• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mydogsparty
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2018

Need help with Side Double Punch (SDP)

I’m determined to learn how to do this punch before Thanksgiving here in the USA. That’s basically in 3 weeks.

I’ve watched Alan’s video:
    Demonstrating some Double Punch combinations from the Front, Back and Sides for a member of speedbagforum.com

...and I’ve watched Tim’s video:

...but I still can’t figure out what’s going on.

Here’s a little background on me: I’m totally new to speedbagging. I’ve always been curious about it and finally after watching so many video of people like Alan, Matt Santiago, Skunk, Zaza, Mrs. Deville & others I was inspired to purchase my own platform. That all happened on September 1st.

Since then I’ve been going nuts on this bag. I REALLY love it. I can’t get enough. I’ll punch until my hands are bruised. I feel like I’m going to need some kind of AA meeting just to get me to stop. Sometimes I’ll say to myself, let’s go hit for 10 minutes and 2+ hours later I’ll finally come up from the basement. There’s been some days when I’m away from home and I can’t stop thinking about my next “hit”. I’ll start punching the air and hitting in my imagination.

Anyway, the SDP. Can someone break it down in baby steps for me? I’m lost after my front circle punch. I’ve tried using the motion that Alan says in his video with one fist at your chin for the first front circle punch and the other fist extended to hit the side but I can’t hit anything after the initial FCP. Is there a way to slow the whole thing down?
    Last edited by Mydogsparty; 11-01-2018, 10:03 PM.
  • Cazbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

Oh man I had the same problem trying to get that one down as well. It took me a long while maybe a month or 2 of trying to work the heck out of it and then when I got it down I was like how in the hell did you struggle with that. Do you have the front double punch to the reverse double punch down like in the video of Alan? As you come back with the reverse double punch bring the last fist back through at a bit of an angle to the side (hitting it with the thumb of that fist) then after one rebound that fist becomes the lead for the side (striking with the pinky side). See if that maybe can get ya started. Nice and easy and add more rebounds at first. I myself dont do it as diagonal as Alan and company demonstrate never could get comfortable with that and once a committed to more of the straighter 90 degreeish style it got easier.

Comment

• Cazbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2018

If you think it would help I could try doing a demo vid with multiple rebounds in between w/ larger slower bag doing the angled and straighter 90 degree variations? Also my setup is in garage and winter conditions coming on with alot of bagging the ol hands get chapped, cracked, and beat up pretty bad as well. I recently tried some "police search " gloves unlined on Amazon that really help and dont take too much away from the feeling and control.

Comment

• Mydogsparty
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Cazbag View Post
        If you think it would help I could try doing a demo vid with multiple rebounds in between w/ larger slower bag doing the angled and straighter 90 degree variations? Also my setup is in garage and winter conditions coming on with alot of bagging the ol hands get chapped, cracked, and beat up pretty bad as well. I recently tried some "police search " gloves unlined on Amazon that really help and dont take too much away from the feeling and control.
        Caz, thanks for the reply and the offer. I would love to see a video with multiple rebounds in between with a larger slower bag.

Are you the guy using the white counter top as a drum in your garage? If so, I LOVE that setup. It’s so resourceful, the perfect man-cave idea!

To answer your earlier questions. I have the front double punch down pretty well. It’s probably one of my favorite punches right now. (Does that sound like a rookie or what?). The reverse double punch is pretty good. Not as good as the front but I have my moments when I’m gliding from the front of the bag to the back repeatedly and it’s a smooth motion.

I played around with your instructions today and I think I’m starting to mentally understand what needs to be done. But I’m not totally confident. (Perhaps I’m on the verge of creating a new revolutionary style or something) A video would be really helpful so that I can then focus on the muscle memory for a few weeks. If you don’t have time or it’s too cold don’t worry about it. Tomorrow, I’ll be watching my Spartans while plugging away on the bag.

-mydogsparty (My Dog Sparty NOT My Dogs Party)

Comment

• BagBoy
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2018

Dog Sparty, (sorry, I'm not sure how to shorten it) The video you posted of Alan is the same video I used a few months ago when I first started any kind of side hitting and it did the trick. One day not long after watching it just happened and as Caz said it was like how did I ever have trouble with that? I'll happen for you, seriously one day or night it will click and you'll fall asleep thinking about it

Single fist front and back linking was the hard one for me to get consistent. Doing well with it now but it was frustrating. Watching all the videos from other members really helped me also. Picked up something watching Cazs latest entry too. Although I had to drink a pot of black coffee for my eyes to keep up with his hands.

