New to the speed bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the speed bag

Hey guys, I am new to this forum, and to using the speed bag. I have had my set up for a while, about three years, it is a TKO package that came with everything, platform, 10 x 7 bag, and swivel. Up until now i have hardly used it, and when i did it was just hit it as fast as i could, mainly because i had no idea that there we all these different sequences! My question is, I am able to get a pretty good rythme going, but I can't seem to get it going any faster. It is not that i can move quick enough, it seems as if the bag will just not move fast enough. I will speed up, but the bag does not, which ends up messing up the rythme. Could it be just the fact that it is just a crappy bag in this combo package? I was looking at a new one, maybe the rival 9 x 6, I have read nothing but good things about it on this forum. Or, could i not have enough air in the bag? Any suggestions would be helpful. ONe last thing, what is the difference between classic handwraps and mexican style handwraps? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM.
  • dbirdmma
    • Jan 2008

welcome glad to here you have began to speed bag my advice to you is practice practice practice as the speed bag king has said learn to control the bag speed will come once u have a great technique the speed follows as for your bag you may need a better 1 the rival bag you said would be a great choice. also post a video if you could for more help. good luck!

Comment

• dbirdmma
      • Jan 2008

o and about your handwrap question mexican style wrap is a little more elastic while classic has more protection to your fist. its all presonal prefference. i use mexican style wrap. and concerning to the amount of air in your speed bag more air means faster usually dont over pump it though or you'll pop the bladder...

Comment

• Monkeyboxer15
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2008

In Tims video runnin the rack on youtube the smaller the bags the faster they were going.
        Also my problem when I go really fast i start to hit with more of my hand instead of just the knuckle of the pinky.
        In wich I practiced and got rid of that so now I go faster longer
        Hope this helps.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by Monkeyboxer15; 02-10-2008, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MDUNN911 View Post
          Hey guys, I am new to this forum, and to using the speed bag. I have had my set up for a while, about three years, it is a TKO package that came with everything, platform, 10 x 7 bag, and swivel.
          I've never used any of the TKO stuff. Hard to say if there might be something wrong with the bag.

Is that a wall mount or free standing platform? Is it securely fastened? Do you put extra weight on top of the platform? Too much vibration in the board can kill the rebounds of the bag. Is the swivel securely fastened to the board? A loose swivel will also kill the rebounds.

10x7 is a pretty big bag, it's not going to move like a smaller bag. If you move down a size it will be easier to get the bag moving faster. 9x6 or 8x5 are good sizes to progress to. You can always put the 10x7 bag back on for "power" workouts.

My question is, I am able to get a pretty good rythme going, but I can't seem to get it going any faster. It is not that i can move quick enough, it seems as if the bag will just not move fast enough. I will speed up, but the bag does not, which ends up messing up the rythme.
          Any chance you can post some video? Seeing what you're doing and how the platform and bag react is great for troubleshooting.

Are you minimizing your hand and arm motion? Take for example the FCP (Front Circle Punch) where you pump your fist in a circular motion. You should be making a very small circle with your fist, that will allow you to hit the bag more quickly and make it go faster. If your transitioning from left to right to left, make sure you're not dropping your elbows or fists down to your waist ... keep your elbows up , even on the non-punching hand.

Honestly though, without seeing your technique, it's kind of like shooting in the dark.

Or, could i not have enough air in the bag? Any suggestions would be helpful.
          Doesn't hurt to try. Put some more air in and hit it awhile. It should be apparent pretty quickly whether or not it helped. Note that if it hurts your hand to hit the bag, it's TOO MUCH air.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums. If you want advice on the speed bag, you've come to the right place
          Last edited by Tim; 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Jumpy
            • Feb 2008

Hey Mdunn911. I just joind recently also. Since I'm new to the game I don't have any advice for ya yet. Never the less, welcome.

-Jumpy

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. I just ordered a rival 8 x 5. I will try taking a video of me doing it. At this point i don't have access to a camera but once i do ill post it. IN the mean time I will try weighing it down. Tim, to answer your questions, it is wall mounted, and as secure as it could be with the bolt holes provided. I guess i could drill some more, but i don't think it will make much of a difference, it does not shake to much, the extra weight should solve that problem.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MDUNN911 View Post
                thanks for the advice guys. I just ordered a rival 8 x 5. I will try taking a video of me doing it. At this point i don't have access to a camera but once i do ill post it. IN the mean time I will try weighing it down. Tim, to answer your questions, it is wall mounted, and as secure as it could be with the bolt holes provided. I guess i could drill some more, but i don't think it will make much of a difference, it does not shake to much, the extra weight should solve that problem.
                The Rival Bag should make a noticeable difference. I did hit one at Tim's place and it's a sweet bag. I am not a fan of the TKO bags, do to their bottom bulging shape. And, I don't own one, but have tried them several times at sporting goods shows. eeuughh. I did speak to a rep about it a few years ago at their booth in the Orlando superhow, but I got the distinct feeling of "not now...., we're busy".

I imagine the quality of their production is OK, and perhaps the product holds up over time, but I don't like the shape, and there are way too many nice bags available at reasonable prices to suffer through with a lousy bag.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  The Rival Bag should make a noticeable difference. I did hit one at Tim's place and it's a sweet bag. I am not a fan of the TKO bags, do to their bottom bulging shape. And, I don't own one, but have tried them several times at sporting goods shows. eeuughh. I did speak to a rep about it a few years ago at their booth in the Orlando superhow, but I got the distinct feeling of "not now...., we're busy".

I imagine the quality of their production is OK, and perhaps the product holds up over time, but I don't like the shape, and there are way too many nice bags available at reasonable prices to suffer through with a lousy bag.
                  Your right the bag will deffinatly last forever, but its not the best for actually hitting. the outside is five sections sewn together, and the seams stick out. After at least ten minutes of hitting the bag it gets quite irritating. The bag is still in the mail, but i will let you guys know as soon I get it how it works out.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...