Traditional Bag Glove vs. Open Palm MMA style Bag Glove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benjamin Bradley
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2008

Traditional Bag Glove vs. Open Palm MMA style Bag Glove?

Hi! I'm brand new and this is my very first post (please be gentle.) So upon investigating what kind of bag glove I should purchase I've came across your traditional boxing glove (closed palm/thumb) - and I know there's a difference between the sparring and bag versions. And then there is the MMA style open thumb/palm glove.

I've seen a few MMA style gloves that are rated for heavy bag training such as Harbinger's 320 Bag Glove and then I understand TITLE's GEL World Bag Gloves are excellent as well.

My question is, in comparison, what is the better glove as far as pros and cons of the styles from anyone's experience? I'm just looking to incorporate intense heavy bag (and eventually speed bag) training/drills as part of a general conditioning and fitness regimen, not necessarily boxing per se.

Any input on this thread is very much appreciated.
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

i think for what you want to use the heavy bag for the traditional boxing gloves would would work better. The extra weight on the gloves will give you a better workout. Personally i use both. If i just want a good workout in my arms i always go with the bag gloves (boxing) but when i want to get my technique down and get myself hitting with the right knuckles i use the MMA style gloves. Hope this help and if you have any other questions to be hessitent to ask.
    ________
    Lol_ly_pop
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Benjamin Bradley View Post
      I'm just looking to incorporate intense heavy bag (and eventually speed bag) training/drills as part of a general conditioning and fitness regimen, not necessarily boxing per se.

Any input on this thread is very much appreciated.
      If you're not actually getting in the ring, I'd say train with whatever gives your hands the best protection. I use 10 oz bag gloves and hand wraps. I've also got 16 oz gloves, regular boxing bag glove style. Both work well.

Comment

• Benjamin Bradley
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2008

So about the ounces...

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        If you're not actually getting in the ring, I'd say train with whatever gives your hands the best protection. I use 10 oz bag gloves and hand wraps. I've also got 16 oz gloves, regular boxing bag glove style. Both work well.
        Thanks for the input. Also, about the weight. Exactly what does that correspond to? As in, what would be an appropriate weight glove if I happened to choose the traditional boxing glove? I'm 6'1 and 190lbs in case size is a factor, but I also believe my hands may be slightly on the smaller side.

Comment

• Benjamin Bradley
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2008

Nevermind!

Originally posted by Benjamin Bradley View Post
          Thanks for the input. Also, about the weight. Exactly what does that correspond to? As in, what would be an appropriate weight glove if I happened to choose the traditional boxing glove? I'm 6'1 and 190lbs in case size is a factor, but I also believe my hands may be slightly on the smaller side.
          A little more extensive digging and I was able to get some good information about glove weights and their purposes. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

• Roscoe
            • May 2006

Like the man say's.....

.....protect yourself at all times.

Good advice here

Comment

• Jumpy
              • Feb 2008

I'm a bit of a noob, so take this with a grain of salt.

I've tried a MMA glove (probably a non-bag glove) and it just didn't have enough padding for my hands. I was LUCKY enough to find a pair of 16oz Twins Special Bag gloves at a used sporting goods store for 25 bucks. It is heaven and I'll never look back. Online I think that they are 60 bucks, but they are worth it.

Don't tell anyone but they smell mighty purty too.

If you do go for the Gel gloves, please share your 2 cents. I'm a curious cat. Oh, and don't forget the wraps.
              Last edited by Jumpy; 06-25-2008, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...