• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Johnny Pal View Post

The speed bag tempo is in "waltz time." .....
    Johnny Pal - Speedbag Ace
    Actually, the "Triplet Rhythm", (which has the first beat [the punch] accented, and then two unaccented swinging rebounds) could be thought of as "waltz" rhythm since waltz rhythm is 3/4 time and the triplet rhythm is counted as 1,2,3,-1,2,3,-much like a waltz.

But as far as hitting to music, the two unpunched swinging rebounds are mostly irrelevant. The main punched accented beat is most important for that, and it can easily be used in 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4 time. And you can always change to the double punch (pass through) rhythm and be in time with all music time measures, 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4. You just have to know how to change the speed of your punching to sync the beats up together.

If you are a junior puncher, it's probably a good idea to start with a rock and roll beat.
    that's true. It is pretty easy to punch in straight time, using just the four front punching techniques. Pick some older solid 4/4 beat rock and roll. Most of your 1950, 1960 standards. I think the reason for this is: there is not a lot of "funk" or syncopation in the beat to detract your attention. Just a solid easy beat to follow. Just tap your foot to the beat and do the basic rhythm to it. Every time your foot taps, your fist hits in the triplet rhythm. The unpunched swinging rebounds will add some interesting sounds, but mean nothing to keeping the beat. When you understand more about rhythm, especially rhythm counting, or IF you can feel the bag beat, you can also pass your fists though front-to-back or side-to-side in perfect time in the double bounce rhythm. That will give you more accented punch beats, but you can still stay in perfect sync with the music if you time it right.

.. Although most rock songs are fast, they translate to "slow" when punching the speedbag.
    I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. I have found two distinct styles or ways to punch the speed bag to music. One is what I call straight time punching, and one is punching in syncopated combinations. The speed of either can range from very fast to very slow, depending on the beat speed of the music. Some songs punch slow in the basic punching pattern, but then jump to warp speed to use syncopated combinations. A quick example is punching to Foggy Mtn Breakdown. notice from 0-33 seconds I'm punching in what I call basic rhythm style. Every main punch is ON the beat, and I'm punching at medium speed.
    at .33 seconds, I completetly change punch style to the punching in "syncopated rhythms". To make the bag beats match the music, I have to punch a lot faster. I do this from .34 until about 1min 37sec, then change back to the basic time punching (to rest) until 1m45 sec, then finish in syncopated punching combinations.

I could elect to punch the whole song in the medium speed basic punching, or go much faster in syncopated punching. Some songs work just the opposite, where you have to punch much faster in the basic pattern but go slower to find the syncopated combinations to match.

The punching speed required really depends on the style of bag beat you want to keep. Most people "hear" and "feel" the basic punching beats easier until they understand how the syncopated punching combinations work. That is a little more complicated.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny Pal
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2007

Punching to Music

Thanks for da great comments Alan. Flavor me a do and put on a 40's big band swing record and see how well it works you. Yes, you can double up the rebound on any meter whether it be rock, salsa, swing, etc. Your analysis is deep, but can we dumb it down a tad - we seem to be getting wrapped around the axle with technicalities. Punching aficionados can just put the music on and see how it drives them. Many may not understand your abstruse analysis of meter. So before we talk them out of any approach, give them a chance to try what one is trying to impart.

Seen your work guy - solid as a hickory stick.

Comment

• BillyMack
        • Sep 2006

Johnny Pal

Where in LA are you? I live in Santa Monica and work in San Marino. Do you ever make it to Venice Beach? I could meet you there with a ghetto blaster sometime and we can hit to music together....lemme know!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks for da great comments Alan. Flavor me a do and put on a 40's big band swing record and see how well it works you...

No problem. Big Band era swing is easy and basic rhythm punching fits it perfectly. Especially when the song has an accent emphasis on the "2" and "4" beat, which most do.

a few suggestions might be: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy or string of pearls or Chattanooga Cho Cho

Of course, I'm personally prejudiced to the Bands like Benny Goodman that featured the big drum tunes such as Sing Sing Sing with Gene Krupa.

Most of these tunes aren't very fast by modern standards, so the speed bag punching isn't real fast (not that it matters, unless you just have to punch fast...)
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Until I can do it myself, I wanna see someone hit to Chimaira's "The Dehumanizing Process" or "Pure Hatred" Hell anything from Chimaira, Slayer or Cannibal Corpse
            sigpic

Comment

• Johnny Pal
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              No problem. Big Band era swing is easy and basic rhythm punching fits it perfectly. Especially when the song has an accent emphasis on the "2" and "4" beat, which most do.

a few suggestions might be: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy or string of pearls or Chattanooga Cho Cho

Of course, I'm personally prejudiced to the Bands like Benny Goodman that featured the big drum tunes such as Sing Sing Sing with Gene Krupa.

Most of these tunes aren't very fast by modern standards, so the speed bag punching isn't real fast (not that it matters, unless you just have to punch fast...)

OWWWW DAS WHAT I'M TAUKIN BOUT!!!! FIRE T'UP!!

Comment

• Johnny Pal
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Aug 2007

Alohaa Billy - Brah, used to slam da kine at Venice Beach back in da day - ha, ha was kicked out a number of times cuz dem tennis players don't dig rebound noise. Also got tired of bringing my own swivel, bolts and nuts cuz them suckers beat up or steal the swivels at nite. Kick it once in a while at a gym in Carson where there are some stable wall mounts. Usual problems though with good swivels, ya know, those clunky rhythm bustin chain-link ones really suck; also problems with swivel not fitting the gym's swivels.

Bust em up brah.
                Johnny Pal

Comment

• Johnny Pal
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Aug 2007

Thas what I'm taukin bout Alan . . . Fire it up with some stimulatin sounds.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

I will eventully hit to Chimaira, Slayer Exodus,Hatebreed etc.......til then i'll keep hearing it in my head, there's other genres; funk, hip hop, acid jazz, that get my respect, but I'm fixated on the metal!!!!! Always have been
                    sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      I will eventully hit to Chimaira, Slayer Exodus,Hatebreed etc.......til then i'll keep hearing it in my head, there's other genres; funk, hip hop, acid jazz, that get my respect, but I'm fixated on the metal!!!!! Always have been

I gotta admit, I'm not up on the later or modern metal bands. I can't say I've heard of any songs those bands play, ( at least no off hand that I can remember...). I'll have to see if I can find some and punch 'em up and see how they do....
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...