• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Carry On Wayward Bag!

Yes! Well, I mean... Kansas! This song owns! I love every part of it! Absolutely epic! The song is perfect but it wouldn't be as cool without the mighty vocals of Steve Walsh. He is just way underrated. As is guitarist Kerry Livgren. I only knew drummer Phil Ehart's name until I recently started reading up on them. I had fun trying to get through it in one take but that never happened. I put two takes together right at the beginning of the jam. Read more detail in the write up on the actual youtube clip!
    BAG ON!

Carry on my wayward son,
    There'll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest
    Don't you cry no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
    Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
    I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high
    Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
    Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
    I hear the voices when I'm dreamin', I can hear them say:

Carry on my wayward son,
    Don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason
    My charade is the event of the season
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know
    On a stormy sea of moving emotion
    Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean
    I set a course for winds of fortune, but I hear the voices say:

Carry on my wayward son,
    Don't you cry no more NO!

Carry on, you will always remember
    Carry on, nothing equals the splendor
    Now your life's no longer empty
    Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son,
    Don't you cry
    Don't you cry no more
    Last edited by spinsmashpop; 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM. Reason: added detail, punctuation mistake
  • Jordan
    • Jun 2009

AWWHHHHHHHHHH my god I hate you and I love you at the same time....this was the song I was gonna try to punch drum to for the first time, but you did it like some punch drum genius, that was beautiful, not a single beat in the song left out. You became the real drummer for that song but through a speed bag.....simply amazing.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
      AWWHHHHHHHHHH my god I hate you and I love you at the same time....this was the song I was gonna try to punch drum to for the first time, but you did it like some punch drum genius, that was beautiful, not a single beat in the song left out. You became the real drummer for that song but through a speed bag.....simply amazing.
      No way! Cmon! That's crazy....
      Well thanks for diggin' it! It is such a huge song! Might I suggest going for a another rockin' epic; maybe Yes' Roundabout...that is killer! Or Stairway To Heaven or Freebird? Or Won't Get Fooled Again? Or Bohemian Rhapsody? There are so many killer songs like this.... But it is real hard to touch all the awesomeness Kansas touched on in one tune! The riff in the middle jam is one of rock's all time best ever! It still gives me the same goosebumps it gave me when I was like 10! BAG ON!

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Wow, very well done, Brian. Nice mix of combinations. I think you have arrived! Great job.

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          Yes! Well, I mean... Kansas! This song owns! I love every part of it! Absolutely epic! The song is perfect but it wouldn't be as cool without the mighty vocals of Steve Walsh. He is just way underrated. As is guitarist Kerry Livgren. I only knew drummer Phil Ehart's name until I recently started reading up on them. I had fun trying to get through it in one take but that never happened. I put two takes together right at the beginning of the jam. Read more detail in the write up on the actual youtube clip!
          BAG ON!

Carry on my wayward son,
          Don't you cry no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
          Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
          I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high
          Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
          Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
          I hear the voices when I'm dreamin', I can hear them say:

Carry on my wayward son,
          Don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason
          My charade is the event of the season
          And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know
          On a stormy sea of moving emotion
          Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean
          I set a course for winds of fortune, but I hear the voices say:

Carry on my wayward son,
          Don't you cry no more NO!

Carry on, you will always remember
          Carry on, nothing equals the splendor
          Now your life's no longer empty
          Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son,
          Don't you cry
          Don't you cry no more
          And Brian does it again!! My man You ROCK!! Speedbag Dragon in da HOUSE!!
          sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

BAG ON!

...and low, under the shadow of a distant board, forged by hours of practice, by toil and imagination; he honed his skills, he heard the heart of the rebounds, the sound of the beat, and learned to let the rhythm be his guide. And suddenly, unbeknowing to others, or even himself, the beat consumed his soul and set free a force not yet known among mortal man. And then.. only then,

the drummer and his bag became
            one.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tonight I can die a happy man, for I have lived long enough to see a dream fulfilled. A Punch Drumming exhibition that has left me speechless. Un-Be-frickin-leavable. BRAVO, Monsieur Tichy. You have truly arrived at the level of bag beat ownership. I could comment for hours on the technical aspects of that performance, section by section, rhythm changes, speed changes, double time, straight time and beat manipulation, but suffice it to say most of that was totally solid ownership of the beat, the bag and dead on. The first 45 seconds was amazing, as was 1:52 - 2:13. You hear double beat accents and manipulate them differently than I do, and you start combinations at different parts of the measure, yet they blend perfectly. Isn't that fun!!? How's it feel to know that "now" - you be jammin'!

