• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

An eBay Gamble

I regularly troll through eBay looking for bags to fill out my collection (that won't break the bank). Recently there was a listing for a striking bag (no name given) and three junior boxing gloves. The person listing the items stated that the bag looked like it had been not used much, if at all. The bag was wine colored with what appeared to be double stitched seams.

I really wasn't interested in the gloves, but I watched the auction for a while and finally placed a bid. I ultimately won the auction , and I awaited the package with my new acquisition to arrive.

A couple of days later I received the box with bag and the pair and half gloves. The bag is mint, although the valve is shot (it presently has a plug made out of a cotton swab stick sealing it). It turns out it looks like it's a transitional MacGregor/Goldsmith All American Professional Striking bag (model H69). Goldsmith had obtained the MacGregor firm in 1936, and products from then until 1952 were lettered for MacGregor Goldsmith. After that only the MacGregor name was found on their sporting goods line. Compared to some other photos that I have found, it's definitely a MacGregor bag, although both names are absent from the bag. From top to bottom "Professional" "All American" " H69" (yes I post a photo as soon as I can).

This bag is in wonderful shape other than the bladder, which I will probably will replace. The leather is fantastic, soft and supple, easy on the hands.

So,yes there are some deals out there, occasionally, and I got lucky this time. Got a wonderful piece to add to the collection without jeopardizing the rent money.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Hope you can post photos when it arrives.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	91305 Okay, I think this is going to take now

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Nice bag!

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Yes it is. For twenty bucks plus shipping I was willing to take a chance that it wouldn't have been piece of crap. It does date from post 1952, mid fifties I would guess. Like I said the valve is shot, felt it disintergrate when I slowly inserted the needle. Holds air fairly well with the plug I made. Eventually I put a new bladder in it. I have a spare Title one on hand right now, it's between this one and a 80's Everlast 4207 that need one (both bad valves). Now what to do with pair and a half of Rocky Graziano junior boxing gloves........

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            [ATTACH]5337[/ATTACH] Okay, I think this is going to take now
            Classic! nice find.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

I haven't changed out the bladder yet, but the plug keeps it inflated for about a day. Yes, I've hit it, and it's not a "heavy" bag, but quite lively for a long neck. I look forward to working out on it once I get the bladder replaced.

Comment

• StevieMac
                • Oct 2010

Wow, that's in excellent condition for it's age. Nice find.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Nice!
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Well, I took another chance this past week on an eBay listing for an A. J. Reach bag. It was described as have soft supple leather, and little to no wear marks. From the photos two things became clear to me. One, it was an old bag, and two it was not a bottom valve bag. It wasn't a top valve bag either. It had (past tense) a filler tube bladder, which was no longer with it. I said what the heck and bought it. It arrived today, and the quality and condition of the leather is down right amazing. It is a big bag, measuring out at sixteen inches from the top of the loop to the bottom of the bag.
                    Now to find something to inflate it with. I'm thinking for a quick, cheap and dirty just for photo purposes of using a kid's punch ball. Now for a real bladder, it appears that only Cleto Reyes makes a bladder with a top valve (in addition to the usual bottom valve. I don't know for sure if this will do the trick or not as it might not be able to fill the bag completely without failing. Yes pictures will be forthcoming when I get things sorted out.
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 01-29-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

I can't wait to see that one!

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Deano sent me a bag from 'downunder'...and an extra bladder...it's one with the valve in the top!

It's a "Body First" bag, but I can't find a web site for it? Found it here, but not much info.:
                        Looking for top-quality fitness equipment hire in Tasmania? Health and Leisure Fitness Equipment has affordable solutions for your fitness needs. Call today.

Then there's this:
                        Shop boxing gloves and punching bags from Punch Equipment, Australia. View our wide range of boxing gear for all your needs!

...and Jim Bradley:
                        Jim Bradley is Australian Made Boxing Bags, Boxing Rings, Speedballs, Floor to Ceiling Balls and anything Boxing Equipment. We are also able to custom build boxing equipment to suit your needs.
                        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Thanks Joe! Looks like I need a 40 cm bladder, looks like Jim Bradley has them. It'll probably cost as much as the bladder to ship it, but I'll check it out

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

Are you sure about the Jim Bradley bladder? Their speed balls looks pretty standard. To me that tip looks too pointy to go on the bottom of your AJ Reach bag.

-rusty
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Oct 2016

Hey, if you don't mind butyl, just cut one out of an old soccer ball.
                              @ArcSwivel
                              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...