• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2speedbags
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2008

Too Much Vibration

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this site. Alan and Skunk, your the best I've ever seeen. I especially like the mortal combat videow! I have a question for you guys. I have one speed bag platform setup in the garage that gets most of the work. Due to the extreme cold conditions where I live, I cannot workout on the bag in the winter months in the garage. I just added a second speed bag platform in my bedroom, the cheap one that everlast makes. The problem is that the vibration from the rebound of the bag is knocking things off the walls in the room opposite the speed bag. How can I minimize the vibration and save the house??

Thanks,

Dan
  • JasonDMX2
    • Feb 2008

You can observe and see if the vibration is coming from the brackets holding the platform (flexing/rebounding) or the actual mounting point to the wall.

You can add weigh to the top of your platform to act as a harmonic damper, but that's really just a band-aid

If you notice the flexing coming from the brackets of the platform you could add reinforcements via welding, or pipe clamps.

If the flexing is coming from the wall itself make sure the screws/lag bolts holding the brackets to the wall are extra beefy and deep enough into the studs. Small screws (drywall screws) aren't enough to handle the vibration.

If you mostly see vibration from the wall itself that's a bit of a tougher problem. Some people will run two 2x4's or a 4x4 across two studs to gain some rigidity and then mount in the center.

First thing I would do is just make sure everything is tight, and put some weight on top of the board. (More mass on board > than forces of inertia of bag) of course you can only cancel out some of that with a reasonable amount of weight.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JasonDMX2 View Post
      You can observe and see if the vibration is coming from the brackets holding the platform (flexing/rebounding) or the actual mounting point to the wall.

You can add weigh to the top of your platform to act as a harmonic damper, but that's really just a band-aid

If you notice the flexing coming from the brackets of the platform you could add reinforcements via welding, or pipe clamps.

If the flexing is coming from the wall itself make sure the screws/lag bolts holding the brackets to the wall are extra beefy and deep enough into the studs. Small screws (drywall screws) aren't enough to handle the vibration.

If you mostly see vibration from the wall itself that's a bit of a tougher problem. Some people will run two 2x4's or a 4x4 across two studs to gain some rigidity and then mount in the center.

First thing I would do is just make sure everything is tight, and put some weight on top of the board. (More mass on board > than forces of inertia of bag) of course you can only cancel out some of that with a reasonable amount of weight.

Agreed on the 2x4 framing crossing studs for speed bag attachment, for this weakens and spreads out the vibration. My indoor unit is on a bedroom wall, and the wall just behind in the other bedroom is purposely bare. We use to have pictures on it, etc. but they kept falling down also. The quick fix was to take them down everytime I trained, but that was a pain, so now that wall is bare. It's just easier that way, and the room is fairly uninhabitable when I'm punching, for it's a standard hollow sheetrock wall with wood studs. It rumbles a bit, particularly when the music is cranked up for a punch drumming. I'm just not sure how that could be completely stopped.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by 2speedbags View Post
        The problem is that the vibration from the rebound of the bag is knocking things off the walls in the room opposite the speed bag. How can I minimize the vibration and save the house??
        This is why my wife forbade another wall mounted unit...

I'll agree to everything already mentioned, plus, use a SMALLER, LIGHTER speed bag.

A Top Contender 7x4 (4 oz) has significantly less force and vibration than a 10x7 bag (usually 8oz)

Granted, you don't need to go that extremely small, even a 9x6 or and 8x5 will make a difference. The Title Classic 8x5 is a very lightweight 8x5 for example.
        Last edited by Tim; 02-14-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• 2speedbags
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2008

Thanks

Thanks guys. I can't afford to break anymore items in the next room. I'll try the wood braces that Alan has pictures of and I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

not much more

i cant really say much more then everyone has said. but good luck and make sure you practice practice practice!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...