Rock & Roll is about get it blown away.....
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

...and low, under the shadow of a distant board, forged by hours of practice, by toil and imagination; he honed his skills, he heard the heart of the rebounds, the sound of the beat, and learned to let the rhythm be his guide. And suddenly, unbeknowing to others, or even himself, the beat consumed his soul and set free a force not yet known among mortal man. And then.. only then,

the drummer and his bag became
              one.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tonight I can die a happy man, for I have lived long enough to see a dream fulfilled. A Punch Drumming exhibition that has left me speechless. Un-Be-frickin-leavable. BRAVO, Monsieur Tichy. You have truly arrived at the level of bag beat ownership. I could comment for hours on the technical aspects of that performance, section by section, rhythm changes, speed changes, double time, straight time and beat manipulation, but suffice it to say most of that was totally solid ownership of the beat, the bag and dead on. The first 45 seconds was amazing, as was 1:52 - 2:13. You hear double beat accents and manipulate them differently than I do, and you start combinations at different parts of the measure, yet they blend perfectly. Isn't that fun!!? How's it feel to know that "now" - you be jammin'!

Rock & Roll is about get it blown away.....
              Wow AK! Thanks a lot! I am blown away by your comments. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything about anything I've ever done like that in my life! So, uh, jeez.....thanks!
              I can hear all the rhythms going on and as long as choose a couple patterns as "spring boards", I can venture off a bit. I did put some time into making sure I went to triplets when the band did, and rock out a bit more when they did. It ain't perfect, most of it is improv within a motif. The motifs being FCP in triplet time, and the pattern I made up as a guide to the main rock motif of the tune when it kicks in at 0:17.
              And future punch drummers take note; when punching and knowing you are getting to the end of a phrase and are not real sure of how to get out of it without winding up in a position unfamiliar to your repertoire, simply blast out some fist rolling! Maybe it's easier for me because that is like going around the toms like Neil Peart from Rush! It gives you time to set up the big beat #1! And Metaldad calls fist rolling "blasting", which is based off the drum term "blast beat". That is when you keep time at such a fast pace, your right foot and your right hand are together about as fast as they will go, and your left simply fills in between. Like a RLRLRLRL etc... on one drum, but you split the hands between a cymbal and drum with the bass drum following under the cymbal. It definitely has a fist rolling sound to it no doubt. ... So I too will try to embrace the term "blasting" as the equivalent of "fist rolling" for metal heads!!!! Yeah!
              Back to Kansas......
              I did want to nail that first drum fill! Strong intros and endings "book end" a performance and are crucial to the "illusion" that you have done more than the viewer/listener thinks!
              Anyhow..... blah blah blah.. I can do much better. I didn't use much left elbow stuff even though I could have. I wanted to hit bigger, better multi-combinations of O and D-TES's and all that. I didn't phantom punch as much as I wanted and I didn't do much more than the basic reverse punching. Though I have been getting better at working from behind the bag.

It is so fun to punch to killer tunes. And this is one of the all time greats in my book! Vocalist Steve Walsh gives me goosebumps!
              Soooooo.... thanks a ton. I am real happy to hear you sound so psyched. I have learned a lot from everyone I have met, bagged with and talked to about the art of speed bagging. But you and Skunk are the top cats that influence most of us.
              Look for more soon. But I think I gotta get heavier!
              BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Wow AK! Thanks a lot! I am blown away by your comments. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything about anything I've ever done like that in my life! So, uh, jeez.....thanks!
                It was awesome. I cracked my face smiling and screaming "unreal..!"

