• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Some Combos, with Slo-Mo

These are some of the Combos i used in the Jazz Fusion Video i just Posted.
    I have not mastered any of these Combos Yet, not even Close, but i thought i would share them Just the same.

With all three of these Combos i have added Two Punches to what were just basic Rotation Combos that i have been Doing for months. These two strikes i have been calling "Back Strokes" which is just hitting the bag toward yourself twice before restarting the Rotation. I'm not sure what these "Back Strokes" are actually called, if anything. I think Alan can help me out here and tell me what this is. i have no idea, i don't really know what the hell i'm doing. i just slap this bag around, and kinda call the moves something it reminds me of, so i can recall it in my own mind.

So, With all these combos be it Video 1, 2, or 3, The first strike of the combo (the 1 count) is the Phantom Punch under the Elbow.

With Videos 1, and 2, Which are 5 Count Combos. The "Back Strokes" are Counts 4, and 5.

With Video 3, Which is a 9 Count Combo The "Back Strokes" are Counts 8, and 9.

The reason i'm giving the info about what strike lands on what Count is as follows:

For me i find it easier to know what strike lands on what count, so i can 1: count the combo out. and 2: if the combo is a Rotation type Combo, or if i want to repeat it, i know when it starts all over, and i'm at the first punch of the Combo again. So i always number every strike, of every combo i write down.

Enjoy.

Video 1 Five Count Half Rotation Left Side with Back Strokes

Video 2 Five Count Half Rotation Right Side with Back Strokes

Video 3 Nine Count Full Rotation with Back Strokes

Video 4 Pooler Elbow Rotation with Backhand Trap

Video 5 Fist Roll+Multi Phantoms Right Side

Video 6 Downward DB Elbow+Fist Roll+Multi Under Phantoms+Bag Trap
    I added the Downward Double Bump Elbow to this video (Video six), and Video seven.

Video 7 Downward DB Elbow+Fist Roll with Rewind+Multi Under Phantoms+Bag Trap
    The Rewind on the Fist Roll is the Only real difference between this Video, and Video Six. But the Rewind is a nice looking little Variation.

Video 8 Fist Roll+Bag Trap

Video 9 Double Bump Elbow Rotations

Video 10 Over Under Phantom Roll+Bag Trap

Video 11 OES Rotation with Over Under Phantom Strikes

Video 12 Elbow Rotation Right to Left with Touch Spin

Thank You For Watching.
    Last edited by ebozyn; 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM.
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Great Stuff!

Thanks for the Slow mo E! No doubt this will help me to pick up these combo's with more clarity. I'm sure I speak for others as well
    Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 11-28-2011, 05:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

You're Very Welcome Nova. Yeah, the Slo-Mo Helps me alot too. I slowed this down to 20% Normal Speed. It makes it nice for Counting each strike out. And to see exactly what's going on every step of the way.

Thanks for Checking Out the Videos Man.

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
      Thanks for the Slow mo E! No doubt this will help me to pick up these combo's with more clarity. I'm sure I speak for other as well

Comment

• luke
        • Aug 2011

simply AWESOME! everyone is too busy trying to look fast that they forget half of us need a slower visual aid when learning! thanks a million for taking the time to post these gems!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by luke View Post
          simply AWESOME! everyone is too busy trying to look fast that they forget half of us need a slower visual aid when learning! thanks a million for taking the time to post these gems!
          Search for control. Control is the older brother of speed, and he'll show up later - you won't have to look for him.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

I love these videos, post as many as you want. I watch them all.

Comment

• ebozyn
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2010

Thank You luke, and you're welcome.

Originally posted by luke View Post

Comment

• ebozyn
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2010

I will have to shoot a few more of these. I just have to figure out which Combos are Video worthy. Some of the really fun ones and a few of the difficult ones.
                Sometimes the difficult ones are the fun ones i guess.

Thank You for checking out the Videos.

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                I love these videos, post as many as you want. I watch them all.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

Nice addition to your original post Ebo!

Great video of your pretty much patented moves! The slo-mo offers an excellent view of how you do your thing. I have been attempting your combo's to music but it takes a while to get comfortable enough with them to flow as natural as the basic punch drumming combo's like the 5-1, 3-3, and now the 4-3xfist roll change sides that Alan just explain in another post. But as time goes on I'll master them to music. It's really challenging to attempt these combo's on smaller bags while trying to keep the rhythm of a song but that what I like to do. Video 9-Double Bump Elbow Rotations seems like the most feasible one for me to try to music however I may be seriously challenged to pull it off to music on the smaller bags that I punch drum with. I still try them anyway when I hit to music.

The last vid I posted (Spill the Wine) included some elbow rotations and 4 way elbows. I have also been working in combining the two by starting with the elbow rotations and seamlessly flowing straight into the phantom 4 way elbow linking it all back into the basic punch drumming combo's i.e. the 5-1 etc.

Since Speed Bag II which I entered into with very limited punch drumming combos, experiencing these new combo's have truly inspired me to express myself to music via the speed bag in ways that I have never imagined until recently!

