• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Easy Living double punching workout!

Another video to contribute to our Speed Bag Archives. Some of you forum members are in this video's credits for your inspiration! Thanks for all the video's and positive comments posted from all of you on the forum! Keep posting video's and Keep on Baggin!

Novaspeedbagger
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Great job. That song does have a nice bounce beat feel and punches nicely with repetitive double punch combinations. A very pleasant (and pretty easy) addition to a "bounce beat" song is Front Fist Rolling F-Roll. Fist Rolling and Double Punches fit great, particularly because the first two punches of a F-Roll are really a double punch and the last two punches of the fist roll are a double punch, so the da-DA accent of the double will be established at the beginning and end end of the roll. For instance if you do a F-Roll x14 (one full measure of 4 beats in this song) and pass straight to the Reverse Double Punch your will stay right on the double beat pattern.

the last punch of the F-Roll (x14) ... ' ' L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R will be on the "1" beat of the next measure.
    look at punch 13-14 = L-R ' '....this is the double punch at the end of the F-Roll and both fists pass through to the RDP. ( don't try and count it. Just feel it. as written your right fist will land "on" the beat.) It is easy to forget that the lead fist of this combination is also the first punch of the roll, but since it doesn't land ON the exact beat it is easy to forget and concentrate on the main "Right" fist contact. there again, go by "feel". You certainly have the rhythm sense to know where you are in relation to the beat or tempo.

ps: it works just as easily off a 8-punch fist roll also.

Hey Nova, to work a little fist control, try rotating the fists of either a Front Double Punch or Reverse Double Punch occassionally. This will help you get more comfortable doing repetitive double punching with either fist leading, as well as help your change hand positions quickly within a combination, which is needed to add in some elbow variations later.

Last edited by Speedbag; 10-15-2010, 12:52 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fingers
      Speed Bag Guru
      • May 2008

Another great video Nova!! you really are flying, masive improvments all round!! you are leaving me standing!! thanks for the mention my friend!
      Last edited by fingers; 10-15-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

2:30 of elbows up, double punching!!! That has to be some burn; I'll have to give that a try tonight. Another nice job, Kerry. I don't remember seeing a mis-hit.

You're really getting into this!

Comment

• jumpcannon
          Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Dang bro! Nice work! My next challenge is figuring out side punching. Got any pointers?
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2010

I'll give it a go Alan!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Great job. That song does have a nice bounce beat feel and punches nicely with repetitive double punch combinations. A very pleasant (and pretty easy) addition to a "bounce beat" song is Front Fist Rolling F-Roll. Fist Rolling and Double Punches fit great, particularly because the first two punches of a F-Roll are really a double punch and the last two punches of the fist roll are a double punch, so the da-DA accent of the double will be established at the beginning and end end of the roll. For instance if you do a F-Roll x14 (one full measure of 4 beats in this song) and pass straight to the Reverse Double Punch your will stay right on the double beat pattern.

the last punch of the F-Roll (x14) ... ' ' L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R will be on the "1" beat of the next measure.
            look at punch 13-14 = L-R ' '....this is the double punch at the end of the F-Roll and both fists pass through to the RDP. ( don't try and count it. Just feel it. as written your right fist will land "on" the beat.) It is easy to forget that the lead fist of this combination is also the first punch of the roll, but since it doesn't land ON the exact beat it is easy to forget and concentrate on the main "Right" fist contact. there again, go by "feel". You certainly have the rhythm sense to know where you are in relation to the beat or tempo.

ps: it works just as easily off a 8-punch fist roll also.

Hey Nova, to work a little fist control, try rotating the fists of either a Front Double Punch or Reverse Double Punch occassionally. This will help you get more comfortable doing repetitive double punching with either fist leading, as well as help your change hand positions quickly within a combination, which is needed to add in some elbow variations later.

Thanks Alan! I will definitely take any advice you give. Your DVD and book have helped me a ton already. I'm probably trying too much to fast but that's sorta my style. I love hitting the speed bag so much, that I have to force myself to stop and study as well. I do rotate the fist when the pace is a bit slower but that song was a real speed challenge for me. One principle I follow in any endeavor I set out on, is to practice making my weaknesses strengths. So, I will heed your advice.

I'm gonna print out your fist rolling advice so I can have it to refer to when I give it a go.

Thanks for watching the video and critiquing it!
            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2010

Forum Baggers Inspire!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              2:30 of elbows up, double punching!!! That has to be some burn; I'll have to give that a try tonight.

It is a great work out, however, as Alan was pointing out it's important to be able to be more comfortable. But, I still love the workout. I think you'll will too.

Another nice job, Kerry. I don't remember seeing a mis-hit.

I use some of the titles to distract from the mis-hits Bif. I'm not trying to hide the mistakes as much as I don't want viewers to have to suffer through watching my blunders. But, I do think that leaving in the mistakes encourages others to post videos. None of us are perfect, we're just trying to improve the skills of an activity that we're pretty pumped about! So why not just let it Fly!

You're really getting into this!
              Just like I mentioned in the Credits.....Forum baggers like yourself have helped inspire me! The Speed Bag Forum is one cool domain to dwell in! Some times an activity is just so so......Until you get with the right people......Then, they push you to excel! That's what this Forum does for me.

Thanks for postin your stuff Bif!
              Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling
              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2010

I recommend AK's SBB and "The Quest of Speed Bag Sparky"!

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                Dang bro! Nice work! My next challenge is figuring out side punching. Got any pointers?
                If you don't have Alan's Speed Bag Bible and DVD, that's a good start! http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1479

Before I received it and even now I just watched youtube videos and the videos posted here on the forum. Then, I just copy the technique I see. Alan's DVD also uses slow-motion to clearly illustrated all the basic fundamental techniques that are critical to master in order to continue combining techniques already learned to create new combinations.

Also, Speedbagskunk and Sparky made a video call "The Quest of Speed Bag Sparky". It's posted on youtube, and although it is supposed to be funny, I learned how to side punch at first, because of that video. You'll like it if you haven't seen it yet. If you've already viewed it, go back and check out Sparky's side punching practice! I'm laughing just thinking about that vid!
                Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

Thanks fingers!

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                  Another great video Nova!! you really are flying, masive improvments all round!! you are leaving me standing!! thanks for the mention my friend!

Thanks for watching my vids, posting your stuff and all the positive support you give on the forum! Keep on postin! Keep on Baggin!
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• jumpcannon
                    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

yea i got the bible from alan. I just started reading up on the exercises for side punching. I like the book alot
                    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Novabagger, thanks for giving credit for inspiration but we must flip it around and give you credit for it. Your form and control are great, steady, arms up and rock solid. Inspiration to all of us to keep at it and try harder. You may try using black text cometary over the video to make it easier to read, the lighter white is harder to read over a light background. You're in the groove, keep the productions coming.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2010

Got something coming soon! Thanks for watching!
                        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great stuff... good power and stamina and rhythm!!
                          BAG ON!!

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Aug 2010

Thanks Brian!
                            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

Very nice! I'm at work and watching with the sound very low,!but from what I can hear you're keeping the beat nicely. Got some serious endurance in them arms brotha!
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...