I can hear all the rhythms going on and as long as choose a couple patterns as "spring boards", I can venture off a bit. I did put some time into making sure I went to triplets when the band did, and rock out a bit more when they did. It ain't perfect, most of it is improv within a motif. The motifs being FCP in triplet time, and the pattern I made up as a guide to the main rock motif of the tune when it kicks in at 0:17.
                And future punch drummers take note; when punching and knowing you are getting to the end of a phrase and are not real sure of how to get out of it without winding up in a position unfamiliar to your repertoire, simply blast out some fist rolling!
                ...with time and experience you will be more comfortable getting out of a phrase, especially when you are more confident from the Reverse and Sides. In a short time you will feel comfortable single punching from anywhere around the bag.

But aren't you starting to "feel" where you hands will be in a measure of so? I can sense where the phrase is going and KNOW where my hands will be when it ends, If it will be a single punch behind, or the second fist of a FDP, RDP, or SDP, or third fist of a Triple strike, or even if I'm going to be off beat and have the final Punch of the phrase be the FIRST fist of a double punch, (which will put it off beat). I think you will start to feel where you will be a few measures ahead. And yes you can simply blast out with a fist roll, chosing to end ON a solid beat somewhere. OR you may blast into Double Time FDP ' ' RDP. But Fist Rolling is normally the ultimate control technique for punch drumming and adjusting bag speed or getting back "in time" if you're off.

..Maybe it's easier for me because that is like going around the toms like Neil Peart from Rush! It gives you time to set up the big beat #1! And Metaldad calls fist rolling "blasting", which is based off the drum term "blast beat". That is when you keep time at such a fast pace, your right foot and your right hand are together about as fast as they will go, and your left simply fills in between. Like a RLRLRLRL etc... on one drum, but you split the hands between a cymbal and drum with the bass drum following under the cymbal. It definitely has a fist rolling sound to it no doubt. ... So I too will try to embrace the term "blasting" as the equivalent of "fist rolling" for metal heads!!!! Yeah!
                Back to Kansas......
                I did want to nail that first drum fill! Strong intros and endings "book end" a performance and are crucial to the "illusion" that you have done more than the viewer/listener thinks!

Anyhow..... blah blah blah.. I can do much better. I didn't use much left elbow stuff even though I could have. I wanted to hit bigger, better multi-combinations of O and D-TES's and all that. I didn't phantom punch as much as I wanted and I didn't do much more than the basic reverse punching. Though I have been getting better at working from behind the bag.
                I notice you stayed away from too much Reverse Punching, with the exception of the brilliant RDP ' ' ' RDP combo in the opening at :15 on the word "more". That is a perfect place for that. There was a few times you could have exited a phrase or combo on a real solid RSP and fell into a 5-1 or 3-3 pattern, but that's the way "I" hear it and perceive it. I think you really perceive the "bag beat" a bit differently than I do and create a slightly different bag groove than I, but that's the unique individuality that rhythm creates. You're adding a few new twists to Punch Drumming that I never heard. I hear them when you do it, but I probably wouldn't have chose some of your combinations where you did. The other baggers may not quite understand it yet, but you get "in" and "out" of bag grooves a little different in the phrases than I do. They may hear that more if we hit to the same songs. I've done a few sets to foreigner songs. Cold as Ice, Double Vision, etc. I'm planning on posting a medly of those soon. Both of those are fairly slow basic punching and medium fast syncopated.

It is so fun to punch to killer tunes.
                Exactly!!!! I have to admit, I DO know how you feel.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
                  • Jun 2009

I was showin this to my roomate tonight....he was awed....I just love how you were completely on beat no matter what point in the song, the whole thing is a marvel of punch drumming, its really ispirational for me to just rip into that bag. I'm puttin this on my facebook page for sure...BAG ON TICHY.

Comment

• The Baggist
                    Vert Baggin' Master
                    • May 2009

Freakin Awesome B.T.!!!!

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

love this song and didnt think someone cud make it better but i think any song plus a bag makes it better hahaha

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I knew it was extraordinary, but it takes the knowledge of Alan to describe why specifically, but anyways, not much I can add other than to say - OUTSTANDING !!!!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

BTW I watched this video 3 times in a row with jaw on the floor. My wife loves this song too, they use it as the theme song for "SUPERNATURAL" TV show.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by biff View Post
                            wow, very well done, brian. Nice mix of combinations. I think you have arrived! Great job.
                            Thanks Bif!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                            and brian does it again!! My man you rock!! Speedbag dragon in da house!!
                            Thanks Metaldad!

