Introducing The DEVILLE Swivel (aka "A-51")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

If anyone had told you you would be doing this when you first began bagging, would you have believed them, Dee? Pretty interesting development.

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

That sounds like fun Ms D.

Be around the gym, bag, talk bagging, and get paid to do something as enjoyable as smacking the leather around.
      Nice!

Hope you have a great time, find some new bag addicts, and make a nice chunk of change in the process.

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
      Hi meanwun. And welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job. But, it sounds like you have the right attitude.

I knew the day was coming. It was a tough decision for my boss. She was forced to tighten the budget (again!) and I was next in line to get my notice. It's been a great career over the years. I started out in the newspaper business at the tender age of 16 and have worked most of my life in the industry. But all good things must come to an end. And, as they say, where one door closes, another opens.

Well, another door has opened – actually, I took the initiative to open it! – and it is a door that I least expected to go through!

A boxing gym 30 miles north of us opened up a few months back (which offers Muay Thai, boxing, and kickboxing). Last week, Raul and I decided to go check it out to see if it had speed bags. Ben, the owner of the gym, told us that he wanted speed bags, but felt it's more for advanced students, and he didn't know anyone with experience... hmmm... so, Raul said we were both seasoned speed baggers and would he consider putting up bags if we offered to give some basic instruction. Raul even offered to install some platforms and swivels in exchange for membership to the gym. Ben didn't even hesitate. He jumped at the offer!

This morning, we took three 24" wood rounds, some swivels and spare speed bags up to the gym and installed 3 vertical boards. Ben had never seen anything like that, but within minutes of putting them up, we were teaching him the finer points of vertical bagging! He's hooked!

Raul got a 3" thick 8-foot length of redwood cedar that he got from a friend who runs a sawmill. He'll put 3 swivels on it and take it up to the gym on Monday. I'll post pictures later.

So, yes, I must say, that although the door to my old job has closed, the Bainbridge Island Boxing Gym's doors have swung open for me. My plan is to give basic speed bag lessons at the gym, and offer private lessons to those who want to learn in the privacy of their home. I won't make much, BUT, I'll get to be a "gym rat" and do what I love – SPEED BAG! I'm pretty excited about this new development in my life.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi meanwun. And welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job. But, it sounds like you have the right attitude.

I knew the day was coming. It was a tough decision for my boss. She was forced to tighten the budget (again!) and I was next in line to get my notice. It's been a great career over the years. I started out in the newspaper business at the tender age of 16 and have worked most of my life in the industry. But all good things must come to an end. And, as they say, where one door closes, another opens.

Well, another door has opened – actually, I took the initiative to open it! – and it is a door that I least expected to go through!

A boxing gym 30 miles north of us opened up a few months back (which offers Muay Thai, boxing, and kickboxing). Last week, Raul and I decided to go check it out to see if it had speed bags. Ben, the owner of the gym, told us that he wanted speed bags, but felt it's more for advanced students, and he didn't know anyone with experience... hmmm... so, Raul said we were both seasoned speed baggers and would he consider putting up bags if we offered to give some basic instruction. Raul even offered to install some platforms and swivels in exchange for membership to the gym. Ben didn't even hesitate. He jumped at the offer!

This morning, we took three 24" wood rounds, some swivels and spare speed bags up to the gym and installed 3 vertical boards. Ben had never seen anything like that, but within minutes of putting them up, we were teaching him the finer points of vertical bagging! He's hooked!

Raul got a 3" thick 8-foot length of redwood cedar that he got from a friend who runs a sawmill. He'll put 3 swivels on it and take it up to the gym on Monday. I'll post pictures later.

So, yes, I must say, that although the door to my old job has closed, the Bainbridge Island Boxing Gym's doors have swung open for me. My plan is to give basic speed bag lessons at the gym, and offer private lessons to those who want to learn in the privacy of their home. I won't make much, BUT, I'll get to be a "gym rat" and do what I love – SPEED BAG! I'm pretty excited about this new development in my life.
        Awesome Development, Dee. That's super. Is the speed bag community great or what...

Great to hear you will be personally teaching. That is always the best way. Looks like BainBridge Island Gym will be the place to be in the Northwest.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• southtexaskevin
          • Jan 2012

So, yes, I must say, that although the door to my old job has closed, the Bainbridge Island Boxing Gym's doors have swung open for me. My plan is to give basic speed bag lessons at the gym, and offer private lessons to those who want to learn in the privacy of their home. I
          won't make much, BUT, I'll get to be a "gym rat" and do what I love – SPEED BAG! I'm pretty excited about this new development in my life.
          great news..... Those folks at the gym are in good company

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by southtexaskevin View Post
            great news..... Those folks at the gym are in good company
            Thanks, Kevin. Raul and I have struck up a good friendship with Ben, the owner, and have met a few of his club members... all great people.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Awesome Development, Dee. That's super. Is the speed bag community great or what...

