the eye-bolt where the hook attaches. Later model everlast ballhooks would wear severely in the eye-bolt area, and I think that is wear the "metal flakes" controversy came from. But there is no visible wear on these tanks for the 1970's.

I have two board in my garage, and the swivel on the right is hanging on one of them. I haven't used it in a while, but it was used a lot during the filming of my DVD's and for a few years after also. clearly has some housing wear (arrow). Sorry for blurry picture but took it quickly from underneath with hand held camera.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Speedbag; 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                • Apr 2012

Mouse Killer

but it hasn't killed that demon mouse.
                I killed it with silicone spray.
                • 3-IN-ONE professional SILICONE LUBRICANT

High Performance Lubrication
                  Safe on Metal, Rubber, Wood, & Vinyl
                  Quick Drying, No Mess Formula

• 3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)

Excellent Lubricant
                  Contains: Propane, Acetone, Heptane, Poly(Dimethylsiloxane)

No mouse since, with only one good application of the 3M product.
                Last edited by Niki Knuckles; 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM.
                Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Niki Knuckles View Post
                  I killed it with silicon spray.
                  • 3-IN-ONE professional SILICONE LUBRICANT

High Performance Lubrication
                    Safe on Metal, Rubber, Wood, & Vinyl
                    Quick Drying, No Mess Formula

• 3M 08897 Silicon Lubricant (Dry Type)

Excellent Lubricant
                    Contains: Propane, Acetone, Heptane, Poly(Dimethylsiloxane)

No mouse since, with only one good application of the 3M product.
                  So, you noticed it also?
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Pulpo 1989
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Apr 2013

I tried posting yesterday to the thread, but an error message popped up shortly after telling me to let the administrator know that the photo upload process failed. Fortunately, I contacted Ms. Dee and she responded right away!! I will try to post photos soon if the upload error doesn't persist, but I wanted to post my thoughts on Ms. Dee's gesture publicly. Her customer service is fantastic and the product she makes is by far the most versatile swivel for multi-directional bagging, traditional bagging, and honing your accuracy because the swivel does NOT restrict you in one direction or another. I highly recommend this swivel to speedbaggers of all skill levels due to it's learning curve because once you become comfortable on the No. 13 or its previous models, any other swivel will be a breeze to use. As I teach my father and others how to hit the bag, the swivel actually requires more muscle control as opposed to other u-bolt or chain link swivels because if the hand hits the bag at an awkward angle, the bag's trajectory will show it immediately. Therefore, I truly appreciate Ms. Dee's help and dedication to the art form. I'm glad to have become part of such a great crowd Thanks again Dee

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      So, you noticed it also?
                      Yes Sir.
                      Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I tried posting yesterday to the thread, but an error message popped up shortly after telling me to let the administrator know that the photo upload process failed. Fortunately, I contacted Ms. Dee and she responded right away!! I will try to post photos soon if the upload error doesn't persist, but I wanted to post my thoughts on Ms. Dee's gesture publicly. Her customer service is fantastic and the product she makes is by far the most versatile swivel for multi-directional bagging, traditional bagging, and honing your accuracy because the swivel does NOT restrict you in one direction or another. I highly recommend this swivel to speedbaggers of all skill levels due to it's learning curve because once you become comfortable on the No. 13 or its previous models, any other swivel will be a breeze to use. As I teach my father and others how to hit the bag, the swivel actually requires more muscle control as opposed to other u-bolt or chain link swivels because if the hand hits the bag at an awkward angle, the bag's trajectory will show it immediately. Therefore,I truly appreciate Ms. Dee's help and dedication to the art form. I'm glad to have become part of such a great crowd Thanks again Dee
                        Thanks for posting this. Dee is one of the special jewels in our speed bag community, Quietly going about changing the entire future of speed baggin' in her own way. Providing unique and needed equipment, teaching both horizontal and vertical baggin' around her area, creating and posting terrific punch drumming video's and show the world that a womans place is definitely under the board. She is an amazing bagger, but that just comes along with being and amazing person. Give it up for DEE!

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Yeah DEE!
                          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• swfl
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2013

watched her videos over and over. inspirational! Swivel is great. no mouse here.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by swfl View Post
                              watched her videos over and over. inspirational! Swivel is great. no mouse here.
                              I going to put a bit of cheese above my board to see if mine comes out.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...