So, thanks for the vids and the Slo-mo footage that is of extremely high quality! Nice work!
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• ebozyn
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2010

Thank You Nova, For checking out the Videos.

It's nice to know that the Slo-Mo is helpful for people, as it is for me when i'm learning some stuff from videos you guys post.(i have to Slo-Mo it in a player like most do). Not that i Bag fast, hehe which i don't. But it seems no matter how slow a person is bagging, for some combos it's not slow enough to pick up every detail.

Thanks again for watching.

Great video of your pretty much patented moves! The slo-mo offers an excellent view of how you do your thing. I have been attempting your combo's to music but it takes a while to get comfortable enough with them to flow as natural as the basic punch drumming combo's like the 5-1, 3-3, and now the 4-3xfist roll change sides that Alan just explain in another post. But as time goes on I'll master them to music. It's really challenging to attempt these combo's on smaller bags while trying to keep the rhythm of a song but that what I like to do. Video 9-Double Bump Elbow Rotations seems like the most feasible one for me to try to music however I may be seriously challenged to pull it off to music on the smaller bags that I punch drum with. I still try them anyway when I hit to music.

The last vid I posted (Spill the Wine) included some elbow rotations and 4 way elbows. I have also been working in combining the two by starting with the elbow rotations and seamlessly flowing straight into the phantom 4 way elbow linking it all back into the basic punch drumming combo's i.e. the 5-1 etc.

Since Speed Bag II which I entered into with very limited punch drumming combos, experiencing these new combo's have truly inspired me to express myself to music via the speed bag in ways that I have never imagined until recently!

So, thanks for the vids and the Slo-mo footage that is of extremely high quality! Nice work!
                    Last edited by ebozyn; 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Nova, (I know you know this) Let the accent sound pattern of these combo's be your guide as to their functionality in punch drumming. It is not about doing a fancy or complicated combo in any particular song, it's about making the accent patterns of that combo fit in sync to the beat and not throwing you off beat. Many of these combos are single rebound patterns and various accents may occur with them. Don't forget that Song speed and Bag size are interchangeable and you can always change bag size up or down to make it easier or more challenging to punch to a particular song.

All of these are amazing, impressive and (for me) solidify the need to be able to write these down in some reliable format so you can review them over and over under the board. I like to air punch combo's that I'm trying to learn and often write down everything to have it with me. I guess mobile video devices will eventually eliminate the need for books for learning motion based activities, and audio books and magazines will slowly eliminate the need to read. (has for my wife. She's completely gone over to audio books)
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 12-11-2011, 02:21 PM.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• josephl
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Dec 2010

Some questions

OK, love the combinations and slow motion, but I don't seem to be able to get the under elbow pattern. When my elbow comes back I have to move it too high for the opposite fist to go under. I'm using an Everlast 5x8 kangaroo. Since the videos are fairly tight, I can't see how low you have the bag and how much body rotation you're using. Perhaps a larger bag, too?

Comment

• ebozyn
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by josephl View Post
                          OK, love the combinations and slow motion, but I don't seem to be able to get the under elbow pattern. When my elbow comes back I have to move it too high for the opposite fist to go under. I'm using an Everlast 5x8 kangaroo. Since the videos are fairly tight, I can't see how low you have the bag and how much body rotation you're using. Perhaps a larger bag, too?

A few notes about my set up. My board is very low. In fact when i stand under the board, the top of my head is about an inch away from the board. You don't need to have it this low. But for me i wouldn't have the top of my head any more than two inches from the board. The more involved the Moves and Combos are, they seem to be easier for me when i'm closer to the board. When you're closer you don't have to move as much to pull some of these Combos off. It's an economy of motion. I have found that being closer to the board, i have less stress, and injuries to my back, and shoulders.

My bags are semi firm. They have a tiny bit of squish to them, they kind of squeeze like a firm Nerf ball. I find that there is a "happy medium". If the bags are too flat they don't bounce well, and if they're too firm they also don't bounce very well. Everyone finds the air pressure they feel comfortable with sooner or later.

If you have a 6x9 bag i would suggest using that bag at least at first, when practicing something like the "Over n Under Phantoms" or any other advanced Moves or Combos. The larger bag will allow you more time feel these moves out, and why make it more difficult than it has to be. If you don't have a 6x9, i would suggest letting a tiny bit of air out of your 5x8 kangaroo, just enough to slow it down a bit (this is a trick i learned from Alan, and Skunk. it works quite well)

As for body rotation, At first i noticed that i used a lot more rotation (twisting to align my body and arms up for comfort, and ease of movement). I think my body was exaggerating the movements because these moves are very uncomfortable at first. Just do what ever feels the most comfortable for you at the moment, and things will fall into place later.

Below i have added a video that i made on 11-5-2011, that kind of explains some of what is going on with this Combo, and how i practice these Over n Under Phantom Strikes.

I hope this helps a little bit.
                          Thanks for checking out the Videos.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by ebozyn; 12-18-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• josephl
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Dec 2010

Some Questions

Thank you for the reply. This is just the information I needed and will get back to practicing. The video is really helpful and I'll try using the larger bag. Again, your videos are just great.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...