Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowpolyjoe
    • Jun 2015

Attached the second part of the frame to the top of the drum, then secured it with screws from the side of the wall mounted frame. It was not very sturdy so I added an additional support screwed to the front of the drum frame and the top of the wall frame.
    Attached Files

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
      • Jun 2015

No sand handy, so I threw a 30lb bag of cat litter on the frame.

I'm kind of disappointed. It's more rigid than the Everlast stand platform but not nearly as rigid as I hoped. It also transfers quite a bit of vibration to the floor above.

I think I need a few more screws to secure the top frame to the drum. And once I can get some sand that should help also.

Best part is that I could take down the everlast stand, which cleared up a ton of space in my gym room.

Guess I can't complain since it was all free materials I had on hand. I've got some ideas on another frame system that should be more rigid - might take me a while before I'm ambitious enough to start another build
      Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

Translation- utilization of some triangulation adaptation with the anticipation of vibration absorption minimization from your creation into your accommodation providing alleviation to your situation.

That is the recommendation

Comment

• BaggerBob
          • Jun 2015

You did a nice job. I don't think I'd scrap the frame, if anything replace the drum with a more dense material.

Some of the vibration you are experiencing may be from using pine for your drum. Pine is the least dense of all materials and it may resonate sound vibration the most. I would say your bracket may be fine, it's possible the drum material is your problem. Tap on a piece of pine and listen...now tap on a rock.

I would suggest to anyone building a drum in the future that wishes to save money, look on craigslist in your area for old/used hard maple butcher block tables.

I looked into buying rock maple to make mine and found it to be cost prohibitive for me. Instead I used particle board that I covered in plastic laminate. I would guess mine would be on the high end of the particle board density, because of the laminate. I went with a 30" drum to give it more mass. Not sure that matters?

To give you an idea of material density: (kilograms per cubic meter}

Pine - 450 kg/cu.m
          pine plywood - 600 kg/cu.m
          particle board/mdf - 650 to 800 kg/cu.m
          rock maple - 1,450 kg/cu.m

There are exotic hardwoods that go much higher, but I don't think you'd want to pay for them.

Hope this helps
          BBob
          Last edited by BaggerBob; 07-15-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
            Translation- utilization of some triangulation adaptation with the anticipation of vibration absorption minimization from your creation into your accommodation providing alleviation to your situation.

That is the recommendation
            Yeah - I should have worked a triangle into the original frame design. The final small diagonal support piece i added (you can *just* barely see it in one of the final pics) sort of give some triangular support but it was an afterthought and it's probably not enough. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by BaggerBob View Post
              You did a nice job. I don't think I'd scrap the frame, if anything replace the drum with a more dense material.

Some of the vibration you are experiencing may be from using pine for your drum. Pine is the least dense of all materials and it may resonate sound vibration the most. I would say your bracket may be fine, it's possible the drum material is your problem. Tap on a piece of pine and listen...now tap on a rock.

I would suggest to anyone building a drum in the future that wishes to save money, look on craigslist in your area for old/used hard maple butcher block tables.

I looked into buying rock maple to make mine and found it to be cost prohibitive for me. Instead I used particle board that I covered in plastic laminate. I would guess mine would be on the high end of the particle board density, because of the laminate.

To give you an idea of material density: (kilograms per cubic meter}

Pine - 450 kg/cu.m
              pine plywood - 600 kg/cu.m
              particle board - 700 to 1,000 kg/cu.m
              rock maple - 1,450 kg/cu.m

There are exotic hardwoods that go much higher, but I don't think you'd want to pay for them.

Hope this helps
              BBob
              Great info, Bob -thanks.

I would love to use some maple but I already priced some recently for a countertop I wanted to build - that's not gonna happen . The beginning of the month is bulk trash pickup in my neighborhood and sometimes people throw out random pieces of furniture that might contain various hardwood. I should really do some looking around and see if I can snag something.

Funny that you mention particle board. One of my other hobbies is building speaker boxes and I use MDF (medium density fiberboard). Very similar to particle board but a bit denser I believe. I used the pine because I thought it would be visually attractive and have sufficient rigidity at the thickness I used, but you could be right - it's just not dense enough. I might have some MDF laying around. Maybe i'll try laminating a bunch of layers to make a new drum and see if that helps. Might take me a little while to get going on that

Comment

• theshedboxer
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Oct 2017

made a platform out of pallet wood

I've been using a poor quality bag out at my shed and decided to build a better platform. I decided on a 3 incheck butcher block platform and use pallet wood for the build. pictures are below. I started with about 11 pallets and cracked them apart to give me about 30 pieces of wood with some imperfections. I rough sanded each after removing the nails. I made a total of 10 rough blocks of glued together "boards" each with four or five wood pieces lined up. each of these boards was then run through the planer to give me 90 degree surfaces. Then I took the shortest through the thickness planer giving me about 2 and 7/8 inches final thickness and I ran the rest through it. I then clamped the full pile together on a planar surface. I was using gorilla brand wood glue which I smeared over every surface before clamping. after 24 hours of clamping the whole surface was ready for the band saw. I used a 1/4 inch band saw and made a single cut 2 foot diameter circle. I finished the circle on a 90 degree disc sander and it was pretty close to perfect in circumference. I used a retry high radius router blade to finish out the top and bottom edges and a belt sander at 300 grit to smooth it out. I built a jig using half of one of the castoff rounds and drilled two long auger holes through the edge and ran a threaded rod through each and tightened it to 25 ft lbs with a torque wrench. I'm finishing it off with some marine urethane clear epoxy. I sort of over engineered my workout she'd to I'm mounting it permanently to an 8 inch beam and I'm going to put some weighted shot bags on top of it. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and hoping the workout crew will like the upgrade.
                Attached Files

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

Very nice first post. Good luck with the project and keep the pics coming!

-Rusty
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• theshedboxer
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Oct 2017

thabks, this forum gave me the inspiraton!

I liked this first build so much and it was so fast (minus the pallet cracking) that I think I'm going to build a second platform about 5 inches thick with the same narrow butcher block pattern. I don't have the first one mounted yet since the epoxy coat is still drying. I can't wait to try it out! I think this could be done by anyone with access to a band saw, planer jointer (doesn't necessarily need to be a thickness planer if you're careful and willing to sand later) and some long clamps.

thesee pics show the clamping of the big platform before the band saw, a "board" going through the thickness planer, and the rough cut after the band saw.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• theshedboxer
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Oct 2017

got it mounted!

It's really solid, quiet and perfect rebounds!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• JoMan
                        • Nov 2016

Wow that looks awesome! So the whole rebound platform is reclaimed pallet wood???

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...