You'll get it down. Keep adding to that bag-skill toolbox.

.and I thought it was "my dogs party"
          Last edited by BagBoy; 11-02-2018, 10:03 PM.
          Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Cazbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2018

Side double punch practice

Hope this helps a tad. If you don't do so already, periodically video yourself to measure your progress as well as for breakdown analysis. Awesome way to see where you could make slight adjustments and what not. Happy bagging dog sparty! Hope you can make your Thanksgiving goal. 2 years ago Thanksgiving is when I put this platform up graduating from the freestanding speed bag/heavy bag earthquake special!
            Ps, I also thought your dog was having a party!

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Nice vid, thanks!
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mydogsparty View Post
                I’m determined to learn how to do this punch before Thanksgiving here in the USA. That’s basically in 3 weeks.

I’ve watched Alan’s video:
                Demonstrating some Double Punch combinations from the Front, Back and Sides for a member of speedbagforum.com

...and I’ve watched Tim’s video:

...but I still can’t figure out what’s going on.

....... I’ll start punching the air and hitting in my imagination.

Anyway, the SDP. Can someone break it down in baby steps for me? I’m lost after my front circle punch. I’ve tried using the motion that Alan says in his video with one fist at your chin for the first front circle punch and the other fist extended to hit the side but I can’t hit anything after the initial FCP. Is there a way to slow the whole thing down?
                Great to know you are Air Punching, that is a good way to practice. Add the bag sounds in your head also as you do this.

After you hit the Front FCP, you "can't hit anything." ?? Are you moving both fists together, the "lead and second" should be moving together, just like Front Double Punch (FDP). The SDP is not TWO individual movements. They fists flow together just like any other double punch.

Hope this helps a tad. If you don't do so already, periodically video yourself to measure your progress as well as for breakdown analysis. Awesome way to see where you could make slight adjustments and what not.

I made a mixed comparison of you (Cazbag) hitting from basically the same angle as I did in my video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7ErYaMX-I

And after examining both, (See Pic below) I would say you tend to stick your lead hand out a bit more to the side of the bag, and your lead fist contacts the side panel of the bag, followed by the second fist into the side. That is they way a lot of people do it and it's not "wrong", it's just another set up position. I personally don't like this set up and prefer to keep my lead fist under my chin hitting the front of the bag, Because the lets me hit the front and pass the lead fist straight through behind the bag for a Reverse Single Punch (RSP). That is a bit harder to do when the lead arm and fist are extended out to the side, positioning the fist to hit the side panel rather than a front panel. Of course you can still move that lead fist to hit the side and move to the reverse position, but I always did it "my" way hitting the lead fist in front of the bag and never liked (or taught) using the "extended position" of moving your lead fist to the side of the bag. To me that tends to create more of a shoulder movement with extended arms to do continuous Side Double Punching (SDP) ' ' (SDP) combinations. That will quickly tire my shoulders and I prefer bring the lead fist back to chin.... but it works the other way, and I see a lot of people doing it.

( in the picture below I "edited out" some back ground distractions in Cazbag video to emphasize the fist and bag positions which were a bit blurred and not clear when freeze framed. notably the sign over the door and wood to side. The Yellow do marks fist-bag contact area, best I could tell )
                Attached Files
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mydogsparty
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Oct 2018

Hope this helps a tad. If you don't do so already, periodically video yourself to measure your progress as well as for breakdown analysis. Awesome way to see where you could make slight adjustments and what not. Happy bagging dog sparty! Hope you can make your Thanksgiving goal. 2 years ago Thanksgiving is when I put this platform up graduating from the freestanding speed bag/heavy bag earthquake special!
                  Ps, I also thought your dog was having a party!
                  Cazbag, I just got online and saw your reply. Thanks so much making that video. I can see the pattern now. It’s 11:20pm here so it’s too late to go downstairs and try this without waking everyone up but I can’t wait for tomorrow! Thanks again.

PS: Some abreviate my username as “MDS” to make it easy and shorter.