Originally posted by speedbag View Post
                            it was awesome. I cracked my face smiling and screaming "unreal..!"
                            ...with time and experience you will be more comfortable getting out of a phrase, especially when you are more confident from the reverse and sides. In a short time you will feel comfortable single punching from anywhere around the bag.
                            But aren't you starting to "feel" where you hands will be in a measure of so? I can sense where the phrase is going and know where my hands will be when it ends, if it will be a single punch behind, or the second fist of a fdp, rdp, or sdp, or third fist of a triple strike, or even if i'm going to be off beat and have the final punch of the phrase be the first fist of a double punch, (which will put it off beat). I think you will start to feel where you will be a few measures ahead. And yes you can simply blast out with a fist roll, chosing to end on a solid beat somewhere. Or you may blast into double time fdp ' ' rdp. But fist rolling is normally the ultimate control technique for punch drumming and adjusting bag speed or getting back "in time" if you're off.
                            I notice you stayed away from too much reverse punching, with the exception of the brilliant rdp ' ' ' rdp combo in the opening at :15 on the word "more". That is a perfect place for that. There was a few times you could have exited a phrase or combo on a real solid rsp and fell into a 5-1 or 3-3 pattern, but that's the way "i" hear it and perceive it. I think you really perceive the "bag beat" a bit differently than i do and create a slightly different bag groove than i, but that's the unique individuality that rhythm creates. You're adding a few new twists to punch drumming that i never heard. I hear them when you do it, but i probably wouldn't have chose some of your combinations where you did. The other baggers may not quite understand it yet, but you get "in" and "out" of bag grooves a little different in the phrases than i do. They may hear that more if we hit to the same songs. I've done a few sets to foreigner songs. Cold as ice, double vision, etc. I'm planning on posting a medly of those soon. Both of those are fairly slow basic punching and medium fast syncopated.
                            Exactly!!!! I have to admit, i do know how you feel. :d
                            Thanks again Speedbag! With some of the techniques not as good as others, I wanted to get through song and not have it take up days of my life! In other takes i did other stuff but forgot to add it back in after making a big mistake and going for a fres take. It's all basic motor skill stuff now but I also was trying to play somewhat with the music..... So there is a lot going on im my head for those 5 1/2 minutes!

Originally posted by jordan View Post
                            i was showin this to my roomate tonight....he was awed....i just love how you were completely on beat no matter what point in the song, the whole thing is a marvel of punch drumming, its really ispirational for me to just rip into that bag. I'm puttin this on my facebook page for sure...bag on tichy.
                            Killer! Thanks Jordan! I don't think it's a marvel, it's just getting there. And my "look" (how I bag) is not nearly as cool as Alan's or Skunk's. They both look different, but confident and under control.

Originally posted by the baggist View Post
                            :dfreakin awesome b.t.!!!!:d
                            Thanks Baggist!

Originally posted by kyle View Post
                            love this song and didnt think someone cud make it better but i think any song plus a bag makes it better hahaha
                            Kyle! Thanks man!

Originally posted by tim View Post
                            i knew it was extraordinary, but it takes the knowledge of alan to describe why specifically, but anyways, not much i can add other than to say - outstanding !!!!
                            And .....Thanks Tim! I'm glad you guys all dug this. I almost didn't put it up for a few different reasons but then said why not, it is where I am at now. I'll get better. So thanks again y'all!!!
                            Bag on wayward sons!!!!!

Ohhhhh....Tim... I just typed all this in "CAPS", but when you review it, it comes back in lowercase and no caps on the beginnings of sentences and certain names and stuff. So I just went through and edited it to be correct.
                            any reason why this happens and things in caps can't just stay as caps??
                            Thanks...

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Ohhhhh....Tim... I just typed all this in "CAPS", but when you review it, it comes back in lowercase and no caps on the beginnings of sentences and certain names and stuff. So I just went through and edited it to be correct.
                              any reason why this happens and things in caps can't just stay as caps??
                              Thanks...
                              That's weird... I don't know. Let me poke around and see what I can figure out.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...