• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Old Everlast Bags Arrived

Got these on ebay. A 6" 4200 and a larger 7, maybe 8" 4202 both in obviously used condition but I've installed title bladders in each of them and they function as they should. I've included a picture of the pieces of the bladder that were inside the 4200. I had no idea that a speed bag bladder could dissolve into flakes over time. I'm guessing that's what happened.
    Attached Files
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Not that unusual, the red plastic bladders had several issues with them, I've seen a couple that did this, but mostly they suffered from seam failures. The disintegration appears to have been the result from less than ideal storage conditions.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
      Got these on ebay. A 6" 4200 and a larger 7, maybe 8" 4202 both in obviously used condition but I've installed title bladders in each of them and they function as they should. I've included a picture of the pieces of the bladder that were inside the 4200. I had no idea that a speed bag bladder could dissolve into flakes over time. I'm guessing that's what happened.
      Lots of memories of those sealed plastic bladders. I fixed and replaced my share. I'm glad technology moved on....
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Lots of memories of those sealed plastic bladders. I fixed and replaced my share. I'm glad technology moved on....
        When those plastic bladders worked they worked very well, super light weight. I don't think we've yet seen technology that has moved on, just pretty good old technology from Title. I just replaced the bladder in Big Blue and the Title bladder failed by the next morning.

The better mousetrap bladder hasn't been made yet but Everlast was at least trying something. Just the wrong something. Let's make bladders great again and bring home speed bag manufacturing designed for people who bag by people. who bag.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          Let's make bladders great again and bring home speed bag manufacturing designed for people who bag by people. who bag.
          That would be nice, but I doubt anything like that will happen. Probably just get worse and worse until China bags are deemed higher quality.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
            That would be nice, but I doubt anything like that will happen. Probably just get worse and worse until China bags are deemed higher quality.
            I'd love to convince Title to take one of my 4205 bags and dismantle it and duplicate it. It's a far better design than their big blue bag. Get the leather thickness and the measurements and the construction methods copied as close to exactly as possible. The world needs a great old school big bag. Whether it's made in China or Wichita I'll leave up to them.

Comment

• BagBoy
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2018

The 4200 (the smaller bag) has some heavy wear on some of the seams, I know I can't undo that but I'll try to take some steps to prolong its usefulness. Any pointers on caring for such an old used bag? I really like hitting on it, can't stop. Off work for a few days so I'm going to get to know this bag really well.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

My 2 cents would be just put some mink oil on it, get it down into the seams to protect the threads. Not much else worth doing, imo. They come up pretty frequently on eBay. I scored one for a very low price. Also, every 4200 seems to be a little diff, and construction materials vary by year.

I actually like one of my kidskin 4202's more than the 4200. But only one of them. The other one not so much. Go figure.

Here is an idea for someone to invent a better bladder. Make a polymer that gets stronger the more it stretches. The more you inflate it, the more pressure it takes to expand it further. It would be like the invention of steal-belted radial tires, a quantum leap over standard tires.

Maybe there is such a material already?
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Thanks for the mink oil tip Rusty.
                  Attached Files

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the mink oil tip Rusty.
                    That is a great bag. The 4200 9x6 was my favorite bag for about 20 years. The "original" version had leather welting and later change to that red plastic. I beat a bunch of that welting flat and had a bag seams stitched at shoe shops in Memphis to keep them together. They just worked and really held up under hard beating from lots of people. At the time, I did not like the smaller 4204 8x5, thinking it was "too light".
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag Man
                      • Jan 2011

The 4200 (the smaller bag) has some heavy wear on some of the seams, I know I can't undo that but I'll try to take some steps to prolong its usefulness. Any pointers on caring for such an old used bag? I really like hitting on it, can't stop. Off work for a few days so I'm going to get to know this bag really well.
                      I have one of these. Might be the plastic welt version, not sure. One of the panels basically wore off. I cut the leather out about half way up and Gorilla glued down what was left. The bag hits just as well on the bare nylon as it did on the leather. Go figure. Not pretty to look at though.

Steve
                      "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Can anyone post a pic of the kidskin 4200 with LEATHER welted seams?
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                          The better mousetrap bladder hasn't been made yet but Everlast was at least trying something. Just the wrong something. Let's make bladders great again and bring home speed bag manufacturing designed for people who bag by people. who bag.
                          I think Enkay already built the better mousetrap with their orange latex bladders. If you read through the patent (for which they are still under), there is a hell of a lot of technology that went into it. The inventors were well aware of what makes a good speed bag bladder, and the trade-offs involved between latex, butyl, and plastic.

A bladder shell for inflatable balls having at least a pair of layers of compounded synthetic latex and compounded natural rubber latex or at least a layer of blended synthetic latex and natural rubber latex compounded with anti-oxidant, activators, accelerators, thickening and wetting agents, stabilizers etc. to form a low air permeability and high bounce bladder shell having thickness of between 0.25 mm to 3.0 mm. The present invention also defines a process for the preparation of the bladder shell comprising formation of at least a layer of natural rubber latex and a synthetic latex each. The process of the present invention comprises dipping the former in not only a natural rubber latex bath but also in the synthetic latex bath. In an another embodiment, the process comprises dipping the former in the bath comprising blended natural rubber latex and synthetic latex.
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                            I think Enkay already built the better mousetrap with their orange latex bladders. If you read through the patent (for which they are still under), there is a hell of a lot of technology that went into it. The inventors were well aware of what makes a good speed bag bladder, and the trade-offs involved between latex, butyl, and plastic.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US.../en?oq=6544608
                            That's interesting. Enkay are good bladders, Title would do well to use them as original equipment. The Everlast plastic bladder did give good bounce as I recall, but failed too often on initial inflation. If you got a good one they worked pretty well if my memory isn't faulty.

Comment

• jaja6009
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2016

Awesome you got some old school kidskin bags. RDShack got me into the older bags. And I also love hitting the 4200 bag, but not too much as it still has a working plastic bladder in it and I always worry about it when I add air.

The Everlast leather from back in the day is great. I have a 4213 military and that leather is absolutely awesome. since the bag is basically unused. Today's Everlast bags are okay, but I am not a fan of the banana hot dog shape.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...