• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimJo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2008

New speed bag stand not so good

I just got a new speed bag stand that is a part of the everlast heavy bag stand and it was kind of flimsy so i put a sand bag on the top and it was better, but whenever i hit the speed bag and get to the rhythm, and i start to pick up some speed, it just messes up and spins off to the side.

Could it be the speed bag? Because i just got a new bladder for it and it doesn't look perfectly circular or could it be the swivel? I have the swivel which has a ball inside. Should i get a smaller speed bag? I'm still a beginner also. Please give me some input its frustrating when trying to practice.
  • dbirdmma
    • Jan 2008

hmm i video would help alot. i think i've hit off the same stand your talking about and although it does vibrate alot it still works. i swivel should be ok. what type of bag are you using? also remember learning how to be a great speed bagger takes time. the faster you go the harder it will be to control the bag.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Video would help.

The freestanding units tend to have a lot of board movement, not just vibration of the board, but back and forth swaying

This will limit the speed at which you can hit and generally makes things more challenging

HOWEVER, you can improve greatly just by practicing. Take a look at some of my older videos. Notice how much the board is moving, but I was still able to make great progress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kLosNq0Y0g
      Some speed bag moves, plus some hazards of the speed bag (be sure to watch all the way to the end).

More Speed Bag... specifically, F-ROLL FDP RSP and a triple O-DES all rolled up into a sequence

My guess is that if you are new to the speed bag, you simply need more practice. Keep at it and let us know how it goes.

Focus on control of the bag. Then the speed will come

Comment

• JimJo
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2008

dbirdmma, i have a everlast speed bag that is about medium-large size i don't know the exact size but it is not small. Do you think since i just got a new bladder for it, it will be better when it gets worn in?

Tim, thanks for your input, my stand is just like your one on your old videos. It doesn't vibrate as much from the sand bag, but shakes a little from the frame. You are probably right though, i probably need more practice to get a handle on it.
        May i ask what kind of speed bag you were using on your old videos you posted? It seems to bounce much better than what i have right now.

Comment

• dbirdmma
          • Jan 2008

well everlast speed bags do tend to have a little of an odd shape too them. i have an everlast speed bag also and its a kinda weird shape. it should be fine with the new bladder. but its shape will probally become lesss lopsided the more you hit it. that happened with my bag too. i have also read on this site that its happened to other people also. so the shape will come. but as tim said dont get discouraged and keep practicing. good luck

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by JimJo View Post
            Tim, thanks for your input, my stand is just like your one on your old videos. It doesn't vibrate as much from the sand bag, but shakes a little from the frame. You are probably right though, i probably need more practice to get a handle on it.
            May i ask what kind of speed bag you were using on your old videos you posted? It seems to bounce much better than what i have right now.
            The yellow bag is a Title 8x5. Great bag. Nice soft leather, so you can punch without wraps or gloves, rebounds great, durable (I'm still punching that same bag) and it's cheap. Highly recommended.

With a freestanding unit you may find that using a smaller bag will reduce the momentum and keep the motion down to a minimum. I never even bothered with 10x7 bags on that stand

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...