Comment

• Cazbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    I made a mixed comparison of you (Cazbag) hitting from basically the same angle as I did in my video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7ErYaMX-I

And after examining both, (See Pic below) I would say you tend to stick your lead hand out a bit more to the side of the bag, and your lead fist contacts the side panel of the bag, followed by the second fist into the side. That is they way a lot of people do it and it's not "wrong", it's just another set up position. I personally don't like this set up and prefer to keep my lead fist under my chin hitting the front of the bag, Because the lets me hit the front and pass the lead fist straight through behind the bag for a Reverse Single Punch (RSP). That is a bit harder to do when the lead arm and fist are extended out to the side, positioning the fist to hit the side panel rather than a front panel. Of course you can still move that lead fist to hit the side and move to the reverse position, but I always did it "my" way hitting the lead fist in front of the bag and never liked (or taught) using the "extended position" of moving your lead fist to the side of the bag. To me that tends to create more of a shoulder movement with extended arms to do continuous Side Double Punching (SDP) ' ' (SDP) combinations. That will quickly tire my shoulders and I prefer bring the lead fist back to chin.... but it works the other way, and I see a lot of people doing it.
                    Ah crap I really didn't put too much of my method at all in this take. The first video attempt I bounced back and forth a lot more doing the elbows down more and the elbows up more styles. My daughter was in garage "helping me" and I got distracted thus making the video really long so rather than edit it I shot another one. She moved on to something more exciting and I forgot to add lil more variations! Any rate thanks for the comparison it is awesome to just be a part of it!

Comment

• Cazbag
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2018

Cazbag, I just got online and saw your reply. Thanks so much making that video. I can see the pattern now. It’s 11:20pm here so it’s too late to go downstairs and try this without waking everyone up but I can’t wait for tomorrow! Thanks again.

PS: Some abreviate my username as “MDS” to make it easy and shorter.
                      Awesome! Hope you get your aw ha moment getting something to build upon! Bag on

Comment

• Mydogsparty
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Oct 2018

This may sound really strange but at 2:45am last night I sat up in bed and started swinging my arms like I finally figured this SDP out. I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to run down stairs and give it a try but I had to get my son off to school in a few hours and then take my wife to the hospital for a routine colonoscopy which she had been prepping for all evening.

Between the time Caz posted his sample and last night, I hadn’t been very successful at the bag. I had been trying but it wasn’t sinking in and I’ve been really struggling. I’ve been going over it constantly in my head though and then suddenly it hit me last night.

When we got home from the hospital, I gave it try. And low and behold, I think I’ve got it or I’m REALLY close.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

This may sound really strange but at 2:45am last night I sat up in bed and started swinging my arms like I finally figured this SDP out. I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to run down stairs and give it a try but I had to get my son off to school in a few hours and then take my wife to the hospital for a routine colonoscopy which she had been prepping for all evening.

Between the time Caz posted his sample and last night, I hadn’t been very successful at the bag. I had been trying but it wasn’t sinking in and I’ve been really struggling. I’ve been going over it constantly in my head though and then suddenly it hit me last night.

When we got home from the hospital, I gave it try. And low and behold, I think I’ve got it or I’m REALLY close.
                          Sounds like DejaVu all over again!... the same thing would happen to me, writing the Speed Bag Bible, I'd be trying to figure out certain combinations or the order to write practice exercises, or some issue that I just could not figure out....and then BAM! that Eureka moment in the middle of the night, maybe from a dream, who knows...but the same thing would happen to me. Sit up in bed and start air punching a sequence and hearing the sounds in my head. I really loved those nights.

On the other hand, the next time your really stuck on something like that, schedule your wife for another routine Colonoscopy. Maybe it's related.

Bag on and looking forward to seeing your SDP ' ' SDP combinations. Once you get those down you can really add some variety to your set and there a lots of variations off them.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SpeedBagginJohnny
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            Sounds like DejaVu all over again!... the same thing would happen to me, writing the Speed Bag Bible, I'd be trying to figure out certain combinations or the order to write practice exercises, or some issue that I just could not figure out....and then BAM! that Eureka moment in the middle of the night, maybe from a dream, who knows...but the same thing would happen to me. Sit up in bed and start air punching a sequence and hearing the sounds in my head. I really loved those nights.

On the other hand, the next time your really stuck on something like that, schedule your wife for another routine Colonoscopy. Maybe it's related.

Bag on and looking forward to seeing your SDP ' ' SDP combinations. Once you get those down you can really add some variety to your set and there a lots of variations off them.

The reason for this is because sleep improves your motor learning skills. When you wake up you are 20-30% better in terms of your skilled performance compared to at the end of your practice session from the day before. This is most likely where the saying "Sleep on it" comes from when having difficulty with a task or skill.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...