Great to hear you will be personally teaching. That is always the best way. Looks like Bainbridge Island Gym will be the place to be in the Northwest.
            Thanks, Alan. Yes, this is a GREAT development...and Raul has helped make it happen by offering to build several speed bag platforms for the gym. I have just completed a You Tube video showing the gym and of the installation of the setups. I'll put it in a separate Thread.

There are 4 vertical speed bag platforms on the wall, and a 3-man platform (3 swivels on a 3-inch-thick, 8-foot long plank of redwood. The triple-swivel platform stands a little higher than 6-ft. Trainer Raul built graduated platforms (approx. 2.75'x4') to place underneath the setups for people of different heights. They are very light and easy to move around – so light, that even I can move them around. They're just a sheet of OSB board with some lengths of styrofoam attached to the underside of them for the different levels.

Because, Ben, the owner is so tall, Raul is going to build a separate platform for him and anyone else in the club who is taller than 6 ft. This one will be made of concrete. (I'll post pictures of it when he gets started on the making of it.)

As for giving instruction... I was a little hesitant about this part, since I still consider myself a "rookie." But, after spending some time at the gym, I have helped several of the "regulars" get a jump-start on hitting the vertical bag. They were hitting on the vertical within minutes of instruction!

Yes, teaching someone the basics of speed bagging in person is so much better than trying to figure it out on your own.

I think I'm gonna like it at BI Boxing Gym. Ben, the owner is a gentle giant of a man. He stands nearly 6'6" and his heart is as big as he is. And his assistant trainer, Jordan is a great individual, as well.
            Last edited by MsDeville; 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM.
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• J102
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2011

Nice

Enjoyed that video. Like the music too.

That is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship on that platform. Nice work.

Good Luck at BI

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by J102 View Post
                Enjoyed that video. Like the music too.

That is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship on that platform. Nice work.

Good Luck at BI
                Thanks, J102. Raul is pretty handy with stuff like this. As for me, not so much.
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I've posted this message at the beginning of this thread, but I figured that I should also put it in a recent posting, in case anyone comes directly to the end of this thread looking for this information. I apologize for the redundancy. -Dee

SWIVEL UPDATE FOR MARCH 27, 2012:

BATCH 2 of the Deville swivels have been sold out and BATCH 3 will be available THIS WEEK.
                  IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ORDERING, OR IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SWIVEL,
                  PLEASE CONTACT ME THROUGH THE PRIVATE MESSAGING ON THE FORUM
                  AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP!

Thanks!
                  "MsDeville"

Last edited by MsDeville; 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Vanhaus
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2012

Purchase a swivel

I would like to purchase a swivel..Thanks Scott sew136@aol.com
                    please email me with the order info

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Vanhaus View Post
                      I would like to purchase a swivel..Thanks Scott sew136@aol.com
                      please email me with the order info
                      Hi Scott. Welcome to the forum. It was great talking to you last week. I have received your payment and I will be shipping your swivel today via the US Postal Service. It should arrive by this Thursday or Friday. Thanks for contacting me.

Comment

• Buffmedic01
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2012

I want to purchase a swivel... ericpetersen01@gmail.com

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Buffmedic01 View Post
                          I want to purchase a swivel... ericpetersen01@gmail.com
                          Fantastic Buffmedic01! I have sent you a Private Message. Thanks!

Comment

• Biff
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Dee, I've been away for sometime. Please PM me with the details. I would love to order one of your swivels.

Comment

• Buffmedic01
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Mar 2012

Dee's swivel is amazing. I have it setup and its already functioning flawlessly. Its quite, pretty fast and really fun. I heard there was a learning curve to ballhooks but all my old boxing drills seem exactly the same for me. I assume its because I have good accuracy that im not having any issues adjusting? Now to start working on the trick bagging. Ive been playing with the "4 way elbows" and man is this all going to be a challenge... luckily I'm dedicated and stubborn. Thank you so much Ms.Deville. I don't know what I would be using without your swivel.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Buffmedic01 View Post
                                Dee's swivel is amazing. I have it setup and its already functioning flawlessly. Its quite, pretty fast and really fun. I heard there was a learning curve to ballhooks but all my old boxing drills seem exactly the same for me. I assume its because I have good accuracy that im not having any issues adjusting? Now to start working on the trick bagging. Ive been playing with the "4 way elbows" and man is this all going to be a challenge... luckily I'm dedicated and stubborn. Thank you so much Ms.Deville. I don't know what I would be using without your swivel.
                                I'm very happy knowing that it has met your expectations! Thanks so much for the positive review of the A-51 Deville! Woohoo!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...