• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capt Kylos
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2007

Using the speedbag for cross training

I was wondering if anyone else out there used the speed bag for cross training in any other sports.......besides boxing which is obvious. I used it when I was on the fencing team in college. I found that by using the speed bag to cross train not only did I develop better upper body conditioning and balancing (fencers tend to have one arm that is bigger and stronger than the other) but it helped with blade and point control and gave me a stronger parry and reposte. The speed bag gave me better timing, which in turn gave me better feints and attacks on the fencing strip.
    The speed bag is a great cross training device........it would be intresting to hear if anyone else uses it to cross train.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Capt Kylos View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else out there used the speed bag for cross training in any other sports.......besides boxing which is obvious. I used it when I was on the fencing team in college. I found that by using the speed bag to cross train not only did I develop better upper body conditioning and balancing (fencers tend to have one arm that is bigger and stronger than the other) but it helped with blade and point control and gave me a stronger parry and reposte. The speed bag gave me better timing, which in turn gave me better feints and attacks on the fencing strip.
    The speed bag is a great cross training device........it would be intresting to hear if anyone else uses it to cross train.
    When I was in Atlanta during the 1996 Olympics, Several of the athletes on the USA Volleyball team said they used the speed bag for training, (helping to keep their hands up, as well as timing) and a few members of the Baylor University team use it also for the same reason. I have also met several members of the USA Paraolympic team I at several rehabilitation conferences and they also like it as an adjunct to their training.

Personally, I think it helped me in Racquetball, giving me quicker hands at the front line and being able to pick off the ball a bit quicker. And I think it also would be beneficial to anyone who plays a sport with a fast moving ball, having to put your hand(s) quickly to a point in space to catch it, hit it etc.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

i think its helped me alot with baseball by helping me with my timing and the hand eye coordination aspect. it helped wit hitting, throwing/pitching and catching so all in all the speed bag does help improve your baseball game.
      ________
      Milana cam
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• alfred
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2008

cross training

don't laugh, i'm hoping it will help me with my table tennis game. alfred

Comment

• dax_q
          • Jan 2008

I use it for tennis. It obviously gives me quicker hands and it has helped with my shoulder.
          Dax

Comment

• alfred
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2008

crosstraing

great dax, i run out of energy, and i'm the slowest player out there. never punched a bag but i'm going to give it a good try. Alfred

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...