X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geronimo
    • Sep 2009

Need some Shoulder Advice...

Well it happened again, but go figure i shoulda known better and well, i just figured my shoulder was doing GREAT till yesterdays Judo practice. We were practicing Tomoe Nage, into mount position. Get an idea if you not following check here < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KABmm...eature=related > shows perfectly what were going over.

So now im going to look into getting my shoulder fixed. I know Tim, Alan, and im sure a LOT of others here have some very good advice on what to be expecting, etc from this long process. Its about time i just have the doc but some hardware in there and tighten it up so i can least have a good sound base of a shoulder to build off of, instead of this one that falls apart .

Yeah, no baggin' for me for a while < forces the tears back >!

Funny how i never injury myself in Boxing/kickboxing besides bruising/sprain etc. This grappling is brutal!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Sorry to hear that you've hurt your shoulder again. I know how you feel, but can't really comment because there's no telling what you've done inside. No telling if you need surgery or not, but if you do It's doubtful you'll need "hardware", as in a titanium humeral head or plastic socket. That would be a very last resort and I'd say you're waaaay to young for that drastic of a procedure. Good luck in your treatment. Try to stay focused and concentrate on one day at a time.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Sorry to hear that you've hurt your shoulder again. I know how you feel, but can't really comment because there's no telling what you've done inside. No telling if you need surgery or not, but if you do It's doubtful you'll need "hardware", as in a titanium humeral head or plastic socket. That would be a very last resort and I'd say you're waaaay to young for that drastic of a procedure. Good luck in your treatment. Try to stay focused and concentrate on one day at a time.
      x2. I'd say take it one step at a time. Go see an ortho. They'll start with x-rays, MRIs, etc. and tell you what needs fixing. There are doctors out there that have done many, many of these operations and can give you much better information than I can.

Comment

• Rehab Rob
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2010

X3. Lots can go on in the shoulder. I recently had a complete rotator cuff tear along with biceps and labral tears. Lots of anchors and sutures. The good news for you is that I doubt its anywhere near as bad. My arm was black and blue down to the wrist from the damage and internal bleeding caused by my tear. Bad juju. My advice. Find a good ortho and if you need surgery religiously follow their and your therapists instructions.

Comment

• Joe
          • May 2010

Yep - the shoulder is one complicated mother or destruction. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries. Both with very different injuries. My advice is to get it looked at ASAP and just get it done - its a long process but well worth the effort in the end. I can't throw a baseball to save my life now - he tightened it up really nicely. But it does not effect me in everyday life - I just won't be pitching in the minors anytime soon...

Hopefully they don'y do that Xray where they pump the needle full of dye into that area while you are awake. I remember the big needle and I remember cringing... then I remember coming to with a tad bit of drool going down the side of my chin. That hurt like a mother!!!

The rest of it involved little white pills and better living through chemistry/

good luck.
          Last edited by Joe; 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by HomerFett View Post
            Yep - the shoulder is one complicated mother or destruction. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries. Both with very different injuries. My advice is to get it looked at ASAP and just get it done - its a long process but well worth the effort in the end. I can't throw a baseball to save my life now - he tightened it up really nicely. But it does not effect me in everyday life - I just won't be pitching in the minors anytime soon...

Hopefully they don'y do that Xray where they pump the needle full of dye into that area while you are awake. I remember the big needle and I remember cringing... then I remember coming to with a tad bit of drool going down the side of my chin. That hurt like a mother!!!

The rest of it involved little white pills and better living through chemistry/

good luck.
            Injecting dye or contrast media into the shoulder space is called an arthrogram. After a few you just get used to it.

I never got the little white pills for better living through chemistry after any of my arthrograms. Geez, now I think I might have missed something. Now I want to go get another one just for the pills!
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Joe
              • May 2010

Injecting dye or contrast media into the shoulder space is called an arthrogram. After a few you just get used to it.

I never got the little white pills for better living through chemistry after any of my arthrograms. Geez, now I think I might have missed something. Now I want to go get another one just for the pills!

The pills were after the surgery... I think I still probably still have some left. I could never be a junkie - the twisted nightly dreams freaked me out.
              sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                The pills were after the surgery... I think I still probably still have some left. I could never be a junkie - the twisted nightly dreams freaked me out.
                Yea, I've had a few surgeries and may have a few pain pills left over myself. When they rip the back half of your neck out - you WILL take the pain pills afterward. No more Mr. Tough Guy.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

...you WILL take the pain pills afterward. No more Mr. Tough Guy.
                  Did you take the red pills, or the blue pills?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    Did you take the red pills, or the blue pills?
                    Both, if it kills the pain.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bagdaddy
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2010

[QUOTE=Geronimo;21773]Well it happened again, but go figure i shoulda known better and well, i just figured my shoulder was doing GREAT till yesterdays Judo practice.

So now im going to look into getting my shoulder fixed.QUOTE]

Hey Geronimo, I thought I'd pick up on this thread and add my two cents worth. I don't know if you've recieved surgery or not, but I hope your doing better!

I'm still recovering from rotator cuff repair surgery back in November, 2009. I found this site after my surgery. I have never hit a speedbag before. I'm really stoked to learn to do it though!

I won't bore you with the details of my ups and downs during pre and post-op therapy. I will share with you THE best advise that I have recieved to date though. It is simply this: During your therapy, DO NOT TAKE YOUR STRETCHING, STRENGTH OR RANGE-OF-MOTION EXCERCISES INTO THE SLIGHTEST PAIN! IF IT HURTS, DO NOT DO IT!

I except responsibility for my mistakes. But I believe I could have been better served by my Doctor and Therapist if they had treated me based on these guidelines and advised me of them.

I'm old-school. But now I have learned that the "No Pain-No Gain" rule does NOT apply to rotator cuff recovery.

I purchased the product in the link below. I'm here to tell you, it is THE best advice I have recieved concerning rotator cuff health and recovery from surgery. Do youself a favor and purchase it! I bet you'll discover some things that your therapist is unaware of.

I'm sorry for the matter-of-fact tone in which I write, but I have been there...done that and I wish someone had advised me this boldly before I wasted so much time in my recovery.

Good luck!

bagdaddy

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by bagdaddy View Post
                        ...... I'm old-school. But now I have learned that the "No Pain-No Gain" rule does NOT apply to rotator cuff recovery.

bagdaddy
                        ... or recovery from any other joint injury.

There is "Good Pain" and "Bad Pain" in both regular training and in Recovery from injury. Good Pain indicates progress, and Bad Pain represents injury.

The key is to know the difference. Aye, there's the rub.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bagdaddy
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2010

... or recovery from any other joint injury.

There is "Good Pain" and "Bad Pain" in both regular training and in Recovery from injury. Good Pain indicates progress, and Bad Pain represents injury.

The key is to know the difference. Aye, there's the rub.

Exactly Alan! And that's where I was screwed up! I always thought that I was good at differentiating between muscle soreness pain, tendonitis pain and joint/ligament pain. But this rotator cuff deal humbled me pretty good. I don’t even trust my judgment anymore. I believe that once I get back in the game (working out and such), I’ll re-learn and get it right this time.

Thanks for the point. You’re right-on.

By-the-way; I'm working two jobs at the moment and so I scarcely get the time to enjoy the forum. Hence the time gap between posts. Sorry!

Bagdaddy
                          Last edited by bagdaddy; 12-23-2010, 11:46 AM. Reason: Additional comment.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...